Going through customs

Sierra Fox

I found this posted on a Netscape Travel Board :

As Puerto Rico is part of the US commonwealth, U.S. Immigration and Customs Laws and Regulations apply, however, U.S. citizens flying back to the U.S. mainland from Puerto Rico will not have to pass through Customs before boarding their flight.

The way I read this is that we don't have to go through customs at the airport in San Juan after returning from our cruise. Am I understanding that correctly?

Also, what about customs after returning to the US? I'm looking for airfare and have found a decently priced flight that has a connection in Dallas/Fort Worth but there is only 45 minutes allowed for the connecting flight. This doesn't sound like enough time to me if we have to go through customs, recheck our luggage, and then possibly change terminals. So, if we don't have to go through customs in San Juan, will we have to go through customs upon reaching Dallas? - SF

You will go through Customs as you depart the ship. Once you're past that, you're free and clear. You do have to go through Agriculture at the airport to make sure you're not taking any fobidden agricultural items from PR to the US, but that's it. Otherwise, it's like flying domestic.

HTH! :)

Thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for.

I guess as long as the flight wasn't delayed, a 45 minute connection might be possible. With roundtrip airfare between Vegas and San Juan for only $313, I might just have to try it and find out. - SF

Are you looking at flying American? A 45 minute connection at DFW should be doable even with a terminal change unless your incoming flight is delayed. I always have to make a terminal change at DFW (American Eagle flies out of B while American flies out of A, C, and D). With the new terminal link train it has really sped up the time between terminals.

Are you looking at flying American? A 45 minute connection at DFW should be doable even with a terminal change unless your incoming flight is delayed. I always have to make a terminal change at DFW (American Eagle flies out of B while American flies out of A, C, and D). With the new terminal link train it has really sped up the time between terminals.

Yes, the flight is on American. I haven't been to DFW since they started using the new train so I wasn't sure how efficient it was. This is good news, thanks for the info! - SF

You will go through Customs as you depart the ship. Once you're past that, you're free and clear. You do have to go through Agriculture at the airport to make sure you're not taking any fobidden agricultural items from PR to the US, but that's it. Otherwise, it's like flying domestic.

HTH! :)

Unless something has changed, cruise ship passengers luggage with the disembarkation tags still on are exempt from the inspection since you have already been asked about those issues at customs already.

So never, tear your disembarkation tags off! We learned the hard way and fortunately several nice passengers around us had a bunch of extra ones that we used.

if your cruise is stopping in St Thomas, I've read that that is where you do "customs" (you meet at an ungodly hour in the morning to present your passport). And I also read that cruise passengers leaving their tags on don't go through Agri inspections. Some airlines have baggage check at the cruise terminal, so if you can do that, then you just walk right through to security, and to the gate at the airport, avoiding long waits.

• 3 months later...
Just returned for Crown Princess out of San Juan. We went through customs disembarking the SHIP. We still had to run our bags through USDA at the airport (quick process).

You should not have had to run your bags through the USDA inspection at the airport. Leave your cruise tags on and you're all set to go. It's been this way for our last 3 cruises out of SJU and from everything that I can find it's still the same way.

You should not have had to run your bags through the USDA inspection at the airport. Leave your cruise tags on and you're all set to go. It's been this way for our last 3 cruises out of SJU and from everything that I can find it's still the same way.

We got off the Serenade two weeks ago and it was still this way. As long as you leave your cruise tags on you will be fine.

We cleared customs when we got off the ship. We did not have to clear customs in St. Thomas. The process was very quick and our luggage was in the next room waiting for us.

Archived