Please settle "discussion" about driving through Houston!

munchkin4

DH and I were discussing our drive from Oklahoma to Galveston and he insists that it would be better to take the 610 East Loop around Houston instead of just staying on I-45 all the way through Houston. We will be traveling through anywhere from 6 - 9 pm on a Saturday evening and going home after docking on the next Saturday morning. Help us out Housonites. Which do you recommend???

Definitely much faster to drive straight through on I-45. The weekend shouldn't be bad at all. The Loop will take you well out of the way. On I-45, the biggest concern is south of town in the Clear Lake area (30 minutes north of Galveston). They have been occasionally shutting the entire freeway down for construction on the weekend. It seems to have been slowing down recently as the bridge has been mostly built, but I'd check before coming just to be sure.

The straight shot on I-45 is shorter on the weekends. The only reason to take the 610 route on a weekday is due to the 6PM rush hour. Even on a weekday you would be going against the rush hour traffic until you pass downtown Houston and most of the congestion you would hit would be outside the loop so you would still be in it when you join back onto I-45 South.

In Houston all my above statements are dependent on not running into lane closings for construction or repair & not running into a traffic accident. You run this risk on either route and will run into construction on I-45 South from about Bay Area Blvd. to FM 518 (the League City exit). (There is ongoing major construction to create the NASA Rd. 1 bypass.) You will also hit narrow lanes and major construction on I-45 South from TIKI Island through the Galveston Causeway. (They are replacing the old Galveston Causeway with a new bridge.) Both of these construction areas still have three narrow lanes so the traffic moves but at a slower construction area pace. From time to time they will schedule a closing of lanes on the weekend for a major part of the construction process. We get very little advance on these closings so just check the TEXDOT web site before you leave.

I'm not as up to speed on the construction on the North side of Houston since I have not driven that stretch in a couple of months.

52 year Houston resident.

Ok, I'm waiting for someone to fuss at us ladies for telling DH's how to drive. We go thru the Houston area every summer and always go straight thru...it's not bad. Make a potty stop before getting too close, just in case!!! We usually hit it around lunch time and it flows smooth unless there's an accident...Safe driving..

... From time to time they will schedule a closing of lanes on the weekend for a major part of the construction process. We get very little advance on these closings so just check the TEXDOT web site before you leave...

Just trying to help more... here is the site.

txdotlogo.gif

Houston District Real-Time Construction Schedule

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/c...on_report.aspx

Kat070106YA43_prv.gif

Ok, I am going to be the oddball out but as a "visual" person, I see everything in my head (that sounds funny huh?) and going straight thru on 45 takes you right thru downtown. Getting on 610 east from I-45 actually puts you on the east side of downtown, thus bypassing extra milage. From 610 east you catch 45 again but on the south side. Traveling in on a Saturday, there really isnt any more traffic on 610 then any other freeway. If you do mapquest you can see which route is shorter and which is quicker. Either way, you will be fine. Happy cruising!

Ok I just checked mapquest and it gives the same way for shortest and quickest, but living in this area my whole life, I would personally go 610.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived