WARNING: Affinia Dumont in NYC

cot427

I have to warn you, do not stay here. If you want to avoid rude people then don't stay here. The room was fine, actually it was very nice. beautifull bedding, nice kitchen, nice location, but very rude people. When we needed more towels, the maid acted like she was doing us a favor. When we forgot the code to the safe, the maintinece man was very rude. The checkin was good, but we wanted a higher view, but the front desk people wouldn't offer us one. I walked down moments later, and they were offering some other lady a nicer view (same room kind, i overheard).

Here comes the worst part. I booked through hotels.com, but they were very nice. I called them about 2 weeks before we went. They assured me that there would be no extra charge, I even circled it on the booking paper, i have it right here. So we went to pay (did not prepay on hotels.com, next time i will) and the same lady that checked us in, was rude. She argued that it was for 2 and we had 4. The room had 2 queen beds, enough for 4. So we called hotels.com and they figured it out for then. I paid, and the lady didn't even want to give me a receipt, but I demanded it.

I just received my credit card bill yesterday, and Affinia Dumont charged me 56.50 extra. I called hotels.com first, and they were very nice, saying that since we did not prepay, the pricing was up to the hotel. So I called the hotel, and the front desk lady screamed at me and hung up on me.

I called hotels.com today and said what she did, and he told me that she did that to him yesterday too. (He called because he wanted to see what was going on.) So he offered me an $80 voucher to book anywhere I want, as long as it is through them. He was very nice.

Now, I am awaiting a call from the general manager from the hotel (he was suppose to call today around 4:00, never did). So I hope he calls tomorrow, but if not, somebody will here from me there, and it will not be pretty.

Just wanted to let my fellow cruisers know, DO NOT STAY AT THE AFFINIA DUMONT.

I am so sorry you had to deal with such rude people. I have friends who have stayed at the Affinia Dumont on a few occasions and have never had a problem. As a matter of fact, just the opposite where they said they couldn't believe how nice the people were there. The general manager should call you immediately if he wants to save the reputation of the hotel. I hope you got the name of the girl at check in.

I go to the restaurant there and find the people to be exceptional that work there. I use the outdoor seating so I can bring my dog. I also know people who use their spa services weekly and are very fond of them. I really hope your case was just a fluke. I also hope the general manager offers you something (like some sort of credit) for good will. Please keep us posted.

It is my guess that most of the "rudeness" happened due to putting 4 people in a 2 person room. The extra towels-rooms are set up for 2. The higher floor-again, the hotel staff did not want to "skew" the hotel staff dealing with 4 people in a two person room. The maids' carts are set up to maintain the rooms for two people. There were probably other "non standard" bookings on your floor and the hotel was trying to keep them altogether. The maintenance man??? I have NEVER seen a nice one except in Asia.

Please read the fine print when you book airline tickets, hotel rooms, cruises. It is VERY plain on Hotels.com website that the Affinia Dumont prices are based on single or double occupancy.

And since this was NOT a Hotels.com prepaid room, I am surprised Hotels.com even went to bat for you. Not their normal policy. As for the "guarantee" that four people could be booked in a Hotels.com non prepaid room for the same price-erroneous information. Since you had it in writing, I would guess that is why you got the $80.00 voucher. But that means you have to use Hotels.com to book. Not the best booking option by a long shot.

In your case, Hotels.com was merely acting as a "reservation" agent and charging you $5.00 for the privilege. Direct booking from the hotel website would have saved you at least the $5.00 booking fee. And Hotels. com has VERY little information on their non prepaid hotels. They merely act as a booking agent.

You are one of the FEW people that has had this experience. The Affinia Dumont rates very highly in mid priced hotels in NYC. Again, I think a lot of it was due to putting 4 people in a 2 person room. Most hotels in NYC charge extra for more than 2 people in a room.

Direct quote from website.

# Rates displayed are single or double occupancy per night based upon number of adults.

# Additional adults or children occupying the room will incur extra charges at check-in.

Reading what greatam wrote, I wonder if the problem really was with Hotels.com and not the Affinia Dumont. I still hope the general manager calls you back just from a customer service standpoint. No matter who is at fault (if any), there is still no excuse for any hotel staff member to be rude to a guest.

It is my guess that most of the "rudeness" happened due to putting 4 people in a 2 person room. The extra towels-rooms are set up for 2. The higher floor-again, the hotel staff did not want to "skew" the hotel staff dealing with 4 people in a two person room. The maids' carts are set up to maintain the rooms for two people. There were probably other "non standard" bookings on your floor and the hotel was trying to keep them altogether. The maintenance man??? I have NEVER seen a nice one except in Asia.

