Best hotel in NYC

amyfromjersey

The Waldorf-Astoria is in a good location. Within walking distance to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and 5th Avenue. A little longer walk brings you to Broadway or Central Park. (We were there in April and I got a pretty good rate by searching the web.)

When are you coming and what is your budget?

Best hotels all 5* or above

St. Regis

The Pierre

Plaza-Athenee

Mark

Four Seasons

Mandarin Oriental

The Carlyle

The Penninsula

Those are a few to start. A tiny teeny step down would be:

The Essex House

The Trump

Ritz Carlton Central Park South

Ritz Carlton Battery Park

The Palace

The Towers at The Waldorf Astoria (the regular hotel isn't as nice)

Be prepared for sticker shock for any hotel in NYC. In Sept/Oct '06 I stayed at the "Edison" for $200 per night. It's right in Time Square. Lovely old art deco style like Radio City Music Hall. We did the hop on/hop off bus and then walked all around Time Square area. When our feet gave out, we rode in a pedicab (what a ride).

There have been a lot of postings here on this board. Someone mentioned the Super 8 right at Times Square, and we did see it when we were there.

All depends on what you are looking for, and what your budget is.

Be prepared for sticker shock for any hotel in NYC. In Sept/Oct '06 I stayed at the "Edison" for $200 per night. It's right in Time Square. Lovely old art deco style like Radio City Music Hall. We did the hop on/hop off bus and then walked all around Time Square area. When our feet gave out, we rode in a pedicab (what a ride).

There have been a lot of postings here on this board. Someone mentioned the Super 8 right at Times Square, and we did see it when we were there.

All depends on what you are looking for, and what your budget is.

We're going there for our anniversary the weekend of the 18th. First time in New York and I chose a hotel in Midtown Manhattan. The price is $225 and the place looks good. I figure its our first time there, the next will be better.

You could stay at places near Central Park and of course another option is to stay at a hotel near Times Square. I would go to sources such as Frommers and tripadviser.com to start to look up hotels and then see where they are located.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was expensive to live in San Francisco...well, maybe it is but it is way more expensive to vacation in NYC. Yowsa....never seen hotel prices like this before. After weeks of searching, am settling on $300 a night for a decent (maybe??...hopefully!!) hotel near Midtown with pretty good traveler's reviews. I am finding $300 to be basic low price (looking for at least stars) upwards of $1000 a night for the nicer hotels. I am absolutely shocked by the sticker price. I see that the prices go up right after labor day. We will not be in town for Sept 11th but will be there the folllowing night. Are there huge tributes that are bringing in the masses or is $300 a night about as good as it is going to get?? I have seen prices offered for one day (non-refundable) that I have passed on and am wondering if that was such a wise move. We do have very elderly parents so it is kind of worth it to get everything that is cancellable (real word?) within a reasonable amount of time....so have passed on some of these daily deals. Why are the costs so much higher right after Sept 2nd?? I do want to stay in the midtown area of the city (suggestions from co-workers) but with these prices, am glad I planned my flight for only 2 days prior to embarkation. I guess I just shouldn't worry about it as it won't make any difference in a year from now....just shocked at the extreme prices of hotel rooms in Manhattan.

I stay at the Super 8 several times/year. Excellent location. But I have found my rates dropping like a stone, sometimes after my initial reservations made months ahead. Last time, ended up dropping $100/night. So it can pay to keep track of rates and rebook at soon as you see a drop, then an easy cancel of the orginal.

The Hudson Hotel on 58th st is a boutique hotel you can get in the 200-300 range. Rooms are very small.

Holiday Inn on 57th street is walking distance to the piers.

Marriott Marque in Time Square is nice with a revolving bar/ restaurant on top

Hilton on 6th Ave is nice.

The W is OK

The Paramount on I think 44th near TIME SQUARE is another boutique hotel in the mid $250-300

Mark

Edison is a very good value, and a super location. Also you might try Apple Core hotels, a group of "budget" franchise hotels you might not expect to find in Manhattan, all very good values (again, think Manhattan, you will have sticker shock). Here is the Apple Core link: http://www.applecorehotels.com/apple-core-hotels/

In August Allen and I had very good luck with Hotwire (google it), a site that gives you a little more control than does Priceline. We got 3 nights at the Roosevelt, a very nice 3 star hotel at Madison & 45th for $153/night. In what they called their "cozy queen," the smallest room we have ever had in NYC (smaller even than some cruise ship cabins), but very comfortable, great location, and super price. Of course, we did not know the name of the hotel we had purchased until after we had purchased, but we did know it would be a 3 star hotel in Midtown East. If you don't want to go the Priceline or Hotwire route, the Edison or Apple Core will probably be your best value bets.

David

We're having to pay $600 per night for a 3 night post cruise stay (plus taxes!) in a 4* small hotel.

I'm horrified, but can find nothing much better and i've been search since February!

This seems to be one of the most expensive weekends to stay in New York - does anybody know why?

We normally stay in 5* hotels, but they were off the scale!

I see that the prices go up right after labor day. We will not be in town for Sept 11th but will be there the folllowing night. Are there huge tributes that are bringing in the masses or is $300 a night about as good as it is going to get?? I have seen prices offered for one day (non-refundable) that I have passed on and am wondering if that was such a wise move. .

Peak season is Labor Day through New Years and entry level moderate hotels will start at around $300. Many things contribute to this being peak season but your dates are Fashion Week.

Three to four star hotels will start around $450 and upper tier hotels will start around $600 per night.

