Who here is close enough to drive to your port...

Its the other way around for me, 30 min to San pedro and 1.5 hrs to San Diego i'm going before you on 15-nt to Hawaii :D counting the days.....

HI- WHICH DIAMOND CRUISE TREAD ARE YOU POSTING ON?:cool: WE ARE ON THE 12/3 DIAMOND THREAD.:D P&T IN SD

In reading the posts, I was glad to hear that Tampa is actually closer than Port Canaveral for us. We have driven to Canaveral, (nice easy port) as well as Miami so far in our cruising life. We will drive to Tampa in 11 days, and are really looking forward to our first cruise with other friends along. The cruise from Miami was great, but getting in the car afterward for the long drive home was hard! Miami has better itineraries, but the long drive keeps us closer to home.

We live in Charlotte, NC, which is a 4-hour drive from Charleston and 5 hours from Norfolk. Choices are limited from those 2 ports, though. We sailed on the Majesty (Only 1 of 2 ships out of Charleston) and carried EVERYTHING!! For the next one we're still flying to Miami, though. God protect us from losing our luggage! :eek:

The upside? Hubby travels a lot for work, so we have TONS of frequent flyer miles and hotel points! God knows we earned 'em!

Only 45 minutes to the Tampa port, but can you believe we've never used it? :eek: That would put us only about 2.5 hours to Port Canaveral, and about 4 hours to Miami.

DH didn't want to cruise, but I FINALLY talked him into trying a short cruise. Only thing that fit into our crazy work schedule is the Sensation on Aug 2. Only 9 days to go! :)

20 mins from port of Baltimore and maybe 3 hrs from Cape Liberty. Both really great and efficient ports. Was onboard in Baltimore withing 15 mins both times and same thing in Cape LIberty, well maybe 20 mins at Cape Liberty.

Annieeee

We live in Charleston SC but have never sailed out of here. We have driven to Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale and we will be driving again this time to Port Canaveral. The first time we cruised, my hubby had just gotten back from Iraq and we were living in Tampa at the time - we WALKED to the port! We lived on Harbour Island and just walked across the bridge :D

20 minutes to Tampa, 2.5 hrs to Port Canaveral, 4.5 hrs to Ft. Lauderdale, but no time from possible hurricanes. Always pros and cons.

Cruzincurt,

Same thing here. In fact we generally don't cruise, or do any serious travelling, during hurricane season. We'd rather be here holding the house together than off somewhere wondering whether we'll have a home when we return.

It takes us around nine hours to drive to Port Canaveral and four to Charleston. We drove (one time ...fly only all others) to Ft. Lauderdale.

We have been thinking about driving to Baltimore for a Canadian next year.

I agree with a previous poster that I wish more lines would offer sailings out of Charleston. Hint..hint..Holland America.

Missygirl

Funny, I booked my cruise out of NY so we wouldn't have to fly (there are 4 of us) and I was trying to save money. We live in Philadelphia and it's just under 2 hours door to door. Well we don't want to park either b/c our cruise is 14 days and that adds up too. I suggested taking the Trenton line (train) which is quick and inexpensive but DH doesn't want to be bothered with all the luggage and 2 kids. So he wants to take a LIMO. I searched until I found one at a decent price. Igot one for $550 round trip including tip/tolls/gas. Not too bad, but the whole point in leaving NY was not to pay airfare and we are spending 550 anyway.

30 mins from Boston but don't wanna do a Bermuda-only itinerary (or NCL, for that matter)

4 hours to NYC, but it will be worth it!! and i love those sea days!

it's not even about the money for me, i just can't stand the hassle of flying these days.

30 mins from Boston but don't wanna do a Bermuda-only itinerary (or NCL, for that matter)

4 hours to NYC, but it will be worth it!! and i love those sea days!

it's not even about the money for me, i just can't stand the hassle of flying these days.

Oh my gosh, Bermuda is beautiful! I hope more ships come to NY and Boston. Flying to Florida is certainly a hassle, I agree! Is Boston a smaller port? I would love to see longer cruises to the Carribean from there. :)

Husband won't fly. We drove to Jaxport last year. It will probably take us 8 or 9 hours to get to Port Canaveral in September. We live in North Carolina. Hopefully they will have more options in Norfolk and Charleston in the future.

instead of flying? I know there are SO many who fly in for their cruises, but wondered who else drives to port, and how close the nearest (or most favored) port is to them?

We're in south Georgia and drive approximately 3 hours to Port Canaveral.

We drove 7 hours to Miami for another. I'm wishing Jacksonville would get more ships and iteneraries.

For me; it's probably a good thing I'm not near any ports, I cruise enough as it is:D .

New York, Baltimore and Norfolk are the closest(about 8-10+ hour drive). We will be driving to Bayonne pier on our Bermuda cruise next year. I can't wait, we always fly so this will be a new experience for us.

Too bad the ships dont sail anywheres that it is warm from Seattle or Vancouver......

:(:(:(:(:(

I have to get airfare if I want warm weather.

I will trade anyone in Florida...

I live halfway between Seattle and Vancouver, so if I ever wanted to cruise to Alaska, I could drive. I have no ambition to cruise to Alaska. I have enough rain, green, cold here in Washington State.

Archived