Please read the fine print when you book airline tickets, hotel rooms, cruises. It is VERY plain on Hotels.com website that the Affinia Dumont prices are based on single or double occupancy.

And since this was NOT a Hotels.com prepaid room, I am surprised Hotels.com even went to bat for you. Not their normal policy. As for the "guarantee" that four people could be booked in a Hotels.com non prepaid room for the same price-erroneous information. Since you had it in writing, I would guess that is why you got the $80.00 voucher. But that means you have to use Hotels.com to book. Not the best booking option by a long shot.

In your case, Hotels.com was merely acting as a "reservation" agent and charging you $5.00 for the privilege. Direct booking from the hotel website would have saved you at least the $5.00 booking fee. And Hotels. com has VERY little information on their non prepaid hotels. They merely act as a booking agent.

You are one of the FEW people that has had this experience. The Affinia Dumont rates very highly in mid priced hotels in NYC. Again, I think a lot of it was due to putting 4 people in a 2 person room. Most hotels in NYC charge extra for more than 2 people in a room.

Direct quote from website.

# Rates displayed are single or double occupancy per night based upon number of adults.

# Additional adults or children occupying the room will incur extra charges at check-in.

But what you don't understand is that I called the hotel and hotels.com before I went to the hotel, and they said that there would be no extra charge. The room is accually for 4 people, because the beds were queens, not doubles. About the towels, there were 4 towels in the room, (4 sets), but we used them because someone spilled water in the bathroom. So its not about the towels.

So i new before even going that there would be no extra charges. i loved the hotel itself, just not the people working in it.

As of 2:30 today, the GM has not called me. I called yesterday around 12:00. This lady said that he would call by 4:00 yesterday because he leaves she said at 5:00, but no call. So i figured he'd call today, but not yet. He has 1:30 hrs. to call me.

So I will keep everybody posted.

But what you don't understand is that I called the hotel and hotels.com before I went to the hotel, and they said that there would be no extra charge. The room is accually for 4 people, because the beds were queens, not doubles. About the towels, there were 4 towels in the room, (4 sets), but we used them because someone spilled water in the bathroom. So its not about the towels.

So i new before even going that there would be no extra charges. i loved the hotel itself, just not the people working in it.

As of 2:30 today, the GM has not called me. I called yesterday around 12:00. This lady said that he would call by 4:00 yesterday because he leaves she said at 5:00, but no call. So i figured he'd call today, but not yet. He has 1:30 hrs. to call me.

So I will keep everybody posted.

If you called the hotel and they verified that there would be no extra charges for 4 people in ONE STUDIO SUITE, did you get the person's name???? That is absolutely imperative-otherwise, you could be speaking to a newly hired receptionist.

Hotels.com, like most very large travel agencies, often gives out erroneous information, ESPECIALLY since the Affinia Dumont is NOT one of their prepaid hotels.

I really find it hard to believe that the room is set up for 4 people (unless you booked the 1 bedroom suite), not only due to the fact that it is prominently posted on the Hotels.com website that the rooms are for single or double occupancy, but on the hotel's own website, the studio suite "can accommodate up to two people".

Quite a few hotels in Manhattan have two queens, but they are designed for TWO people, traveling together. I often stay at the Crowne Plaza by LaGuardia and am usually given a room with two queens, even though I am traveling solo.

I have personally not stayed at the Affinia Dumont, but have been in the hotel three or four times for meetings and lunch. I have booked my employees in there and they have raved about it. And believe me, my sales people are hard to please.

Hope the hotel manager calls you.

As I posted on another thread, hotel rooms for four people in Manhattan in most hotels are considered premium rooms not standard rooms, hence the higher price.

I have been staying with the Affinia.com hotels since they were the Manhattan East Suite Hotels back in the early 1990s and have never had a problem with any of their staff.

I can't imagine a studio would have two queen beds. Two doubles maybe or a queen and a sofa bed but two queen beds in rooms definitely isn't industry standard.

As I posted on another thread, hotel rooms for four people in Manhattan in most hotels are considered premium rooms not standard rooms, hence the higher price.

I have been staying with the Affinia.com hotels since they were the Manhattan East Suite Hotels back in the early 1990s and have never had a problem with any of their staff.

I can't imagine a studio would have two queen beds. Two doubles maybe or a queen and a sofa bed but two queen beds in rooms definitely isn't industry standard.

I don't know why you guys doubt me. I know they were queens, i stayed there, and plus, I called beforehand.

