NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Hello, I am cruising in few weeks and have read several different answers so trying to clarify-- is the OBC from the credit card listed on account then charges just applied to it? Gratuities etc. Or do they split it out and have OBC listed for purchases and gratuities separate for billing to credit card?  

Although, as many others have said, points for upgrades are the best value, but if you are not interested in that than do not get OBC.  Here’s why- if you were to charge $250 to your onboard account and pay that account with your MC you would get 750 points.  Then use the statement credit to pay off your credit card.  One gets you 750 points, the other gets you zero points 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, nazarene-lady said:

Hello, I am cruising in few weeks and have read several different answers so trying to clarify-- is the OBC from the credit card listed on account then charges just applied to it? Gratuities etc. Or do they split it out and have OBC listed for purchases and gratuities separate for billing to credit card?  

It should be all in one credit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the whole NCL credit card thing.

We're currently booked in the cheapest interior (not guarantee) cabin on the Dawn in Feb.

An upgrade to Oceanview price wise isn't too much extra. I just didn't like the Oceanview layout enough better to warrant paying for it right at the beginning.

I should have 30,000 points in 8 weeks or less.

Does anyone know what category of Oceanview I should pay to upgrade to so that I can use a point upgrade to get to a balcony?  Is this even possible at this point?

How long after the statement credits the points and I ask for them to be turned into an upgrade will it take?

Thanks all!

8 hours ago, alwalaska said:

We're currently booked in the cheapest interior (not guarantee) cabin on the Dawn in Feb.

An upgrade to Oceanview price wise isn't too much extra. I just didn't like the Oceanview layout enough better to warrant paying for it right at the beginning.

Does anyone know what category of Oceanview I should pay to upgrade to so that I can use a point upgrade to get to a balcony?  Is this even possible at this point?

How long after the statement credits the points and I ask for them to be turned into an upgrade will it take?

Thanks all!

If you are wanting to go from ocean view to balcony, what the Oceanview looks like is not relevant.

Book the highest regular ocean view like a OA or OB that way you have a better chance of using the points. You now can get a BF-BA cabin.

If you book the lowest Oceanview they may not have lowest balcony cabins so hedge it.

Doing this is possible up to a few days before sailing based on availability.

Once your billing cycle closes the points are there . So immediately you can call.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 9:16 PM, alwalaska said:

Thanks all!

You must book the highest category available on that ship.   I.e on many ships, the highest interior is an A1, referred to as a Family Inside., same goes for OV.  Thais will put you in a B-1 or any balcony lower than that if you like the location better.

Your NCL rep needs to know that you are going to use points to upgrade so she can get you in the right cabin.  Once you have your points (you do not need to upgrade at the time of making your reservation.) you call World Points (number is on your card or on the MC website.   Give them your reservation number and she will check your accounts, help you select an available room nand process your upgrade.   Before you call, do your homework.   Look at the deck plan and select a list of room you are interested in as well as a list of room that will not work for you.  This way if they decide to try and put you in a cabin right below the theater you can refuse.  Usually this is a very nice process, but I have on occasion gotten reps who have some kind of issues and try to do their best to put you in awful rooms.  Go figure, but stick to your guns.  If you get a difficult rep, just hang up and call back, or ask for a supervisor (it’s easier to call back).

the last time I booked they gave me a little speech that points could not be redeposited in the account if we cancelled.  That was absolute news to me, and I’ve probably upgraded 25 cruises with points.   The rep, a very nice fellow, said they had begun telling people that because of all the cancellations during covid, but thought it may be on more of a case by case basis.  Buyer beware.

it’s a great way to use your points.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Oh, forgot to say. Once your points are showing in your credit card account, you can use them.  The deduction happens within 48 hours, but usually nowadays it’s immediate.

remember you can do your upgrade at any time.   I emphasize this in case you see a good rate with perks go ahead and book the highest IN or OV there is on that ship.  You can upgrade later.