We're having to pay $600 per night for a 3 night post cruise stay (plus taxes!) in a 4* small hotel.

I'm horrified, but can find nothing much better and i've been search since February!

This seems to be one of the most expensive weekends to stay in New York - does anybody know why?

We normally stay in 5* hotels, but they were off the scale!

Where did you book the hotel - through the cruiseline? Did you try Priceline?

Why is New York so expensive in October? We are sailing out of Red Hook in Brooklyn and I don't want to have to spend as much as my whole cruise for a one night hotel stay. We are flying into Laguardia........I would even stay by the airport if I knew the area was OK, and which hotels......HELP

Where did you book the hotel - through the cruiseline? Did you try Priceline?

We booked it direct with the hotel - wanted to choose the hotel, so was not happy to use Priceline. We've got a guarantee cabin on the QM2 and the suspense on that is unbearable! Couldn't have coped with a lucky dip on Priceline as well!

Why is New York so expensive in October? We are sailing out of Red Hook in Brooklyn and I don't want to have to spend as much as my whole cruise for a one night hotel stay. We are flying into Laguardia........I would even stay by the airport if I knew the area was OK, and which hotels......HELP

Because October is peak season.

Which hotels are clean and decent by LaGuardia?..............

I'd not stay by LGA. It isn't that the area is crime ridden (unlike Newark) but just so busy and yucky.

Why not stay in Brooklyn? Have you looked at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott?

Another thought is to stay in NJ. I was rather outraged by the hotel prices in Manhattan... not a fan of paying over 300/night for the Super 8. And a little leary with trying the priceline or other internet sales. We booked at the Sheraton Suites on the Hudson. It was under 200 a night, a good hotel and still close to Manhattan. The extra bit of traveling might be good or bad, the jury is still out on that! However, my TA, says it's not that bothersome to be across the river. I tend to trust her word, as so far she's batting a hundred percent with all the cruises she's set up for me.

My travel partner and myself are leaving in October for a two week cruise but spending two days in NY first. Not a very long time, but with the hotel prices, pretty much all we can afford!

So what is your experience? Is taking the ferry across a big deal?

Another thought is to stay in NJ. I was rather outraged by the hotel prices in Manhattan... not a fan of paying over 300/night for the Super 8. And a little leary with trying the priceline or other internet sales. We booked at the Sheraton Suites on the Hudson. It was under 200 a night, a good hotel and still close to Manhattan. The extra bit of traveling might be good or bad, the jury is still out on that! However, my TA, says it's not that bothersome to be across the river. I tend to trust her word, as so far she's batting a hundred percent with all the cruises she's set up for me.

My travel partner and myself are leaving in October for a two week cruise but spending two days in NY first. Not a very long time, but with the hotel prices, pretty much all we can afford!

So what is your experience? Is taking the ferry across a big deal?

WHY is everyone so focussed on staying mid-town? We are staying, peak season, at the #24 rated (out of over 320 hotels on tripadvisor) hotel in all of NYC. After reading this thread I started to doubt my decision but, if you look at my thread "NYC Financial District Hotel" (or something like that, last posting was September 2nd, I think) you'll see that many agree that this is a wonderful place to stay and, for the saving you'll have over mid-town, you can more than afford to take taxis everywhere. Why talk NJ and taking ferries when you can get a triple (yes, a triple!) room at the Hampton Inn Seaport for an average of $200 per night in December ($165 weeknights, $239 week-ends) including breakfast???!!! Please, read up on this great hotel and this wonderful area and find yourself a reasonable alternative to mid-town madness.

WHY is everyone so focussed on staying mid-town? We are staying, peak season, at the #24 rated (out of over 320 hotels on tripadvisor) hotel in all of NYC. After reading this thread I started to doubt my decision but, if you look at my thread "NYC Financial District Hotel" (or something like that, last posting was September 2nd, I think) you'll see that many agree that this is a wonderful place to stay and, for the saving you'll have over mid-town, you can more than afford to take taxis everywhere. Why talk NJ and taking ferries when you can get a triple (yes, a triple!) room at the Hampton Inn Seaport for an average of $200 per night in December ($165 weeknights, $239 week-ends) including breakfast???!!! Please, read up on this great hotel and this wonderful area and find yourself a reasonable alternative to mid-town madness.

From what I understand, you have not been to NYC yet??? I am one who does like a midtown location. I go to the theater every night, and the convenience of walking about on the busy streets at all hours, is my preference. Time is also better used for my preferences, by subway, it's 20 minutes downtown. I spend a lot of time in Central Park, and especially at Christmas, I like the lights of midtown. It is worth the cost for me, and I go several times per year, always at Christmas.

Visitors, will just need to determine what is best for them and make plans for the best use of their time.

From what I understand, you have not been to NYC yet??? I am one who does like a midtown location. I go to the theater every night, and the convenience of walking about on the busy streets at all hours, is my preference. Time is also better used for my preferences, by subway, it's 20 minutes downtown. I spend a lot of time in Central Park, and especially at Christmas, I like the lights of midtown. It is worth the cost for me, and I go several times per year, always at Christmas.

Visitors, will just need to determine what is best for them and make plans for the best use of their time.

You are right, visitors do need to determine what is best for them. I, personally, do a lot of research before going on any trip - guidebooks, personal opinions, forums - but not everyone does. NYC definitely offers something for everyone. My point is, especially in response to those who are actually considering staying in NJ to avoid the exorbitant hotel rates mid-town, there are other areas to stay and they might even be more suitable and/or desirable depending on what you are looking for.

Archived