NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

37 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I think you missed the point.  If you are using points to upgrade, it is 60k in points to upgrade from inside to balcony or $800 & 30k in points in this scenario.

I usually book ov and use my points to upgrade to balcony but looking at a spendy So Africa cruise and also debating which way to go.

Ahhh thanks julig22! I was just about to respond to this.  It's the spendy ones that get us in the end isn't it?  30K points is definitely worth more than $800 - I know you are a frequent solo traveler - what has been your experience with the solo supplements as a factor in the points equation?

What do I need to do to book a cruise with World points. I have more than 60,000 points plus I have 2 cruise certificates that were gifted to us. Can this be done at the same time? Can I do this directly with my travel agent or must it be done by phone with NCL? The time is getting close that I have to start using my points. Thanks so much!

7 hours ago, karinad said:

What do I need to do to book a cruise with World points. I have more than 60,000 points plus I have 2 cruise certificates that were gifted to us. Can this be done at the same time? Can I do this directly with my travel agent or must it be done by phone with NCL? The time is getting close that I have to start using my points. Thanks so much!

Book a cruise. Online, TA or direct.

Book the highest inside category IA.

Once you have confirmation, call NCL and ask for world points and tell them you want to redeem 60000 points for a double meta upgrade.

You should get an BA or BB cabin n.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Book a cruise. Online, TA or direct.

Book the highest inside category IA.

Once you have confirmation, call NCL and ask for world points and tell them you want to redeem 60000 points for a double meta upgrade.

You should get an BA or BB cabin n.

Will they allow me to use my gift certificates in combination with the meta upgrade?

On 6/20/2022 at 7:59 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

That could be hard but depending on the date, ship, and its capacity, it's possible.

Book OA that way you have the best chance for two adjoining.

Have you thought about the balcony for you and directly across the hall inside for the kids?

The question was about connecting cabins not adjoining.

If you have an American Express card, you may want to login to your AmEx account and check to see if you have a Travel Reward, specifically:

Check your AmEx account to see if you have a travel reward with NCL for $125 when you spend $500 with NCL. (You can find it in your AmEx account under the "Rewards & Benefits" category -> Earn and Redeem -> Amex Offers -> Travel). It might also not be available to everyone. It's either their or it's not.

For me it's been 1 year since it last appeared. As final payment is due for this voyage in September, I contacted my TA and had them pay NCL $500 using my AmEx towards my remaining balance. The remaining balance will then be paid against my NCL BoA card in September, (unless I can find additional AmEx card holders with this deal also available who aren't using it (LMK)).

Safe travels,

- WYB

2022_07 $500 - $125.png

I am new to NCL and booked an 11 night Caribbean cruise. I also took out the CC and will definitely have at least 30,000 miles by cruise time. I booked an ocean view cabin because the balcony was $2000 more for the 2 of us. But, according to the rewards page, I can upgrade to a balcony for 30,000 points. Is this correct?

2 hours ago, Cruiser1862 said:

I am new to NCL and booked an 11 night Caribbean cruise. I also took out the CC and will definitely have at least 30,000 miles by cruise time. I booked an ocean view cabin because the balcony was $2000 more for the 2 of us. But, according to the rewards page, I can upgrade to a balcony for 30,000 points. Is this correct?

Yes.

But you need to make sure you booked the highest ocean view such as an OA .

When you get enough points there may be no lower balcony available so book highest ocean view so you have 5 Balcony cabin categories to upgrade to.

43 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes.

But you need to make sure you booked the highest ocean view such as an OA .

When you get enough points there may be no lower balcony available so book highest ocean view so you have 5 Balcony cabin categories to upgrade to.

Thank you, yes I’m booked in an OA. 😀

On 7/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

What's the difference?

The OP wants a room next to them to put the younger children in is what I ascertained.

Adjoining is two cabins next to each other.
Connecting is two cabins next to each other that have an interior door CONNECTING The two cabins.

• Like 2

As I’ve stated I’m new to NCL. I recently took out the CC and am planning on having enough points (30,000)  to get an upgrade from an Oceanview to a balcony. 

