WARNING: Affinia Dumont in NYC

cot427

The hotel was very nice. The doorman were very nice. Our room was fantastic. It had two queens, a kitchen (in Manhattan), a nice big bathroom, and it was an okay location.

I would infact stay at another Affinia. Next year I was planning to stay at the Affinia 50. I might stay at the Affinia Dumont again, but i will have to think.

I just didn't want people to expierience rude people. And accually, the rude people, was a person. The front desk lady was the rude one. And beleive it or not, she might have ruined that hotel for me. If the hotel doe something with her, then it would be good to stay at.

PLEEEEZE. Obviously, you have never booked with Priceline or any of the other heavy discounters. Hotels that tie in with Priceline, etc. have 'Priceline" rooms-not the nicest (usually one of the WORST room in the hotel), close to elevators or next to the coffee shop. Generally NO points from any hotel loyalty card. Crappy service-the hotels figure you got the room at a bargain rate, so they certainly don't go overboard for you.

Let's see the problems:

Booked a room that VERY PLAINLY states on Hotels.com website is for single or double occupancy. You put 4 in the room Hotel supposedly overcharged you. Again, on the Hotels.com website, CLEARLY stated there will be an additional charge for over TWO people. You have NO proof that anyone VERIFIED that 4 people could sleep in the room at the rate for 2.

Spilled water all over the bathroom, needed extra towels (must have been A LOT of water to use up four towels.)

Didn't get a receipt or misplaced it or something-has no proof of what the charge was, was supposed to be or what was billed. Did you ever think that those charges could have been Manhattan hotel taxes, Occupancy tax or mini-bar/movies, etc. etc.

Couldn't remember the combination to the safe/had to get maintenance to open it.

Two queen beds DOES NOT equal four people in most of Manhattan (Embassy Suites being one exception I know of).

All this happened in ONE night.

You got an $80.00 voucher. IF you get the $56.50 refunded, you should turn in the voucher. One or the other-I don't feel you are entitled to both.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it too. And you badmouthed a hotel- WARNING!!! when a lot of the problems were your own making.

Sorry, but I just can't feel sorry for you.

Frankly a little harsh and not sure why you felt you had to add the word WARNING.

If I pay good money for a hotel and the staff are rude regardless of the issue I certainly don't come away praising them, maybe it's something that does not bother you. ?

I run my own company and never allow my staff to treat customers rudely.It's terrible for business as one unhappy customer spreads the word far quicker than 99 happy ones.

Frankly a little harsh and not sure why you felt you had to add the word WARNING.

If I pay good money for a hotel and the staff are rude regardless of the issue I certainly don't come away praising them, maybe it's something that does not bother you. ?

I run my own company and never allow my staff to treat customers rudely.It's terrible for business as one unhappy customer spreads the word far quicker than 99 happy ones.

Please check title of thread-WARNING

The OP liked almost everything about this hotel EXCEPT the lady "collecting the money" (isn't that who always gets dumped on). And posted WARNING before trying to resolve the problem. Rude is in the eye of the beholder.

As BlueHerons posted "anyone who sees this thread and doesn't read it will avoid the Affinia Dumont. Maybe the editors will edit your heading."

PS:My company has an office in NYC. I am plenty familiar with RUDE.

Please check title of thread-WARNING

The OP liked almost everything about this hotel EXCEPT the lady "collecting the money" (isn't that who always gets dumped on). And posted WARNING before trying to resolve the problem. Rude is in the eye of the beholder.

As BlueHerons posted "anyone who sees this thread and doesn't read it will avoid the Affinia Dumont. Maybe the editors will edit your heading."

PS:My company has an office in NYC. I am plenty familiar with RUDE.

Apologies regarding the warning word my mistake. However if the poster is correct and was screamed at and then hung up on by a member of staff that's hardly "in the eye of the beholder". That's my only point not the fact that it could have been delt with better on both sides.

Apologies regarding the warning word my mistake. However if the poster is correct and was screamed at and then hung up on by a member of staff that's hardly "in the eye of the beholder". That's my only point not the fact that it could have been delt with better on both sides.

I reread the posts-saw nothing about screaming nor being hung up on. Maid acted like she was doing them a favor-she was. Maintenance man was grumpy-aren't they all.