also, be aware that if NCL is offering a package such as dining that offers 2 free meals, be sure to read the fine print.  On some sailings that is for OV or Bal cabins.  IN May get only 1, so even after you upgrade you only get the perks in the category you paid for,  it upgraded to.   Also, be sure to look at the difference between an IN and OV.  Occasionally they are not that terribly different.  I booked one recently and the difference was about $110 pp.   rather than use 60,000 to get to a balcony, I paid the OV rate and only needed to use 30,000.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

remember you can do your upgrade at any time.   I emphasize this in case you see a good rate with perks go ahead and book the highest IN or OV there is on that ship.  You can upgrade later.

First I've heard that you had to book the best possible ov???

50 minutes ago, julig22 said:

First I've heard that you had to book the best possible ov???

Always been that way.  Of course, someone below reports that as there were no upper level balconies available to book, they charged them for a lower level cabin.  That is the first I’ve ever heard of that and I have never been given that opti N.  But I’m very glad to know it’s more fair.

18 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I wasn't aware of the "delayed upgrade" strategy and now that I am it's like a game of chicken between upgrading with points vs. bidding.  I guess it depends on availability, but if all you are going for is a balcony this is kind of a game changer.  Am I missing something here?  If your sailing has alot of cabin availability you could just wait until the last minute to find out if your bid is accepted (ex. I just won an upgrade from OV to Balcony for $100) vs. using 30K points.  Other than not being able to choose your cabin I see no downside...

Also, has anyone ever upgraded to a balcony using points and then bid on some higher category?

9 hours ago, smillerholmes said:

I wasn't aware of the "delayed upgrade" strategy and now that I am it's like a game of chicken between upgrading with points vs. bidding.  I guess it depends on availability, but if all you are going for is a balcony this is kind of a game changer.  Am I missing something here?  If your sailing has alot of cabin availability you could just wait until the last minute to find out if your bid is accepted (ex. I just won an upgrade from OV to Balcony for $100) vs. using 30K points.  Other than not being able to choose your cabin I see no downside...

Also, has anyone ever upgraded to a balcony using points and then bid on some higher category?

I am particular about my cabin location so I’m not a fan of bidding.   I also have a business that  allows me to rack up lots of points each month.   I do four to five cruises a year and upgrade with points.  It’s just a matter of your comfort level for cabin location. 

Sorry but I don't want to search this whole thread for this answer, if I book the cheapest OV, porthole, do I upgrade to the same balcony category as if I booked an OV picture window or family OV?  I just booked on the Gem, an OV porthole and the best they would give me with my points was  an upgrade to balcony BF, which is forward and an "enclosed" balcony. I asked the agent what would happen if I upgraded my OV to a picture window or family OV he said it didn't matter. BUT, I seem to remember a few years ago I booked a family OV and used points to a balcony BA. I don't book sail away because I need a cocktail once in a while. I appreciate any experienced opinions.

17 minutes ago, winemaker1 said:

Sorry but I don't want to search this whole thread for this answer, if I book the cheapest OV, porthole, do I upgrade to the same balcony category as if I booked an OV picture window or family OV?  I just booked on the Gem, an OV porthole and the best they would give me with my points was  an upgrade to balcony BF, which is forward and an "enclosed" balcony. I asked the agent what would happen if I upgraded my OV to a picture window or family OV he said it didn't matter. BUT, I seem to remember a few years ago I booked a family OV and used points to a balcony BA. I don't book sail away because I need a cocktail once in a while. I appreciate any experienced opinions.

Book highest OV and get a higher balcony based on availability.

Book cheapest OV get cheapest balcony which might not be available because people book the cheapest balcony to get a balcony.

6 minutes ago, winemaker1 said:

What is the date of your sailing?  It is possible there aren't any BA balconies available to upgrade to.

We are booked on the April 30 Gem Med cruise and the preceding Gem transatlantic cruise.

