Who here is close enough to drive to your port...

instead of flying? I know there are SO many who fly in for their cruises, but wondered who else drives to port, and how close the nearest (or most favored) port is to them?

We're in south Georgia and drive approximately 3 hours to Port Canaveral.

We drove 7 hours to Miami for another. I'm wishing Jacksonville would get more ships and iteneraries.

We drive from Rome, GA, which is north of Atlanta. It is about an 8 hr. drive for us to Port Canaveral, which isn't too bad. I would like to see more ships leave from Charleston, which is where my sister lives.

We will be driving down to Mobile for an October cruise on the HOLIDAY. It's only 4.5 hours. Last year we drove to Tampa and that was a killer for a cruise on the MIRACLE. We are closer to Charlston than we are to Jacksonville.

:D Jack

We are in Clermont Florida..directly west of Orlando.........

Tampa is 1 hr. 10 minutes

Canaveral is 1 hr. 25 minutes (depending on traffic)

Ft. Lauderdale is 4 hours (give or take depending on the traffic)

I agree, I would love to see more in Jacksonville.......

I am in the same boat as Janetz. 40 minutes Boston and 3 hours NY. The cruises that leave from these ports are nothing that interest me. Too much out at sea time. I have been to Bermuda too many times because that was our closest Spring Break place in college, lol.

Parking at the NYC terminal is now $24 a day; or pay for the monthly pass for $180 which is less than that. We've taken AMTRAK to NYC in the past, but we're driving next year. We'd like to be able to bring more with us and our huge mini van is perfect for that. It still ends up being cheaper than the 4 of us flying OR taking AMTRAK.

For Norfolk, we're driving (3 day cruise to nowhere!!!)

For Miami, we'll fly. It'd take about 18 hours or more to drive there!! :eek:

I live 35 minutes from Galveston. Actually, I am a student at UTMB (University of Texas Medical Branch) which is in Galveston so I'm on the island regularly. My route to campus passes right by the ships and if you sit on a certain side of our classrooms you can see the ships in port. It's a tease!

I live in Jacksonville and am sailing the Celebration soon. Im looking forward to driving 20 minutes for free rather than flying to Ft. Lauderdale for $300. Does anyone know if carnival is going to add any new iteneraries or other cruise lines will sail out of Jax???

Parking at the NYC terminal is now $24 a day; or pay for the monthly pass for $180 which is less than that. We've taken AMTRAK to NYC in the past, but we're driving next year. We'd like to be able to bring more with us and our huge mini van is perfect for that. It still ends up being cheaper than the 4 of us flying OR taking AMTRAK.

For Norfolk, we're driving (3 day cruise to nowhere!!!)

For Miami, we'll fly. It'd take about 18 hours or more to drive there!! :eek:

At the Brooklyn terminal, where Princess docks it is 18.00 per day. I wonder why the difference? :)

I drove from Sacramento,CA to Seattle last year. It was part of my vacation. Saw a friend in WA and then went to my sister's (in a suburb of Seattle). Took a couple of days but it worked out well.

This year I am going from San Francisco (about 1 1/2 hours or so). I don't like flying anymore so figure I will leave from CA ports if at all possible. I can handle the drive to LA or San Diego. I guess if I want to do European ports I am going to have to fly . LOL

We have driven to ALL of our ports. The wife and I enjoy the drive. We have driven to:

Norfolk..............3 hours

Charleston.........4 hours

Port Canaveral....9 hours

Tampa.............10 hours

Ft. Lauderdale...13 hours

Miami...............13 hours

1.5 hours to either New Orleans or Mobile, although my first cruise isn't until September 13. I'm SO excited about Triumph coming to NOLA and another ship replacing the Holiday. I may have sailed out of Mobile before if it weren't for everyone talking about the "pee smell" all over the Holiday.

We live in RI. We had the choice of driving to either NYC or Boston for our Bermuda cruise. We choose NYC every time: can't beat that sail away in front of the Statue of Liberty! :D

Archived