Best hotel in NYC

amyfromjersey

WHY is everyone so focussed on staying mid-town? We are staying, peak season, at the #24 rated (out of over 320 hotels on tripadvisor) hotel in all of NYC. After reading this thread I started to doubt my decision but, if you look at my thread "NYC Financial District Hotel" (or something like that, last posting was September 2nd, I think) you'll see that many agree that this is a wonderful place to stay and, for the saving you'll have over mid-town, you can more than afford to take taxis everywhere. Why talk NJ and taking ferries when you can get a triple (yes, a triple!) room at the Hampton Inn Seaport for an average of $200 per night in December ($165 weeknights, $239 week-ends) including breakfast???!!! Please, read up on this great hotel and this wonderful area and find yourself a reasonable alternative to mid-town madness.

I personally hate staying in Midtown and stay downtown whenever possible. However, the best deal I've been able to find on a hotel has been the Park South which is in Murray Hill. Not Times Square but not as far south as I'd like.

The Financial District is one of the best areas of Manhattan.

I thought it was expensive to live in San Francisco...well, maybe it is but it is way more expensive to vacation in NYC. Yowsa....never seen hotel prices like this before. After weeks of searching, am settling on $300 a night for a decent (maybe??...hopefully!!) hotel near Midtown with pretty good traveler's reviews. I am finding $300 to be basic low price (looking for at least stars) upwards of $1000 a night for the nicer hotels. I am absolutely shocked by the sticker price. I see that the prices go up right after labor day. We will not be in town for Sept 11th but will be there the folllowing night. Are there huge tributes that are bringing in the masses or is $300 a night about as good as it is going to get?? I have seen prices offered for one day (non-refundable) that I have passed on and am wondering if that was such a wise move. We do have very elderly parents so it is kind of worth it to get everything that is cancellable (real word?) within a reasonable amount of time....so have passed on some of these daily deals. Why are the costs so much higher right after Sept 2nd?? I do want to stay in the midtown area of the city (suggestions from co-workers) but with these prices, am glad I planned my flight for only 2 days prior to embarkation. I guess I just shouldn't worry about it as it won't make any difference in a year from now....just shocked at the extreme prices of hotel rooms in Manhattan.

I stayed at the Hotel Intercontiental in Mid town over the Thanksgiving weekend in 06 for $179.00. You need to do some more shopping.

I stayed at the Hotel Intercontiental in Mid town over the Thanksgiving weekend in 06 for $179.00. You need to do some more shopping.

Hotel Intercontinental Mid-town, Tripadvisor rating #111 of 337 hotels in NYC - Sept. 12 through 15 - $435/nt.

Maybe rates have gone up in the past year?

WOW! check out quikbook.com

Okay, I just checked it out. I'm always open to new hotel search websites and use them often but, once I've researched price and ratings/opinions I go directly to the hotel to make the booking. I've only gone through on-line agencies twice and been burned both times.

Anyway, I tried a number of ways and dates but I'm darned if I can bring up a comparison to the rate I got on Orbitz (the $435 Canadian) for the Intercontinental. You can't search quikbook.com by hotel name, just by location. I would certainly be curious to see what rate came up for the 12th - 15th September if you can find it, so I can see how far off Orbitz is. I'm probably just not used to navigating that particular site.

I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

In Manhattan, past hotel prices have nothing to do with current ones.

The average daily rate for hotels for September of 2006 was over $300 per night.

I'm sure the rates at the Intercontinental this Thanksgiving start at over $350 per night.

You are right, visitors do need to determine what is best for them. I, personally, do a lot of research before going on any trip - guidebooks, personal opinions, forums - but not everyone does. NYC definitely offers something for everyone. My point is, especially in response to those who are actually considering staying in NJ to avoid the exorbitant hotel rates mid-town, there are other areas to stay and they might even be more suitable and/or desirable depending on what you are looking for.

We looked at hotels over all Manhattan.... Midtown, downtown, uptown, and we could NOT find one for under $300 a night. It might be because I am a tad picky, do not do the shared bathroom thing - sorry no amount of money saved can overcome that dislike. But for a hotel room with it's own bath, and two beds was not to be found anywhere. I think the closest we came was the financial district for $250 and for me still way too pricey.

The cost of the hotel was putting me off so much we almost decided to not fly in early but simply arrive the day of the cruise. However I am open to suggestions, so far everything that has been suggested has been over the $200/night - which is my budget. I know I know low for NY but that is what it is. NJ was able to met that and come under actually. Plus a respectable hotel.

As for research - i spent a month almost looking up hotels, websites, had two TA, my friend and I all looking up reading, trying to find information. It was the best we came up with between all of us. We would find something, try to call and book it, and it would be gone.

I found the info out there to be a tad on the wrong side. In that what frommers and other websites say that a hotel starts at, is NOT what the price starts at, maybe if you book a year in advance.... we booked in March for the cruise, April for the hotel. And I've still been looking hoping to find something a bit more convient in our price range.

The TA says the ferry isn't bad from NJ, I'm hoping she's right. So far she's done an outstanding job on all my other trips, so hopefully she keeps up the great work.:rolleyes:

We looked at hotels over all Manhattan.... Midtown, downtown, uptown, and we could NOT find one for under $300 a night. It might be because I am a tad picky, do not do the shared bathroom thing - sorry no amount of money saved can overcome that dislike. But for a hotel room with it's own bath, and two beds was not to be found anywhere. I think the closest we came was the financial district for $250 and for me still way too pricey.