I use a TA. I’m assuming that I have to take care of this upgrade myself by calling NCL. Also, if the current special has only (1) speciality dining  for an Oceanview, and (2) for a balcony, would I now get two?

my room is an OA class and I’m traveling late January. I won’t have these points until October as I get triple points using the CC for NCL purchases and I plan on using CC for my final payment which will bring me to the 30,000 points. Hopeful the ship will still have balconies available to upgrade to 

Thank you. If there’s anything else you can enlighten me with please do!

25 minutes ago, Cruiser1862 said:

As I’ve stated I’m new to NCL. I recently took out the CC and am planning on having enough points (30,000)  to get an upgrade from an Oceanview to a balcony. 

I use a TA. I’m assuming that I have to take care of this upgrade myself by calling NCL. Also, if the current special has only (1) speciality dining  for an Oceanview, and (2) for a balcony, would I now get two?

my room is an OA class and I’m traveling late January. I won’t have these points until October as I get triple points using the CC for NCL purchases and I plan on using CC for my final payment which will bring me to the 30,000 points. Hopeful the ship will still have balconies available to upgrade to 

Thank you. If there’s anything else you can enlighten me with please do!

You only get 1 specialty.

And with an OA you can get any balcony cabin so you are probably safe.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 11:18 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

Adjoining is two cabins next to each other.
Connecting is two cabins next to each other that have an interior door CONNECTING The two cabins.

No adjoining has a connecting door, that’s what makes them adJOINING.  The room next door is adjacent.   Look it up, if you like.  It’s an understandable confusion as many people use adjoining incorrectly

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:42 PM, 603NHCruiser said:

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, but I did a search and didn't find the answer. Does anyone travel with another person who also has the NCL card? Can guest 1 request a meta upgrade from inside to OV using 30k of their points and then guest requests OV to balcony using theirs? Seems like it would be a bit of a booking nightmare for them, but there should really be a reason why it would be a problem. TIA

My post was pending for a while, and by the time it was approved it was buried a few pages back. I was wondering if anyone may know the answer. if guests one and two have separate cards can one person upgrade from Inside to OV and the other go from OV to balcony? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 603NHCruiser said:

My post was pending for a while, and by the time it was approved it was buried a few pages back. I was wondering if anyone may know the answer. if guests one and two have separate cards can one person upgrade from Inside to OV and the other go from OV to balcony? 

If you mean passenger A uses points to advance the cabin to OV, then passenger B uses points to advance to Bal.  I’m not sure you could do that BUT the easiest thing to do is transfer points from A to B or vice versa, and do a double meta upgrade in one transaction.  There is no fee (unlike some airlines) to transfer points.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I’m not sure you could do that BUT the easiest thing to do is transfer points from A to B or vice versa, and do a double meta upgrade in one transaction.  

Thank you MagnoliaBlossom I just got the card a couple of weeks ago and didn't realize this was even a possibility. I imagine that you would just call the redemption number and give them the account of the person you are looking to transfer the points too?

20 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

No adjoining has a connecting door, that’s what makes them adJOINING.  The room next door is adjacent.   Look it up, if you like.  It’s an understandable confusion as many people use adjoining incorrectly

NCL uses the term connecting when there is an interior door connecting 2 adjacent rooms. An adjacent room may or may not have a connecting door. Adjoining simply means next to.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 603NHCruiser said:

Sorry I missed it.

Yes you can do it.  The easiest way is if you both are available to talk on the phone with the rep.

My wife and I have separate cards so we do that occasionally but the prior post is also correct about transferring points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

NCL uses the term connecting when there is an interior door connecting 2 adjacent rooms. An adjacent room may or may not have a connecting door. Adjoining simply means next to.

Adjoining does mean adjacent when you are referring to property, but in the hotel industry it is defined as:

An adjoining room is two guest rooms that are located next to each other and are connected by a locked door between them. Adjoining rooms may be booked together by request for one traveling party, or they may be booked separately by two different parties.

• Like 1