After reading some of the OP's other posts (especially on the cruise air forum), I would say that this person is either very young (16-27) or has limited travel experience.

"Rude" should not be experienced in hotel settings, I agree. Again, RUDE is in the eye of the beholder.

Finally, the initial post ended with this:

"DO NOT STAY AT THE AFFINIA DUMONT".

All over an overcharge that the OP had neither confirmation nor receipts for. Glad it got straightened out, but IMHO, the complaints should have been addressed BEFORE posting WARNING

'Nuff said.

I reread the posts-saw nothing about screaming nor being hung up on. Maid acted like she was doing them a favor-she was. Maintenance man was grumpy-aren't they all.

After reading some of the OP's other posts (especially on the cruise air forum), I would say that this person is either very young (16-27) or has limited travel experience.

"Rude" should not be experienced in hotel settings, I agree. Again, RUDE is in the eye of the beholder.

Finally, the initial post ended with this:

"DO NOT STAY AT THE AFFINIA DUMONT".

All over an overcharge that the OP had neither confirmation nor receipts for. Glad it got straightened out, but IMHO, the complaints should have been addressed BEFORE posting WARNING

'Nuff said.

Initial posting on the third paragraph.

I really don't care what hotel it is. Customer service means everything. I don't really care if the hotel is 5 stars, great room with kithen and state of the art bathroom, great views, great location and 1,000 dollars a night, or as low as 100 dolllars a night. If you want to attract people to your business or hotel, your will treat customers with respect, by not screaming at them. I know, that no matter how much I like something whether it be a hotel or a restaurant, if the customer service is bad, i will not return. I look for great customer service in anything from a hotel to a store or restaurant.

So, maybe I went overboard with the "WARNING", and I apoligize to the hotel and any other person I affended. I would just wish the front desk improves their customer service, that's all. If that so much to ask??

I really don't care what hotel it is. Customer service means everything. I don't really care if the hotel is 5 stars, great room with kithen and state of the art bathroom, great views, great location and 1,000 dollars a night, or as low as 100 dolllars a night. If you want to attract people to your business or hotel, your will treat customers with respect, by not screaming at them. I know, that no matter how much I like something whether it be a hotel or a restaurant, if the customer service is bad, i will not return. I look for great customer service in anything from a hotel to a store or restaurant.

So, maybe I went overboard with the "WARNING", and I apoligize to the hotel and any other person I affended. I would just wish the front desk improves their customer service, that's all. If that so much to ask??[/quote]

No

The front desk in a hotel is the first and last point of contact for most people but sadly many hotels don't seem to realise this and get it wrong. Take a look on Trip Advisor and one of the biggest complaints are rude, surely front of desk staff.

I would be the first to say that there are some people you just can't please and yes they can be irritating(not having a go at you because I don't know you)

However if the person can't deal with that get another job away from the front line.

[quote name=yorky;10919608

No

The front desk in a hotel is the first and last point of contact for most people but sadly many hotels don't seem to realise this and get it wrong. Take a look on Trip Advisor and one of the biggest complaints are rude' date=' surely front of desk staff.

I would be the first to say that there are some people you just can't please and yes they can be irritating(not having a go at you because I don't know you)

However if the person can't deal with that get another job away from the front line.[/quote]

I also agree here. Customer service is worth 90% of a hotel stay, in my opinion. It can really make or break a vacation. How much you pay for a room shouldn't make a difference in how you are treated. I'm just really glad that things worked out in the end, but to be honest - a rude person working at the hotel still could really leave a bad taste for someone. I hope Cot427 gave the name of the girl to the manager. Managers don't usually take those things lightly.

Well, that is why you weren't given a better room on a higher floor - you got the room at a very inexpensive rate. They offer the better rooms to people who have paid a higher rate .

Does the saying "You get what you paid for" ring any bells;) ? I'm not being sarcastic but that is why I wouldn't use a wholesaler if I wanted something more than a place to rest my head. Personally I'm very particular in choosing my hotels. I want a high floor, the best view, king bed, etc. so I am willing to go through the hotel directly to get what I want. The wholesaler's don't give a rat's *** after you've paid them.

I would just consider this a lesson and move on. Life is too short to get too upset about something beyond your control. Yes, it sucks the front desk people were rude to you, there's absolutely NO excuse for that no matter how the room was booked!

Happy Sails!

Romy

Archived