The cost of the hotel was putting me off so much we almost decided to not fly in early but simply arrive the day of the cruise. However I am open to suggestions, so far everything that has been suggested has been over the $200/night - which is my budget. I know I know low for NY but that is what it is. NJ was able to met that and come under actually. Plus a respectable hotel.

As for research - i spent a month almost looking up hotels, websites, had two TA, my friend and I all looking up reading, trying to find information. It was the best we came up with between all of us. We would find something, try to call and book it, and it would be gone.

I found the info out there to be a tad on the wrong side. In that what frommers and other websites say that a hotel starts at, is NOT what the price starts at, maybe if you book a year in advance.... we booked in March for the cruise, April for the hotel. And I've still been looking hoping to find something a bit more convient in our price range.

The TA says the ferry isn't bad from NJ, I'm hoping she's right. So far she's done an outstanding job on all my other trips, so hopefully she keeps up the great work.:rolleyes:

IMHO, doesn't the $50 difference for the hotel in the Financial District equal the amount of time and effort you've put into all the research? You may end up with a 6 month search that produces the same results. ;)

Ferry is good from NJ. Just check schedule to find out what time the last one departs. It's usually pretty late - about 1:00AM (but not late enough if you decide to have a few cocktails). ;)

Check out the NY Waterway website. It will give you the info you need.

Amen to that! In April, 2005 we stayed at Le Parker Meridien for $359 a night. In April, 2006 the rate for the same room on the same site we used to book in 2005, was $675! :eek:

We picked up the Le Parker Meridien on Priceline for $150 + tax the first week of June this year. I would only use Priceline or Hotwire and bid three or four stars. There are many great locations around NYC!:)

During high demand dates, you might try this hotel:

http://www.chelsealodge.com/Rates.htm

Very small rooms with shower and sink; restroom down the hall. Very clean and a European feel, but for $119 a night, a great find. Feel like a local in this quiet neighborhood.

Enjoy!

Kel

I personally am looking at somewhere where four or five of us can walk somewhere. The last time we stayed at Travel Inn and paid $140 a night. Well that price certainly has changed.

We want to be close because we are planning a couple days of seeing sights we didn't see in NYC before. We would also like to go to the Today Show but I don't remember what time you have to be there.

We picked up the Le Parker Meridien on Priceline for $150 + tax the first week of June this year.Kel

Now that's a deal! Good for you. I usually check out Priceline, but I never thought Le Parker Meridien was one of the bidding hotels. Will have to try again. Thanks! ;)

Sorry, no sharing the bathroom down the hall for me.

Now that's a deal! Good for you. I usually check out Priceline, but I never thought Le Parker Meridien was one of the bidding hotels. Will have to try again. Thanks! ;)

Sorry, no sharing the bathroom down the hall for me.

The Chelsea Lodge does have suites that go for $195 and they have new complete bathrooms. Go to the website and click on the "suites" and check out the photos. Pretty nice.

These are the hotels offered on Priceline in the four star upper midtown/central park south catagory:

UPPER MIDTOWN - CENTRAL PARK SOUTH

4 Star

Jumeirah Essex House LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (formerly Westin Essex House)

LeParkerMeridien LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW [/url]

Drake Swissotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (this hotel is now closed)

The Regency, a Loews Hotel

Good luck!

Kel:)

The Chelsea Lodge looks charming. We are three adults, and we don't want to have to get two rooms, so a suite would be ideal. Did you feel safe walking around the neighborhood where the lodge is located.

We plan to sail from NYC in January. How long did it take you to get to the pier at 55th?

The Chelsea Lodge looks charming. We are three adults, and we don't want to have to get two rooms, so a suite would be ideal. Did you feel safe walking around the neighborhood where the lodge is located.

We plan to sail from NYC in January. How long did it take you to get to the pier at 55th?

Great neighborhood. Pretty much a residential block; small school across the street; Walgreens at the corner; Starbucks and many restaurants in the area. Here is a TripAvisor look at the Chelsea Lodge:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d80083-Reviews-Chelsea_Lodge-New_York_City_New_York.html

Ten minute taxi ride to the cruise termianal.

Have a great cruise,

The Chelsea Lodge does have suites that go for $195 and they have new complete bathrooms. Go to the website and click on the "suites" and check out the photos. Pretty nice.

These are the hotels offered on Priceline in the four star upper midtown/central park south catagory:

UPPER MIDTOWN - CENTRAL PARK SOUTH

4 Star

Jumeirah Essex House LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (formerly Westin Essex House)

LeParkerMeridien LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW Check for Great Rates at Le Parker Meridien from Easyclicktravel.com--CLICK HERE

Drake Swissotel LINK TO HOTEL REVIEW (this hotel is now closed)

The Regency, a Loews Hotel

Good luck!

Thanks, Kel. Appreciate your help and the links! We like the neighborhoods vs. midtown. ;)

January is off peak for rates, you should be able to find plenty of reasonable hotels, IF outside of New Years.

I've gone frequently in this timeframe, Jan/Feb. Be prepared for the weather, but you can get lucky. :) Overall, the bottom of the hotel rates going this timeframe.

Archived