Opinions please?

Frassy

My cousin and I were scheduled for a cruise, but she has just had to cancel due to some unforseen circumstances. I was so hyped about going--my 1st cruise and all....but..NOW since I am a little bit shy, I'm thinking of cancelling. Any single cruisers out there that would like to share your experiences? Have you sailed solo? What was it like being single on a cruise ship and not knowing anyone?

I can still get my $$ back as the cruise is in April 08--but do I really want to?

Thanks for any feedback!

:( :( :( :( :(

Just my opinion, but I would think if this is your first cruise it would be lots more fun to go with someone. After you become a cruise veteran (and trust me, you will), then maybe try venturing out solo.

If the cruise isn't until April 2008, isn't there any way you can find a replacement for your cousin?

I am no longer single however; one of the good things with traditional dining is that you sit with other people and believe it or not more than likely you'll make some good friends. It being your first cruise and all I think you will be so stoked about the experience and want to share it with someone ...what better place than dinner? You'll also be able to get some advice for future cruising...Just My opinion:either way I wish you luck and Happy Cruising!

Andy

Just be aware that if you cruise solo you pay an additional fee called a single supplement. Sometimes 150%...sometimes 200%.

Find out how much that is for the cruise you are booked on and if it will be a problem for you finanically.

I think you still have time to find another cabin mate to share your first cruise with. Start asking other friends, co-workers or family members if they would be interested in sharing a cabin with you. If you can't find anyone and are willing *to pay double for the cabin go by yourself. You will meet new life long friends. After all, you already share one thing in common - a love for cruising. And you will be hooked on cruising once you get your first cruise over with.

* Note: Cabin are priced on double occupancy so if you have the cabin to yourself you will have double the price. Even if you can't find a person to share a cabin with you should still go even if it means you will have to down-grade to a lowered-price cabin.

I would not go by myself--but that's just me. There a good article here about ways to take cruises without paying double when you're single.

Of course the suggestion to find another friend/relative to go with you is great.

The only problem for you will be having to pay nearly double for your cabin. It's called single supplement. Some lines have better SS, like only 150%, but most charge the full double fare.

As to whether you would like to cruise as a solo, well, I've done more than 20 cruises as a solo and I absolutely love it. I really like having my own cabin, not having to answer to anyone and meeting many new friends. If you can afford the SS, then go for it---you might become hooked.

As a first time cruiser, I would not suggest you go alone. Just my opinion. After you have cruised at least once or twice, then to decide to cruise solo would be great.

JMHO.....

Is it possible for you and your cousing to reschedule to another date that would work for you both? You are still so many months out from your sail date, you have lots of choices.

Let us know what you decide.

You folks are absolutely great--so many nice replies.

Cuz now wants to go in April 09 (a year from our original plan). After 2 months or so of planning, I really don't want to wait that long. I had forgotten that room rate would be more expensive.....so....I think it WILL try to find something else to go.

Thanks again to you all!!! ;)

Happy Cruising!!

I would not go by myself--but that's just me. There a good article here about ways to take cruises without paying double when you're single.

Of course the suggestion to find another friend/relative to go with you is great.

this is a very outdated article. Cruiselines did away with the single share cabins-- where they find you a cabin mate so you dont have to pay the single rate.

There is a single board here on Cruise Critic too. You might want to check that area.

here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

You don't say how old you are, whether you are male or female, or what line you're travelling on. All I can say is, I've always gone solo and had a great time. Nowadays, the other posts are right. You'll most likely have to pay quite a bit more than one adult fare to go solo. If you decide to go, I think you'll have a fantastic time

this is a very outdated article. Cruiselines did away with the single share cabins-- where they find you a cabin mate so you dont have to pay the single rate.

There is a single board here on Cruise Critic too. You might want to check that area.

here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Thanks for that info, Serene. I will have to check it out!!

You don't say how old you are, whether you are male or female, or what line you're travelling on. All I can say is, I've always gone solo and had a great time. Nowadays, the other posts are right. You'll most likely have to pay quite a bit more than one adult fare to go solo. If you decide to go, I think you'll have a fantastic time

I am 53....(very young 53). Carnival...female. I think I have decided if I cannot find someone to go....I will cancel the trip. :(

I am 53....(very young 53). Carnival...female. I think I have decided if I cannot find someone to go....I will cancel the trip. :(

have you looked on the cruise critic group boards to find some one else who is interested in going on a cruise but not paying the single fare?

have you looked on the cruise critic group boards to find some one else who is interested in going on a cruise but not paying the single fare?

