Vancouver Hotel Recommendations Please

I usually get my advice on hotels from tripadvisor but with Vancouver B.C. i'm getting so confused! There just seems to be so many, many, many places to stay, and all have positive and negative reviews. The only one that seemed perfect with no negatives was the top rated B&B (O Canada House) and unfortunately, they don't have 2 rooms left for the night we want in September. :-( We're travelling with another couple so we needed 2. Oh well.

Last trip we stayed at Marriott Pinnacle, which was fine, but we wanted to try somewhere else this time.

So far, we've put the hotels below on a short list, but really, i'm not too too excited about any of these, since all seem to have their positives or negatives. I didn't include the Pan Pacific because the reviews on tripadvisor seemed to indicate that it was overpriced for what you get, the same with 4 Seasons. They both seem to need some updating, just like the 2 Fairmonts. I stayed at the downtown Fairmont a couple years ago and paid a FORTUNE for a suite, and felt it was really not worth it. If any of you have stayed in these places, or others that you'd like to recommend, please advise. Thank you!

The short list:

Le Soleil Hotel & Suites

Sunset Inn & Suites

Georgian Court Hotel

Wedgewood

Metropolitan

Also, we are not looking for anything "budget" or cheap. We appreciate good value though, so we don't want to stay at a place just because it's rated 4 or 5 stars, when that may be based how things were years ago, and now that rating may be out of date. Hope I'm making sense here.

Thanks so much! FYI - If anyone is looking for a recommendation themselves, I could recommend Marriott Pinnacle, just try to get a higher floor with a view. And can also recommend the Gotham Steakhouse where we had a fabulous 5 star meal, and had a star(s) spotting - Nickelback (the whole band) was eating a couple tables away from our booth. Service, food, and wine list were outstanding. Of course, we'll want to try a new restaurant this time, so if anyone can recommend some exceptional restaurants, i'd love that too!

FYI - we're taking the "weekend cruise" from Seattle to Vancouver, and staying an extra day/night in Vancouver before taking the train back to Seattle. Highly recommend the train, gorgeous scenery along the way, and the price was not bad either. Lining up in the queue for customs wasn't fun, but what can you do about that?

Here are my hotel suggestions:

Pan pacific is my favorite of our Vancouver hotels + you are right on the dock your ship is only a short elevator ride away. However this is a very expensive hotel. It does have several very good restaurants plus you are only steps to Gas Town.

Accross the street is the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel which is another very good hotel although I have never stayed in this one.

The Westin BAyshore is another very good hotel which is located right at the entrance to Stanley Park and on the shore of Coal Harbor.

The Rennasiance Hotel which is accross the street from the Pinnacle Marriot Hotel is an older cheaper hotel but still very nice.

The Hyatt has undergone a renovation and is another good hotel located on the corner of Burrard & Georgia in the heart of downtown Vancouver.

All of the rooms in this hotel are very spacious.

I have stayed in all of the above hotels even thou I am a local.

Hope this helps you.

I was just going to add that I have stayed at Pan Pacific several times and think it is a very nice hotel and since it is located right next to the cruise ship terminal have enjoyed its convenience when we embark the cruise ship.

I am not familiar with the other hotels on your list.

Either way, enjoy your cruise. We think very highly of Vancouver so it's a wonderful place to spend some time before or after your cruise.

Keith

Although I am a "local", we stayed at the Pan Pacific in April. Sure, the bathrooms were small but ..the view is amazing (try to get a view of the Lions Gate Bridge), the service is wonderful and the Sunday brunch is not to be missed (but mighty pricey). We had a great stay at the hotel and plan to stay there again soon.

We stayed at the Wedgewood last year for 3 nights in September before our cruise, which left from Vancouver and went through the Panama Canal, up the Amazon to Manaus and finally finished in Tampa, Florida after 34 days.

We loved the size of the hotel, our room, the staff etc. It is a lovely boutique hotel in a great position close to the shops, restaurants etc. We were given a front room with a view (I had requested this) and it was furnished beautifully. We had a bed and breakfast package and I can remember that the breakfast was delicious.

We are returning next year to Vancouver when we do Alaska on the Tahitian Princess and we are once again going to stay at this lovely hotel.

Jennie

"FYI - we're taking the "weekend cruise" from Seattle to Vancouver"

Which ship are you on - I'm on the Pearl - we will probably have a small meet and greet as there are three other couples who have cruise together on this trip.

Cheers

Dennis

Has anyone stayed at the Ramada Limited, at 7188 Westminister, near airport,arriving late the night before a cruise and just need a clean place, any comments on this thanks

I usually get my advice on hotels from tripadvisor but with Vancouver B.C. i'm getting so confused! There just seems to be so many, many, many places to stay, and all have positive and negative reviews. The only one that seemed perfect with no negatives was the top rated B&B (O Canada House) and unfortunately, they don't have 2 rooms left for the night we want in September. :-( We're travelling with another couple so we needed 2. Oh well.

We are cruising from Vancouver in September - and found the same thing on TripAdvisor as you - lots and lots to choose from - and such a variety of comments - too confusing ! - I went back to these Boards for help - and found (can't find it again now) a couple of posts highly recommending the Terminal City Tower Hotel - right across the street from the Hotel - "bellman takes your luggage to the ship for you" - and wonderful "Pub" on the first floor - our flight arrives in the evening - so the idea of not searching for a nice place to eat dinner when we first arrives was appealing

http://www.tctowerhotel.com/tradition/tradition.html

I will post a review when we return....

• 9 months later...

When I went to Europe last year, I have visited many places in Europe. I would like to suggest you to consider Vancouver this time. I have enjoyed there, it offers a good variety of cuisine. I loved Portugal cuisine and advice you to plan a trip there and enjoy with your family. You can check out www.sletoh.com for more details of hotel accommodation and their rates of all Hotels/Resorts of Portugal.

I hope my information will help you. Enjoy!!

Archived