For the med cruise I booked an 04 OV stateroom (04s and OAs were same price) and used 30,000 points to upgrade to a BA balcony.  I changed stateroom numbers a couple of times as more desirable  locations became available.  On Sept 19th all of the remaining BA balconies disappeared.  

The following has nothing to do with point upgrades because BA is as high as you can go but on Sept 19 there were 41 B4 balconies left on deck 9 and 29 on deck 10.  Two days later (9/21) all of the B4 balconies disappeared.  It looks like there is one aft facing balcony left and the BF balcony category can be booked as guarantee without choosing a stateroom.  I'm hoping there is not a large group booked on this cruise because I don't understand how so many staterooms could disappear in one day.

21 hours ago, kjquilts said:

What is the date of your sailing?  It is possible there aren't any BA balconies available to upgrade to.

We are booked on the April 30 Gem Med cruise and the preceding Gem transatlantic cruise.

For the med cruise I booked an 04 OV stateroom (04s and OAs were same price) and used 30,000 points to upgrade to a BA balcony.  I changed stateroom numbers a couple of times as more desirable  locations became available.  On Sept 19th all of the remaining BA balconies disappeared.  

The following has nothing to do with point upgrades because BA is as high as you can go but on Sept 19 there were 41 B4 balconies left on deck 9 and 29 on deck 10.  Two days later (9/21) all of the B4 balconies disappeared.  It looks like there is one aft facing balcony left and the BF balcony category can be booked as guarantee without choosing a stateroom.  I'm hoping there is not a large group booked on this cruise because I don't understand how so many staterooms could disappear in one day.

So 70 cabins disappeared overnight? Wow a group is a logical explanation.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

So 70 cabins disappeared overnight? Wow a group is a logical explanation.

Yes, 70 B4 staterooms disappeared overnight.  I can't find any information on a group cruise for the April 30th Gem cruise by google searching.  I don't do FB so not sure if anything shows up there.

Edited by kjquilts

I am sailing on the Jan 25. When I upgraded there were BA balconies available, I asked for a specific room but was told I could only have a BF. I guess I created the problem by buying the cheapest OV which I will not do again. Thanks for all the comments.

Most standard balconies are the same layout and square footage.  The real difference between a BA and say a BF is location.   The BAs are more central while lower categories are usually further from midship.   We do not mind motion, actually kind of like it, and a few more steps is usually needed with all our gluttony.

On 9/27/2022 at 12:01 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

You must book the highest category available on that ship.   I.e on many ships, the highest interior is an A1, referred to as a Family Inside., same goes for OV.  Thais will put you in a B-1 or any balcony lower than that if you like the location better.

You do not have to book the highest category.  I often choose BF, so I can do just fine with booking the cheapest OV.

Just applied my points to an upcoming cruise - put all my negotiating skills to the test and now have a BF balcony for about half the current solo fare.  Originally booked BF but rebooked onboard OK (obstructed OV) on board, so got an upgrade to OA which also included a 10% discount for 2023 cruises. Then used points to upgrade back to BF, getting a cabin 4 doors down from the original booking (this particular cruise is GTY for all balconies anyway). Not sure that the OK-OA upgrade made any difference, paperwork shows OK-BF upgrade - but I'm very happy with the end result, saving about 2.5K from current pricing.

This is all very interesting and must reflect a change post covid.  Because I’ve probably used points to upgrade 25 or so cabins and world points have always said I needed to book top level IN or OV to get a balcony.   Now I am seeing people booking lesser levels to still get a balcony.  I think this is great because we often don’t want a BA, we prefer a more isolated balcony..   I’m going to have to remember this when I do my future upgrades.

this is so much better a deal.  Thanks for sharing.

Quick question for those with experience on upgrading using points.

If the ship does not have Oceanview (OV), would an inside to balcony be considered a single meta upgrade (30,000 points) or still a double?  I'm considering booking a gift cruise for my mom and stepfather on the Epic sailing that DH and I are booked on and the Epic does not have OV cabins.