Pacific Star cruise aborted in Vila

Hi.

Have just had an email from my friend that lives in Vila saying that all passengers on the Star will be flown home over the next few days. She actually has her sister travelling aboard the ship and they were originally told that 30 people were flying home rather than contining the trip. The ship didn't leave Vila as expected and now they have been told that their fare will be fully refunded and 25% off there next cruise (if they sail again). They will stay aboard untill their flights. I guess that it will take awhile as Air Vanuatu and Air NZ only fly 737's into Vila (anyone know anything different)

I actually also have a staff member aboard as well so hopefully can keep you all updated

cheers

Den

Thanks for the update, what a shame!

The weather pattern has been so unpredictable everywhere!

Virgins Pacific blue also fly to and from Vila.

Hopefully they wont be put off and come back and rebook!!

Chez

xx

Wow, that's big news.

I found this on the net:

Storm ends Pacific Star cruise

15/07/2007 17:58:32

P&O has cancelled the rest of the Pacific Star's South Pacific cruise because the ship has been damaged by extreme weather. She needs to sail for Brisbane for repairs that can not be carried out in Port Vila, where the vessel is at the moment .

The liner was caught in last Tuesday's storm as she left Auckland, encountering gale force winds and 10-metre seas.

CEO Ann Sherry says the 1,200 passengers will be given full refunds, because the company recognises they have been very patient under difficult circumstances.

Some of the windows and external doors were damaged, along with the vessel's satellite equipment. The Pacific Star returns to Auckland on Wednesday.

and this posted a bit earlier.......

1000 NZers suffer on Pacific Star

12/07/2007 15:52:02

It has been a holiday from hell for many kiwis sailing around the Pacific.

The Pacific Star encountered horrendous conditions after leaving from Auckland on Tuesday afternoon, with close to 1,000 New Zealanders onboard. P&O cruises spokeswoman Sandy Olsen says the conditions have been so bad they have had to cancel tomorrow's stop-over in Lifou and head straight for Vila.

There are reports from people onboard of passengers being sick everywhere and extensive damage to the boat. Strong winds of up to 65 knots-an-hour and seas of up to 10-metres have been battering the boat. Despite the storms and hurricanes, Sandy Olsen says she is keen to see the people onboard get the trip they paid for. Each cabin will get $100 to spend how they wish and they will waive doctor's charges.

The boat is expected back in Auckland mid next week.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens over the next couple of days, that article's a bit conflicting as there's no way the ship could be in Vila today, head for Brisbane for repairs and then return to Auckland by Wednesday.

Hi All

have just checked the wording of the original email i recieved that states everyone is stay aboard the ship till they are flown out tomorrow(Monday) and Wednesday. I know that there are only a few flights a week to NZ and my friend works in travel and tours so knows the airport schedual. Also just how many empty seats on those planes due out are there?? Might have been cheaper for P & O to charter several flight especually for their passengers. (maybe they have)I have sent an email to see what else i can find out.

If they has cancelled the last trip out of Auckland that leaves time for the ship to get to Brisbane for repairs b4 it heads out again.

Den

Crikey 10M seas, no wonder ship was damaged. Will take a while to get those people back to NZ or OZ, no Boeing 767's or 747 type aircraft would fly from Vila, 737's or A320 Airbus no doubt, only hold 150 max, lot of planes.

Still Carnival have done the right thing..full refunds, I applaud you Carnival. :)

Cheers.

We honeymooned in Vila last October and at that time there was only 1 flight out (to Brisbane) a day. Hopefully they can get everyone home without too many issues. Mind you, i'd be happy to be 'stranded' in Vila! You still get all your ship issue meals & accomodation but you get to go shopping in town every day too :) I really do feel sorry for the poor cruisers on board though :( I wouldn't wish a ruined holiday on anyone :( Hopefully this doesn't turn up on TT or ACA as yet another P&O bad news story.

Actually, while i'm here, does anyone know why the Sun is still in port in Sydney? I noticed she was hours late arriving today and was supposed to be gone again by 4pm.

Hi MsMinx,

I think she is leaving now....

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

If they has cancelled the last trip out of Auckland that leaves time for the ship to get to Brisbane for repairs b4 it heads out again.