That's what I was thinking. My last cruise my whole family cancelled on me. I found a roommate through CC and we had the greatest time. I made a life long friend out of the experience.

I have also done multiple solo cruises and can say that I highly enjoy them.

You didn't state what the unforseen circumstances were, so this may or may not apply in your case. IF the problem is financial, and IF you have the means to travel solo if you wanted to (ie, pay twice the fare just for yourself)...you might want to consider paying for your cousin to go. It would cost you the same as going single (or close to it) and you'd still get the vacation you wanted with your cousin.

IF the reason isn't financial for your cousin (ie, it's some sort of scheduling issue, etc.), but you can still afford to pay the single supplement, you might as well find a friend to go with you even if they can't afford to pay. Again, you get to cruise *with* someone you know and like, and it wouldn't cost you much more than traveling solo.

(Either way, work out ahead of time what you'd be willing to pay and what they'd be responsible for, put it in writing and both sign it)

Hi Ya'll. Thank you all so very much for the additional thoughts/suggestions. I cannot afford to pay for my cousin's cruise, unfortunately--(single...on a budget). Also, I am not sure I am willing to take the chance of sharing a room with a person whom I know nothing about........I DO have another friend in mind. If I can't find someone, I will just have to cancel.

Thanks again.

You all are a nice group of folks!!! ;)

Okay, Okay, I'll do it....I'll go with you. I pack light, don't make messes, LOVE to cruise and very laid back. Oh! And my birthday is in April! We can call it a birthday cruise. Actually, we can call it a birthday GIFT if you want to pay! :p

Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

I travelled for business for 25 years mostly solo and never had a problem with it. But, I am an independent sort and would sometimes add a few days onto a trip to spend time in a city I enjoyed.

I have been to Europe on vacation solo and cruised solo as well.

If you can afford the supplement and are an independent person who is happy with her own company, I cannot see why you would not have a great time. I go with the express purpose of doing the things I enjoy: working out, time in the sauna, beach time in port, lots of reading, wine tastings, etc.

I have always found people to chat with when I am feeling sociable as well as met nice people at dinner.

If you are one who prefers always to be in the company of others, then solo travel may not be for you.

Okay, Okay, I'll do it....I'll go with you. I pack light, don't make messes, LOVE to cruise and very laid back. Oh! And my birthday is in April! We can call it a birthday cruise. Actually, we can call it a birthday GIFT if you want to pay! :p

You sound wonderful. wish I COULD pay for ya! lol :o

When is your cruise scheduled for? I wouldn't cancel until right before final payment is due, just in case something changes for the better.

Don't worry--I'm gonna wait to see what happens. If I have to cancel, it won't be anytime soon. Thanks!

Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

I travelled for business for 25 years mostly solo and never had a problem with it. But, I am an independent sort and would sometimes add a few days onto a trip to spend time in a city I enjoyed.

I have been to Europe on vacation solo and cruised solo as well.

If you can afford the supplement and are an independent person who is happy with her own company, I cannot see why you would not have a great time. I go with the express purpose of doing the things I enjoy: working out, time in the sauna, beach time in port, lots of reading, wine tastings, etc.

people to chat with when I am feeling sociable as well as met nice people at dinner.

If you are one who prefers always to be in the company of others, then solo travel may not be for you.

Thanks.....I really don't think I wanna go solo for the FIRST cruise anyway...... Cindy

Just another thought, I often cruised solo also and a couple of times booked with someone I did not know for the better price (it worked out OK). But, now many communities have women's groups that focus on travel. You can attend meetings and see if you click with anyone who might also be interested in going. That way neither of you is going into it blind.

Another thing to think about, during my years of solo cruising (80's & early 90s), many of the ships were much smaller that they are now (more like 500 - 600 passengers). Kind of the difference between a b&b and a chain hotel. While I really enjoyed going alone and met great people, I am not sure I would enjoy the experienc today.

Archived