Valuables on the beach?

Lynnie0403

What do you do with your valuables (S & S Card, money, etc) while you're on the beach or in the water? I'm traveling only with my DH and I imagine we'd both want to go in the water at the same time. I've seen those "waterproof" wallets on the internet, but wonder if they really work? Does anyone have any recommendations for a specific kind?

Also, I've seen posts on here that say to always take your passport with you when you leave the ship. I've been told by a family member who's traveled quite frequently never to take it off the ship, but to take a photo copy when going on excersions. Any thoughts on this?

I won't be trying this wallet till August, but from what I've heard it's pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/600-Aquapac-KEYMASTER/dp/B0000DID5G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5640620-4464801?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1184020342&sr=8-1

It's from a scuba shop, so I guess if scuba guys use it, then it will keep my ID and money dry enough. Also, I'm only taking water proof disposable cameras off the ship so if it gets stolen its not too much of a loss.

Online reviews for many supposedly waterproof carriers are quite mixed, with one person singing praises and the next condemning the same product. I'm thinking that a snap buckle type nylon fanny pack that can hold a waterproof ziplock plastic bag may be all I need for securing my money, keys, S&S card and passport copy when snorkeling, cave tubing, etc. I don't think I'd risk this approach for protecting electronics, but has anyone had any experience with going this route for less sensitive items?

What about cameras & video equipment?

Same question. I want to bring my digital camera with me, not a disposable, and have bought a watertight case but I don't know where to put it so that I'm not just holding it while swimming. There'll only be two of us and we'll probably both want to be in the water at the same time and I'm not comfortable relying on the "kindness of strangers" to watch our stuff.

Sorry to differ, but a copy of your passport will not help you much if you get stranded in a foreign country.

Actually, having been through the quoted experience myself, I was able to cut through a lot of red tape by having just the NUMBERS of my passport, not even a photocopy.

Plus, I would think if you were coming from a cruise ship you would be doubly protected due to the fact the ship's records (as well as the passport in your room safe) could verify your identity.

What I'm not sure about is whether you are required to take your actual passport with you when you go ashore at every port of call. In the more stringent countries, probably. But in the Caribbean? Surely our more experienced cruisers can tell us the answer.

Also, I've seen posts on here that say to always take your passport with you when you leave the ship. I've been told by a family member who's traveled quite frequently never to take it off the ship, but to take a photo copy when going on excersions. Any thoughts on this?

Why would you not have your passport with you? International travel is the very reason you have a passport in the first place. In the worst case scenario, you dont make it back to the ship in time for whatever reason (bus trouble, medical issue, etc...) and do not have your passport with you...you're toast. A photo copy of the signature page will do you no good in a foreign land. Leave a photo copy in your cabin safe.

Plus, I would think if you were coming from a cruise ship you would be doubly protected due to the fact the ship's records (as well as the passport in your room safe) could verify your identity.

Youre assuming the ship is still in port when something happens. In that case, your probably right. But if the ship isnt in port, then what?? Again, why wouldnt you have your passport with you? It does you no good on the ship. Not everyone takes excursions booked through the cruiseline, and some people like to explore on their own. Stuff happens.

Sorry to say this, but the Beach Safe that I bought from CC leaked, and I threw it out. It wasn't worth it to send it back for the refund. I have an expensive little pouch that I wear around my neck while in the water. It has two little clips that turn to lock it and make it water tight. I agree that you can probabky find something really good at REI or a dive shop. I bought mine online a few years ago through a link I found here on CC, but I don't remember who the manufacturer is. It's blue.

Stuff happens.
In terms of passports.... here is what I've been told....

if you aren't carrying it onshore then please don't lock it in your room safe... it should be secured with the cruise line. Then if you don't return they can leave your passport with the port agent. Hence if the ship isn't there then you know to go to the port agent next. Of course that assumes you took the port agent info with you from the ship. If the passport is locked in your room safe then the ship won't know that you don't have the passport with you before they leave port

Please note that some ports will require you to have your passport with you. So you need to check these details with the cruise line before you depart. From the postings I've read here on CC I know that HAL posts this type of info in the daily program including the port agent info.

What I'm not sure about is whether you are required to take your actual passport with you when you go ashore at every port of call. In the more stringent countries, probably. But in the Caribbean?

As of two weeks ago, we were NOT required to have a passport at Cococay, St. Thomas, or St Maarten. Any photo ID was sufficient. But passport requirements seem to be up in the air these days; you might want to check the cruise line's website for up-to-date info.

• 7 months later...
Actually, having been through the quoted experience myself, I was able to cut through a lot of red tape by having just the NUMBERS of my passport, not even a photocopy.

What I'm not sure about is whether you are required to take your actual passport with you when you go ashore at every port of call. In the more stringent countries, probably. But in the Caribbean? Surely our more experienced cruisers can tell us the answer.

I can tell you as a frequent business traveler to the US, Europe and Asia that it is highly recommended by the airlines and travel agencies alike that you keep a photo copy of your passport with you for when you are out and about AND make sure you keep the photo copy and passport in separate places in case you are robbed or lose one. It will make it easier if you need to go to your consulate or embassy to get a replacement passport.

Cheers!

Same question. I want to bring my digital camera with me' date=' not a disposable, and have bought a watertight case but I don't know where to put it so that I'm not just holding it while swimming. There'll only be two of us and we'll probably both want to be in the water at the same time and I'm not comfortable relying on the "kindness of strangers" to watch our stuff.[/quote']

Bury it in a beach bag while the 2 of you swim...definitely a gamble.

Only one of you swim at a time...

Some beaches have lockers...no guarantee, though.

Deal w/ it and buy a disposable waterproof for just this. I was surprised at the quality of photo. Could bury it in my beach bag and not even CARE if someone takes it!

We bought dry boxes online, around $10 or $15 for 2 (sorry, no idea site or brand). Hard plastic box about the size of a credit card (varying widths) to slide the items in, lock shut w/ a cord to slip around neck or wrist.

We jet skiied w/ ours securely around our wrists (even fell OFF the jet ski!) Nothing got wet at all.

Archived