Den

Except there's two more departures scheduled from Auckland before that final cruise. I hope for all the NZ passengers sake that P&O don't cancel all three cruises between now and the new Brisbane season.

Oh no.... I'm on the Star (or supposed to be) this coming Wednesday?!?

I'm sorry to tell you but if the news reports are correct you won't be cruising this Wednesday. Time to think of an alternative plan! I can sympathise with you as we had a cruise cancelled with less than a week's notice and it really sucks. Fortunately P&O paid us back very quickly and we managed to reschedule for a land holiday during the cruise time. Wasn't as good but at least we still had a holiday.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Oh no.... I'm on the Star (or supposed to be) this coming Wednesday?!?

Your not the only one, our family is also going on the Pacific Star on Wednesday.

I'm sorry to tell you but if the news reports are correct you won't be cruising this Wednesday. Time to think of an alternative plan!

How do you know that??!!, to what I have read (See: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4128776a11.html (the latest story I have read on this), all P & O have done is cancelled the cruise that was meant to be happing at the moment.

And to that news report Pacific Star is scheduled to return to Auckland on Wednesday :) (And also to the Ports of Auckland website the Pacific Star is still listed as to be coming in on Wednesday)

PS: tinibell > if I was you I would give you travel agent a ring tomorrow & check & see if everything is still happing.

How do you know that??!!, to what I have read (See: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4128776a11.html (the latest story I have read on this), all P & O have done is cancelled the cruise that was meant to be happing at the moment.

And to that news report Pacific Star is scheduled to return to Auckland on Wednesday (And also to the Ports of Auckland website the Pacific Star is still listed to be coming in on Wednesday)

That article also says this:

The Pacific Star will sail to Brisbane without passengers onboard and be put into dry dock for further inspection and repairs.

As Kym said. there is no way that it could make it from Port Villa to Brisbane and then back to Aukland in 2 days. And thats not including repair times etc once in dry dock.

My advice, contact your TA and get the final word about what is going on. Most likely you will be refunded and get 25% off another cruise. Or they will rebook you on another one.

And to that news report Pacific Star is scheduled to return to Auckland on Wednesday :) (And also to the Ports of Auckland website the Pacific Star is still listed to be coming in on Wednesday)

Hi David,

I'm sorry but I can't see how the Star can be back in Auckland by Wednesday. The report says "The ship is now in Port Vila, Vanuatu, and was scheduled to return to Auckland on Wednesday." Note it says was scheduled not is scheduled. Besides if the cancellation happened today it is highly likely that the Ports of Auckland website has not been updated.

When our cruise was cancelled we knew at least two days in the media before P&O informed us. Also we booked through a travel agent so P&O wouldn't talk directly to us and they were not talking to our travel agent either.

I am not sure but I would think that the cruising time to Brisbane and then to Auckland is longer than three days let alone to leave time for inspection and repairs in Brisbane. Can anyone confirm this?:confused:

PS: tinibell > if I was you I would give you travel agent a ring tomorrow & check & see if everything is still happing.

I too advise tinibell & yourself to contact your travel agents for more information tomorrow.

Cheers,

I am not sure but I would think that the cruising time to Brisbane and then to Auckland is longer than three days let alone to leave time for inspection and repairs in Brisbane. Can anyone confirm this?:confused:

By my calculations, its the best part of 2 days to reach Port Villa from Brisbane and then i think another 2 days sailing at least, to reach Aukland.

Where did Kym say that? :confused:

Post # 4.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens over the next couple of days, that article's a bit conflicting as there's no way the ship could be in Vila today, head for Brisbane for repairs and then return to Auckland by Wednesday.

Cheers,

Not by much, they were posted at the same time :rolleyes:

but you are younger than me and therefore more technologically advanced!!:p

OK bed time for me, long day tomorrow. But I will try to check in tomorrow night for an update. Hopefully our Kiwi friends will have received some more information.

Best wishes to everyone booked on the forth coming cruises, including my Aunt Frog & Nan booked on the first cruise out of Brisbane. And yes they were also booked on the cruise I had cancelled so they know what it feels like. If I know my Nan at all she is probably already talking about booking a place down the Coast for the week!

Cheers,

Archived