Flip Flops in the dining room

lmurf

Are flip flops allowed in the dining room? I saw several on our last cruise, both men and women. Just wonderin...

They say no, but in real life it is yes. I saw alot of flip flops on our July 22nd cruise on the AOS. Not even a word said to them.

-happy cruising

Ha, I think I've wandered into the dining room barefoot before. If I do wear shoes, they're almost always kicked off as soon as I sit down.

Tho you know pretty much the whole reason for mandatory shoe wearing is hookworm infestation - which is pretty much unheard of these days.

Well after my recent hammer toe surgery my podiatrist and I had a discussion about various shoes. He said Flip flops are awful for your feet, walking barefoot is better.

By the way, that is all that my daughter will be bringing on our cruise tomorrow.

Anyone want to see the picture of her moped-accident leg again?

She can't put a shoe on, because anything that TOUCHES her ankle, where the really deep cut is, much less RUBS AGAINST it, causes her excruciating pain.

Well after my recent hammer toe surgery my podiatrist and I had a discussion about various shoes. He said Flip flops are awful for your feet, walking barefoot is better.

I'm 51 and I still have spaces between my toes because of my penchant for going barefoot. The downside is callouses and dry skin and cracking.:(

My bf upsets me cause he likes to buy shoes at the goodwill (he has dozens of pairs of shoes) and isn't very particular about getting a proper fit. Not only do I fret he'll pick up a fungus but he's gotten a corn and what looks like the beginning of a bunion from wearing too tight shoes.

Btw, a little foot powder will do wonders for the smelly office-woman.

Hello,

I must admit that I wear them. Most nights I wear long dresses, of course some are fancier than others so you really have to look for them. I have both plain and sparkley ones, any way do you sit around and look at peoples feet??? I don't.

Before or after the bandages? :eek:

Actually, there has been an AMAZING amount of healing between Monday and Thursday. She actually only wears a protective "sock" over the leg now. The skin no longer looks like meat-grinder leftovers. The ankle is still bandaged and painful, though.

I just bought a pair of Reefs for $40 (flip flops) so I should be able to wear them in the dining room:D :D !

Just kidding! I would never pay that for flip flops until I started having a lot of trouble with my feet. These have lots of arch support! They better for that price!

Flip flops are now part of banned attire in the white house. There is now a formal dress code for the white house visits due to lack of judgement by many of the past college sports teams. You will see flip flops in the ships' formal dining rooms but that does not mean it is proper attire for the type of venue. There are formal nights but the dining room on a ship is always a formal dining room not a chain restaurant. This type of debate will never be settled until the formal dining room and specialty restaurants just become another chain restaurant dining room for get in and get out eating rather than dining.

Were they typical flip-flops (the rubberized cheap dollar store ones)?
Do they still make these things? I literally never see them: I don't see them at the stores, my kids don't own them, my high school students don't wear them to school. All the flip-flops I see are more substantial than the rubber shower-shoe type we used to have as kids; they're made by Nike, Teva, and other bigger companies. But underneath, they're still flip-flops. Fine for wearing with shorts -- not for dinner.

We all know that many women's shoes today are basically flip-flop style, but they're "beefed up" with a heel or embellishments. I saw something about footwear for business that makes sense: If you're questioning whether the shoe is business-appropriate, picture the feet of a bunch of people in an elevator. If the shoe you're thinking of would "fit in with" the guys in suits and wingtips, then it's fine for a woman to wear to work. On the other hand, if it looks foolishly casual, then it's a flip-flop and should be reserved for casual wear. This concept could be expanded for a cruise ship: Picture the shoe in question walking in with a bunch of other people who are dressed appropriately for dinner; if the shoe looks too athletic or too casual, then it's a flip-flop and should stay in the stateroom. If it's a sandal that happens to have no back, then it's appropriate women's dinner wear.

We live in FL where just about everyone wear's flip flops or now the fad is the crocs.Our last cruise on Disney I wore them almost every night and if idid not wear them I wore a slight dressier sandal. Mine are not the dollar store or old navy type but they come from LLBean I have 4 pairs of them all in different colors. I plan on taking 2 pair with us next month to Hawaii. If I had a chouce at work I would wear the flops but I am a nurse and that is forbidden as well as the Crocs.

Lexo

My take - flip flops are things worn on the feet that make a sound like flip then flop.

I don't care for the sound.

Just like I don't care for the sound of jangley bracelets. It's kinda of a "look at me" expression.

I vote for clothing that doen't make distracking sounds. One pair of flip floppin flip-flops is a small nuisance; a whole dining room of people flipping and flopping to their tables and out again wouldn't be fine dining to me.

But they are allowed on RCI to answer the OP.

Ask any podiatrist, flip-flops can be damaging to feet, no support, no protection.

Just think, the current generation of younger females alternate between spike heels and flip-flops, a podiatrist's dream situation.

We were at WDW in July, you used to see most people wearing quality sneakers, offering support and protection. Now half or more of the women wearing those flippy things, with all the walking to be done at the parks.

JMHO.

We were at WDW in July, you used to see most people wearing quality sneakers, offering support and protection. Now half or more of the women wearing those flippy things, with all the walking to be done at the parks.

JMHO.

I am one of those people that you probably saw wearing "flip flops" at WDW in July. I don't mean the Wal-Mart type, but I always wear my Crocs flip flops...and I'm a 50 year old woman. They might not look very pretty, and I'll admit that they don't offer any protection if someone steps on my foot, but the arch support and the cushioning under the heel are incredible. About a year ago I was having a lot of issues with a heel spur, and after several cortisone shots, I wasn't having any relief from the pain. We had a November trip scheduled for WDW and I really wanted to cancel, but my podiatrist told me to just wear a good pair of sneakers and I would be fine. I brought my New Balance sneakers (my podiatrist's favorite brand) to WDW, and I was absolutely miserable. They were good quality shoes, but didn't offer enough cushioning where I needed it the most. Shortly after that trip, I discovered Crocs and in no time my heel spur was no longer bothering me. Now I always wear my Crocs when I go to WDW (and I was there back in July) or any time that the spur starts to bother me again.

As far as whether or not you should wear flip flops in the dining hall, it wouldn't bother me one bit if you did. But I also don't tend to pay any attention to what other people are wearing unless they look really, really great, and then I notice.

Archived