Hyatt Churchill or Renaissance Chancery Court

I'm taking my daughter to London in August and wanted opinions on either of these hotels. I stayed at the Hyatt Churchill a few years ago when it was an Intercontinental so at least know the location well. I have reservations at both for now and need to cancel one, both are on the club floor and around the same price. I had to book the Renaissance for the night prior to our arrival in order to secure the weekend rate so when I add up 4 nights at the Hyatt and the 5 nights at the Renaissance they're within a $100 of each other.

Any thoughts on which would be the better location?

For a tourist, I would have thought the Renaissance would be the more convenient location. It's five minutes' walk from the Covent Garden area, with all its theatres and restaurants. It's also pretty easy to get to many of the main sights by different forms of transport.

For a tourist, I would have thought the Renaissance would be the more convenient location. It's five minutes' walk from the Covent Garden area, with all its theatres and restaurants. It's also pretty easy to get to many of the main sights by different forms of transport.

Thanks, you helped me tremendously 2 years ago while planning our pre-cruise stay in London.

With the exception of staying at 51 Buckingham Gate since we had the whole family last time my husband and I usually tend to stay in the Mayfair area. I do have play tickets to see In Celebration with Orlando Bloom for my daughter so I guess the Renaissance may be the better location.

Any idea which is the nicer hotel?

We're seeing the play at the Duke or York Theatre on Tuesday evening. Any suggestions on a fun play to bring my daughter for dinner that's not too fancy? I've already eaten at Rules and the Ivy on trips past but she's actually only eaten at Pubs and a few times at various Wagamamas. Is the Ivy still a great place?

We're seeing the play at the Duke or York Theatre on Tuesday evening. Any suggestions on a fun play to bring my daughter for dinner that's not too fancy?
A couple of weeks ago, I was organising a pre-theatre supper for a group of friends and found a restaurant called the Palm Court Brasserie, which is about a five minute walk away. This might just fit the bill for you. We did the three courses plus bellini for GBP 15 offer that you might see on that page. The starters were nothing to write home about, but the mains and desserts were very good, making that offer very good value. Map showing restaurant location here.

The Ivy is still a reasonably good place for celebrity spotting, and decent food. I don't go often because it's so difficult to get in. But many theatrical celebrities have apparently now decamped to a place called the Wolseley (or something like that).

You might take a look at J Sheekey which offers some of the best fish in London.

The Wolseley crowd are now to be seen at Scotts in mount street, which has undergone a wonderful transformation and is in the Ivy group of restaurants.

The Palm Court Brasserie does indeed look "not too fancy" which is what you asked for.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a stay at the Chancery Court and really thought it was one of the nicer Marriott properties that I have ever stayed in. The hotel is super clean and comfortable, the service is first rate, and the location is great - 5 minutes to Covent Gardens and 1 block to the High Holborn tube station.

One thing to be cautious about when travelling with kids to the Chancery Court is that the Executive lounge is supposed to be restricted to kids over 16. We ignored this rule for breakfast as our kids are only 12 & 14, but we didn't use the lounge much in the afternoon as we have in other locations.

I just got back from a stay at the Chancery Court and really thought it was one of the nicer Marriott properties that I have ever stayed in. The hotel is super clean and comfortable, the service is first rate, and the location is great - 5 minutes to Covent Gardens and 1 block to the High Holborn tube station.

One thing to be cautious about when travelling with kids to the Chancery Court is that the Executive lounge is supposed to be restricted to kids over 16. We ignored this rule for breakfast as our kids are only 12 & 14, but we didn't use the lounge much in the afternoon as we have in other locations.

Thanks. My daughter is 19 so no matter where we go we should be fine.

I actually ended up booking the Intercontinental London on Park Lane as they finally lowered the rates a bit. The location is great and it was reopened a few months back after being closed for 1.5 years for a $150 million re-do. Travel and Leisure voted it one of the Top 100 new hotels to try and we stayed there a few years back so at least I know the area well.

I'll be sure and post after I return in case anyone is interested in staying there in the future.

I'm taking my daughter to London in August and wanted opinions on either of these hotels. I stayed at the Hyatt Churchill a few years ago when it was an Intercontinental so at least know the location well. I have reservations at both for now and need to cancel one, both are on the club floor and around the same price. I had to book the Renaissance for the night prior to our arrival in order to secure the weekend rate so when I add up 4 nights at the Hyatt and the 5 nights at the Renaissance they're within a $100 of each other.

My daugher and I stayed at the Renaissance Chauncery Court and it was indeed lovely. We very much enjoyed it and the location was great. You are very close to a subway station so it is very easy to get around. I don't think you will go wrong staying there.

My daugher and I stayed at the Renaissance Chauncery Court and it was indeed lovely. We very much enjoyed it and the location was great. You are very close to a subway station so it is very easy to get around. I don't think you will go wrong staying there.

Thanks, but I ended up getting reservations at the Intercontinental Park Lane. We leave Saturday and will be back Friday night so I'll be sure and post a review of the hotel when I return.

Archived