Who here is close enough to drive to your port...

I am about 20 minutes from the Port of Miami and 45 minutes from Port Everglades, Ft Lauderdale. I get dropped off by family and don't incur any expense getting there or coming back home. Helps a lot as parking is $15 a day or so.

I live in Jacksonville and am sailing the Celebration soon. Im looking forward to driving 20 minutes for free rather than flying to Ft. Lauderdale for $300. Does anyone know if carnival is going to add any new iteneraries or other cruise lines will sail out of Jax???

I heard that they wanted to see the interest in the port, and that if it did well, they would then build a bigger port to accomodate bigger ships and more varied iteneraries (you'd think I could spell that by now...) .:rolleyes:

That's just the way I heard it. Either way, it would be nice! Port Canaveral isn't that bad for us, and we don't get to cruise so often that we would be taking the same cruise over and over again (only did the Bahamas SOS trip twice because of price and scheduling). It'd be nice to have another one close by. I LOVED cruising out of Miami, however. I'm a small town girl, and it was such a TV moment, sailing out of there. I thought I was something else! :D

I could drive 15 mins to Norfolk, VA but there are very few ships leaving out of Norfolk. We usually fly to either FL or San Juan

We are out of VA BCH too...:D It would be great to be able to save on that airfare. As it is, we are flying to New Orleans for our 1st cruise. Baltimore wouldn't be too bad a drive, about 4 hours.

20 minute subway and bus ride away from NYC pier. $2.00 metrocard gets me to the pier. Been on the Dawn 3 times in 4 years!!:)

Native New Yorker. Be happy to answer any questions :confused: about the local area.

5 hrs to Charleston, 3.5 to Norfolk, 10 hrs to Tampa, 9 hrs to Jax, 12 to Mobile, 15 to NO. I will drive to all of them, but I wll fly to Miami. We have friends 1 hr south of Tampa that we will get to hang with. Our last road trip vacation was the Gulf Coast and our last stop was NO and it was not a bad drive for us.

I live 35 minutes from Galveston. Actually, I am a student at UTMB (University of Texas Medical Branch) which is in Galveston so I'm on the island regularly. My route to campus passes right by the ships and if you sit on a certain side of our classrooms you can see the ships in port. It's a tease!

I hear ya! In the winter, with the windows open, we can hear the ships blasts to call folks back to the ship - makes me want to...oh well, you know!:rolleyes: We live 5 blocks from the port & I frequently see ships coming & going on my way to & from work.

On topic, we usually rent a car for one day each way - it's cheaper than paying for parking & we always go up the day before. It's not that unusual for there to be an accident on US 1 that closes the road & it's not worth the risk. We can drive to all FL ports easily, but so far have only needed to go to MIA & FLL.

Usually fly to Florida or San Juan, but in 6 weeks we will be driving from Central NY to Baltimore. Says it's a 5 1/2 hour trip, down side is port parking, $140 for our b2b on Grandeur.

We live in Central Texas so we have to drive 3 hours to get to Galveston. We have also cruised out of Mobile and that was a 10 hour+ drive. We flew to Port Canaveral when we cruised on the Fantasy and the Glory. We would love to have another cruise port in Texas. Corpus Christi would be a great place for another Texas cruise port. I envy people who live in Florida because they have so many cruise options.

Happy cruising to all!!

browneyes7 from Texas:o

My wife and I are sailing on the Conquest 9-9-07. We live about 8-9 hours from Galveston, but that's not far by Texas standards :p . Actually I didn't want to drive that far, we originally were going to sail out of Florida somewhere or San Juan, but after comparing cost we decided we could drive to Galveston since it was going to end up costing about half the price of leaving out of FLA or SJ. Plus it saved dealing with airports (I don't mind flying but the airport thing is a PITA!) I also have some relatives that live about 45 miles west of Houston so we're gonna stay the night with them and visit before we sail.

JHC

But there are not a whole lot of cruises from there.In fact I understand the Rhapsody (on which we sail next week) will be moving to Asia soon.

No complaints though...it's a quick & easy drive, and saves lots of $$ on flights!! :)

I heard that they wanted to see the interest in the port, and that if it did well, they would then build a bigger port to accomodate bigger ships and more varied iteneraries (you'd think I could spell that by now...) .:rolleyes:

That's just the way I heard it. Either way, it would be nice! Port Canaveral isn't that bad for us, and we don't get to cruise so often that we would be taking the same cruise over and over again (only did the Bahamas SOS trip twice because of price and scheduling). It'd be nice to have another one close by. I LOVED cruising out of Miami, however. I'm a small town girl, and it was such a TV moment, sailing out of there. I thought I was something else! :D

Meg-That is great news and Ive read a few other threads that support that info. Where do you live now?

instead of flying? I know there are SO many who fly in for their cruises, but wondered who else drives to port, and how close the nearest (or most favored) port is to them?

We're in south Georgia and drive approximately 3 hours to Port Canaveral.

We drove 7 hours to Miami for another. I'm wishing Jacksonville would get more ships and iteneraries.

i live in clermont and am from cocoa. whats nice about that is, i drive over there and a friend brings us to the port. gotta love that

Can't beat driving into Boston on route 495...45 minutes tops.. Yes, there are other ships beside NCL coming to Boston..as for NYC...another drag...forget Miami... did it twice flying and I swore I'd never do it again..Instead,I would rather fly to Europe and do a trans-atlantic. BTW can never get enough of going to Bermuda from Boston.

Archived