Carry-on measurement at Airport.

Are we there yet?

Do airports just put your carry-on into one of those "racks" that they have at travel stores to measure your bag or do they get out a tape measure?

Silly question I know:o , but it has been a long time since I have flown.

Since I want to take a garment bag as a carry-on, I know I can get it to fit into the rack, but if they start measuring it without it being folded it might not meet requirements. This is NOT one of those big suitcase type garment bags btw, just a better than average suit bag.

For some reason I can't imagine them with tape measures, but you never know!!

Most airlines do not measure each and every piece of carry-on luggage, but they could if they chose to. Check with your individual airline to see what their size limits are; some use a three dimensional limit as defined by those sizer boxes, and some use a total linear dimensions (and have a tape measure handy for that purpose)

Most airlines do not measure each and every piece of carry-on luggage, but they could if they chose to. Check with your individual airline to see what their size limits are; some use a three dimensional limit as defined by those sizer boxes, and some use a total linear dimensions (and have a tape measure handy for that purpose)

Thank you cherylandtk,:) we will have to wait until next year to check with the airline though, as we are flying with Princess air and won't know until just before we go who we are flying with. As soon as they let me know I will be calling!

I was thinking I could probably use one of those luggage straps around it to make it fit, and then when we get through I will take it off so everything doesn't wrinkle like crazy.

Thank you cherylandtk,:) we will have to wait until next year to check with the airline though, as we are flying with Princess air and won't know until just before we go who we are flying with. As soon as they let me know I will be calling!

I was thinking I could probably use one of those luggage straps around it to make it fit, and then when we get through I will take it off so everything doesn't wrinkle like crazy.

You most likely will have to lay it flat through the security scanner. Quite a few airports are requesting garment bags FLAT on the scanner. I fly a lot and I have NEVER seen an airline measure a garment bag of the type you have. They KNOW if it is folded up that it meets the requirements. Unless you got a real a**, you should have no problems.

However, the INSTANT you know what your flights are from Princess, you will have to call the airline to get seats. As the most desirable seats (and consequently the early boarding priority) will most likely be gone by the time you find out what flights you have, my suggestion is pick a seat towards the BACK of the plane. You will have a MUCH better chance of laying your garment bag out flat in the overhead if you board last. You can lay it out flat ON TOP of everyone else's stuff.

Is there a reason you are taking Princess air???

You most likely will have to lay it flat through the security scanner. Quite a few airports are requesting garment bags FLAT on the scanner. I fly a lot and I have NEVER seen an airline measure a garment bag of the type you have. They KNOW if it is folded up that it meets the requirements. Unless you got a real a**, you should have no problems.

However, the INSTANT you know what your flights are from Princess, you will have to call the airline to get seats. As the most desirable seats (and consequently the early boarding priority) will most likely be gone by the time you find out what flights you have, my suggestion is pick a seat towards the BACK of the plane. You will have a MUCH better chance of laying your garment bag out flat in the overhead if you board last. You can lay it out flat ON TOP of everyone else's stuff.

Is there a reason you are taking Princess air???

I'm hoping we don't get an a** then!:) Thanks for the suggestion of laying it out flat on top......I wouldn't have thought of that.

One of the reasons we are taking Princess air is the price....I think. We are paying $1229 each to go from Detroit to Tahiti, and from Hawaii to Detroit. We also thought that Princess would get us there one way or other if there were problems, although we are flying in a few days before the cruise. Since we have not flown in about 27 years the thought of co-ordinating such a long trip is nerve racking.

I had thought of getting our TA to look into booking our flight .....it is just the worry if something going wrong that nags at me.

Any suggestions you have would be most appreciated.:)

Yes, you can do the air on your own if you like or though your TA but if you don't fly that often (you said 27 years) just let Princess take care of this for you. Just make sure that they allow sufficient time between your connecting flights and if you are concerned about it when the TA gets the information from Princess have them go back to ask for an alternative flight.

Keith

We also thought that Princess would get us there one way or other if there were problems, although we are flying in a few days before the cruise.

Please beware of that impression that Princess "would get us there one way or another". Many posts regarding the realities of cruise air in the face of flight delays or cancellations - read the sticky at the top of the page. Look at the fine print of the cruise air arrangements and you'll see that they merely act as your agent in purchasing tickets without additional legal liabilities. And a ton of disclaimers.

Since we have not flown in about 27 years the thought of co-ordinating such a long trip is nerve racking.

It is not the length of a trip that might make it difficult, but rather the number and types of flights/connections. A transcon non-stop is quite an easy proposition, while a multi-connect itinerary of a much shorter distance may be a snake-pit. Don't necessarily think just mileage - think of the "critical path" items that are along the way.

Mostly, you just need to logically take things piece by piece, taking into account factors of convenience, utility, price, service and overall efficiency. Not that hard to do if you take it step by step, thinking and making decisions on information. Like the joke, it's how a mouse eats an elephant. Piece by piece.

Yes, you can do the air on your own if you like or though your TA but if you don't fly that often (you said 27 years) just let Princess take care of this for you. Just make sure that they allow sufficient time between your connecting flights and if you are concerned about it when the TA gets the information from Princess have them go back to ask for an alternative flight.

Keith

Keith, thank you for reminding me to leave sufficient time between flights.....I will make sure our TA looks for this also. The ship leaves on a Friday, and we would like to fly out on the Monday, so that should leave us time to get there if a flight gets cancelled........I'm hoping.:)

Please beware of that impression that Princess "would get us there one way or another". Many posts regarding the realities of cruise air in the face of flight delays or cancellations - read the sticky at the top of the page. Look at the fine print of the cruise air arrangements and you'll see that they merely act as your agent in purchasing tickets without additional legal liabilities. And a ton of disclaimers.

It is not the length of a trip that might make it difficult, but rather the number and types of flights/connections. A transcon non-stop is quite an easy proposition, while a multi-connect itinerary of a much shorter distance may be a snake-pit. Don't necessarily think just mileage - think of the "critical path" items that are along the way.

Mostly, you just need to logically take things piece by piece, taking into account factors of convenience, utility, price, service and overall efficiency. Not that hard to do if you take it step by step, thinking and making decisions on information. Like the joke, it's how a mouse eats an elephant. Piece by piece.

FlyerTalker, when we booked the flights a few months ago we were under the impression that Princess would get us there one way or another.......since reading these posts, we now know differently.

I liked your analogy.....it gave me a little more confidence for future flights I may book. However from reading other replies on prices to Tahiti, I think we have a good one and with a few days to play with, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your help.:)

Archived