STUDIO 2 QUEENS-HI SPEED-AVEDA BATH-LUXURY BED- - PILLOW MENU-KITCHEN-400-600 SQ FT AFFINIA BEST AVAILABLE RATE

That was on the website, 2 queens. So it was for 4 people. I am giving the GM a call now. After my stay I was even planning to stay at one of the 4 affinias next year, but their customer service just shot that.

I don't know why you guys doubt me. I know they were queens, i stayed there, and plus, I called beforehand.

STUDIO 2 QUEENS-HI SPEED-AVEDA BATH-LUXURY BED- - PILLOW MENU-KITCHEN-400-600 SQ FT AFFINIA BEST AVAILABLE RATE

That was on the website, 2 queens. So it was for 4 people. I am giving the GM a call now. After my stay I was even planning to stay at one of the 4 affinias next year, but their customer service just shot that.

What's on Hotels.com website IS two queens(I will grant you the pictures look like queens). BUT at the bottom of the page-"single or double occupancy", NOT 4.

And on the hotels website under floor plans, it SPECIFICALLY states "TWO PEOPLE", in STUDIO SUITE, which is what you booked. It also states that bedding varies by hotel.

http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Dumont&page=Floor-Plans

2 queens does not mean 4 people. Many hotels have 2 queens..you always have to c heck the occupancy..just because you think 4 people can sleep in two queens doesn't mean the hotel occupancy rules for that room allows it. This is standardin the industry.. I've heard this happen many times with the company you went through. Anything other than double occupancy can lead to problems upon check in.

What's on Hotels.com website IS two queens(I will grant you the pictures look like queens). BUT at the bottom of the page-"single or double occupancy", NOT 4.

And on the hotels website under floor plans, it SPECIFICALLY states "TWO PEOPLE", in STUDIO SUITE, which is what you booked. It also states that bedding varies by hotel.

http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Dumont&page=Floor-Plans

I actually used your link and though it says 2 people for a studio suite, when I did a reservation for 3 adults, I was able to get a studio suite. We go to NYC a couple times a year so I figured I would look. Looks like a nice hotel but I will stay with the ones I can get for free with points.

UPDATE: I taked to the front desk director. She said that this was for 4 people, the rooms regularly hold 4 people comfortably, so there should be no extra charge. She is looking into it, and I will speak with her tomorrow morning. So as it turns out, it is for 4 people, just like I was tellling you from the beginning posts, but nobody listened.

i will update you tomorrow.

Here comes the worst part. I booked through hotels.com, but they were very nice.

Well, that is why you weren't given a better room on a higher floor - you got the room at a very inexpensive rate. They offer the better rooms to people who have paid a higher rate .

That should make no difference. I am paying to stay at the hotel just like everybody else. It would be the same if somebody won a contest and is staying there for free, they should treat the people the same. You pay $450 a night or you pay $150 a night, each is paying, and each should be treated the same, its a hotel.

I don't see why everybody is saying I'm the bad guy. The hotel was the one who overcharged me. They were rude to me, I wasn't rude to them. The room was for 4 people, two queens.

The hotel is a nice hotel, nice rooms with kitchens, but the staff was rude. the Managers were nice, but the staff. The lady who I paid was probably the one who overcharged me anyway.

What makes no sense to me is that everytime I check into a hotel, they confirm my rate and tell me how much it will be including taxes. When I checkout, I get a receipt that shows what was charged to my credit card. Many times we do express checkout but we receive our receipt under our door during the last night of our stay. Did you receive a detailed receipt? Did they verify your rate when you checked in? Just curious.

What makes no sense to me is that everytime I check into a hotel, they confirm my rate and tell me how much it will be including taxes. When I checkout, I get a receipt that shows what was charged to my credit card. Many times we do express checkout but we receive our receipt under our door during the last night of our stay. Did you receive a detailed receipt? Did they verify your rate when you checked in? Just curious.

When I checked in on the first day, I got this little slip of paper, but somehow, it got thrown in the trash in the room. It said my rate, which was correct. Then when I went to pay, they overcharged me again, but finally ended up paying the correct price (for then). i was offered no receipt. i asked, and she said that she would send it up, but during the morning, I had an early flight, and forgot all about the receipt situation.

So what I think is that the lady who checked my in and who i paid (same lady who handled everything at the hotel for me) overcharged me. i think it is her fault. We will find out tomorrow.

I used to do credit card disputes for hotels and the problem from a dispute point of view is now that you checked out you have no receipt or anything to verify they agreed they would not charge extra for the 2 additional people in the room.

