TUX WEARERS: Shoes

Leo Jay

What Shoes Do You Wear With Your Tuxedo?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What Shoes Do You Wear With Your Tuxedo?

• Patent Leather Formal Pumps/Slippers
    • Patent Leather Oxfords
    • Non-Patent Formal Pumps/Slippers
    • Regular Dress Shoes

Do you bring a pair of formal shoes, or make your regular dress shoes do double-duty?

Formal shoes (patent leather) are always my choice with tux or dinner jacket.

Although, since we dance it was black and white patent Spectators (jazz shoes) on this last cruise.

I'll usually travel to the cruise in dress Loafers with slax and sport coat of some kind for those other nights.

I'll usually travel to the cruise in dress Loafers with slax and sport coat of some kind for those other nights.

Me too -- saves having to pack (and steam) one set of dinner clothes. Makes for a nicer embarkation photo, too, I guess...

Haberdasher extraordinaire Alan Flusser said it best in Dressing the Man:

"The formal shoe is as distinct from other male footwear as the dinner jacket is from a suit. Like other validations of white or black-tie gentility, the formal shoe must imbue the dress trouser with a certain swank while affording the foot enough lightness and comfort to help dance the night away. Sometimes shiny, sometimes appointed with a silk bow, yet always appearing more like a slipper than a shoe, the formal shoe is the only appropriate way to finish off the formal ensemble."

Do you bring a pair of formal shoes, or make your regular dress shoes do double-duty?

If choosing the double-duty option at least make sure that the shoes are plain toe or cap toe (wing tips or brogues are too casual) and that they are spit-polished to a mirror-like shine.

I bring my lace-up patent leather shoes. Had them for almost 20 years and they are in GREAT shape. Not to mention comfortable.

I usually pack them with socks, underware or what ever. They keep the shape, and it helps buy not using up more space.

Of course I also bring my black leather cap-toe oxfords for informal/semi-formal and casual evenings.

However, If in the case of emergeny or simply you do not have tux shoes, they can be rented for about 10.00 for the length of the cruise.

Dave:eek:

DH always wears his formal tux shoes. When he bought his tux about 4 years ago, they offered the formal tux shoes at a substantial discount. I thought dh would just wear his regular black dress shoes so imagine my surprise when he bought the formal ones! I have to say that those shoes are the finishing touch and am glad he bought them.

I love these:

martini.jpgThey have some other fun black velvet slippers too--but hubby still thinks $350is too much to pay for a pair of shoes, esp. shoes he'd wear so infrequently:rolleyes:

Wow Hoyaheel, I'm with hubby on this one, aside from the the price, I'm having a difficult time imagining the appropriate location & occasion these would be worn.

Hollywood or Vegas comes to mind, not to offend anyone from there of course.-)

Haberdasher extraordinaire Alan Flusser said it best in Dressing the Man:

They could give Alan Flusser a coronary!!

I learned about the Stubbs & Wooten shoes from a New York society party photo--so that would be one place to wear them;) Just a touch of whimsy for a very self-assured man to wear with his formal attire.....And I actually prefer the velvet slippers with the Jolly Roger to the martini glass, didn't look on the website long enough to find them: skull.jpg

I learned about the Stubbs & Wooten shoes from a New York society party photo--so that would be one place to wear them;) Just a touch of whimsy for a very self-assured man to wear with his formal attire.....And I actually prefer the velvet slippers with the Jolly Roger to the martini glass, didn't look on the website long enough to find them: skull.jpg

Thanks Hoyaheel for the explanation, origin, and further example.

I thought them truly unusual, and perhaps they are all the fad at NY Society soirées. You can understand that we suffer from a lack of exposure to high fashion here in Texas, although self assurance is never an issue. Certainly we are known for some pretty outrageous attire and at time behavior, but we hope it isn't at a formal occasion.-)

Which two of you have the non-patent pumps? Are they velvet or leather? I erally wouldn't mind having a calfskin pair to rotate with the patents, but I really don't wear my tux enough to justify spending the money. :)

Archived