On the hotel's side, the wording clearly says it is based on single or double occupancy.

You need to try and get it in writing from hotels.com about the no additional charge or something to back it up other than verbal. If you dispute the amount and the hotel replies, you havent got anything to stand on or send in. Everyone says this or that is what they were told, but what is in writing is what the person doing the dispute will have to go on.

sorry you are upset. Hotel.com isnt my favorite site to book through either, but that $80.00 voucher would come in handy, you already got more back in future credit than the overcharge.

PS I do hope the manager or someone apologizes even if they wouldnt issue you the credit you want.

....I was sitting here thinking. Do you have a receipt from your booking with hotels.com that shows the price with 4 people in the room? You could use that. Its better than nothing if you have that in writing at least.

That should make no difference. I am paying to stay at the hotel just like everybody else. It would be the same if somebody won a contest and is staying there for free, they should treat the people the same. You pay $450 a night or you pay $150 a night, each is paying, and each should be treated the same, its a hotel.

PLEEEEZE. Obviously, you have never booked with Priceline or any of the other heavy discounters. Hotels that tie in with Priceline, etc. have 'Priceline" rooms-not the nicest (usually one of the WORST room in the hotel), close to elevators or next to the coffee shop. Generally NO points from any hotel loyalty card. Crappy service-the hotels figure you got the room at a bargain rate, so they certainly don't go overboard for you.

I don't see why everybody is saying I'm the bad guy. The hotel was the one who overcharged me. They were rude to me, I wasn't rude to them. The room was for 4 people, two queens.

The hotel is a nice hotel, nice rooms with kitchens, but the staff was rude. the Managers were nice, but the staff. The lady who I paid was probably the one who overcharged me anyway.

Let's see the problems:

Booked a room that VERY PLAINLY states on Hotels.com website is for single or double occupancy. You put 4 in the room Hotel supposedly overcharged you. Again, on the Hotels.com website, CLEARLY stated there will be an additional charge for over TWO people. You have NO proof that anyone VERIFIED that 4 people could sleep in the room at the rate for 2.

Spilled water all over the bathroom, needed extra towels (must have been A LOT of water to use up four towels.)

Didn't get a receipt or misplaced it or something-has no proof of what the charge was, was supposed to be or what was billed. Did you ever think that those charges could have been Manhattan hotel taxes, Occupancy tax or mini-bar/movies, etc. etc.

Couldn't remember the combination to the safe/had to get maintenance to open it.

Two queen beds DOES NOT equal four people in most of Manhattan (Embassy Suites being one exception I know of).

All this happened in ONE night.

You got an $80.00 voucher. IF you get the $56.50 refunded, you should turn in the voucher. One or the other-I don't feel you are entitled to both.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it too. And you badmouthed a hotel- WARNING!!! when a lot of the problems were your own making.

Sorry, but I just can't feel sorry for you.

I stayed there last week for work and it was fabulous!! Sorry you had a hard time, but it was probably due to putting four people in a room. I would highly recommend them and would stay there again...and I'm picky!! Everyone I dealt with was wonderful and polite...check TripAdvisor, they didn't get to be in the top % of hotels in NY by being rude.

It sounds like the person at Hotels.com verbally gave you incorrect information. This is the reason I always book my hotels directly. I have never had a problem that way. As for asking for extra towels, who cares? It's not like you were asking them to clean up your mess, you were asking for towels to do it yourself. Don't tell me that no one else has NEVER had an issue with a room safe that was their fault? I know I have.

The real issue here is that cot47 feels like she got one upped and my guess is that it was by hotels.com.

The Affinia Dumont really is a great hotel. I have never heard another bad thing about them, only great things.

Okay, I got it figured it out. Here's how it worked out.

Room rate 162 x 2 nights = 324

then, plus 55 dollars worth of taxes. total for 2 nights = 379 about. (which is what I expected)

Then, on my credit card bill, the total was 434. So there was an extra 55 dollars worth of charges. So everybody figured it was since I had the extra 2 people in the room, but then the front desk director and I figured it out.

The lady at the front desk, who was not there today, I was told, charged me 2 times for the taxes. That was the extra charge I knew I was being charged.

The director of the front desk said she will take care of this mistake, and said she will talk to this lady too, because this lady was the one who was rude to me over the phone.

I'm glad I worked this out. I just don't like to be fooled around with about anything.

As for the voucher for $80 I am sending it back when it comes, or I will call hotels.com and tell them about the situation.

So thanks everybody for your advice and input.

Archived