PG ending 2008?

parisbully

I know when we were recently on the PG the captain told someone who told me that the contract has been extended at least through 2010. But I have no idea if that's the "official" word or just hearsay.

There is no "official" announcement about anything.

I have heard conflicting reports of 2008 is it, an extension through 2009, etc. from "good sources", so obviously people within Regent "know" different things. Captains and crew can be given "optimistic" info to keep them from moving on to another ship just as possibly as they have good info.

I don't understand the disconnect, but that's just me.

While anything can be true -- the uncertainty is causing concern amongst the staff. A friend of one of "Les Gaugines" (entertainment on board) said that she is seeking employment elsewhere. Not a great sign for those of us who enjoyed these talented women.

I agree, the uncertainty is partly what caused morale to plummet back in 2005, for our B2B cruise in June of that year. Shortly before that, everybody thought that 2005 was *it* (the other cause was GCT meddling I believe). Now I'm booked for the end of 2008, so I very much hope that this will be cleared up long before then. If 2008 is truly the end, I will have to assess very carefully whether the state of the ship at the time would be worthwhile.

While anything can be true -- the uncertainty is causing concern amongst the staff. A friend of one of "Les Gaugines" (entertainment on board) said that she is seeking employment elsewhere. Not a great sign for those of us who enjoyed these talented women.

As I said....

Wendythewanderer, I am going end of 2008 also. And the morale will be a deciding factor for us. We have been on many RSSC cruises - loved the Diamond....And always wanted to do Tahiti. Hopefully we didn't wait to long. Will keep watching this board. I booked Tahitian Princess also for that time so will cancel one. Know you can't compare the two lines, but I had my heart set on Tahiti for a BIG birthday.

I hope 2008 won't bring the end of the Regent PG era, but if it does, I can offer a few words of comfort for those of you booked on late 2008 cruises. We were on the *final* cruise of the Diamond a few years ago, and had some concerns about the shape of the ship and crew morale. We needn't have worried; it was fabulous. Yes, there was some sadness (among crew and passengers), but the crew did their normal top-notch job. There was no feeling that things had been let go; they didn't skimp or run out of things. In fact, among our fond memories of that trip was the lobster blow-out (the chef decided to use up the lobster supply by grilling lobster tails on the deck foor lunch -- they just kept grilling, and we kept eating!). The crew did a great job until the end, even though they were leaving the ship right after us and scattering around the world.

I would hope that if Regent loses the PG, they'll send her out in style and keep their loyal customers satisfied -- but hopefully, that day will be many years off...

-- Eric

My concern isn't particularly about who manages the ship. I read an article recently (do not recall where) that more and more GCT employees have been added to the ship --- "Boatman" no doubt knows the specifics (plus I read that he wil be on board the PG this month and may learn a bit more). I believe the Captain and "non-hotel" employees are now GCT. Since GCT has a very poor reputation, I wonder how their increasing presence on board is affecting "employees" of Regent.

This is such a popular cruise, I'm surprised that Regent has not purchased a ship to compete with the PG and TP. I'm sure there will be a lot of people watching and waiting to see what transpires with the situation.:confused:

I am sailing on the August 22nd cruise, so hopefully I can gain some insight from an operational standpoint. I don't think the staff or crew will be a more accurate source as to the possible extension of the charter.

As for booking later in to 2008, I personally wouldn't discourage it at all. Possibly...that is possibly...there may a slippage in service, but what are your options: Tahitian Princess (and that isn't definite as it is being pulled from the year round market) or Star Clipper? The PG will probably still be your best alternative for a smaller ship with upscale service.

And, if half of my information is correct, the PG may well be sailing under the Regent banner beyond 2008. (Of course if the other half is correct...:( )

I am sailing on the August 22nd cruise, so hopefully I can gain some insight from an operational standpoint. I don't think the staff or crew will be a more accurate source as to the possible extension of the charter.

As for booking later in to 2008, I personally wouldn't discourage it at all. Possibly...that is possibly...there may a slippage in service, but what are your options: Tahitian Princess (and that isn't definite as it is being pulled from the year round market) or Star Clipper? The PG will probably still be your best alternative for a smaller ship with upscale service.

And, if half of my information is correct, the PG may well be sailing under the Regent banner beyond 2008. (Of course if the other half is correct...:( )

We were on the April 19th, got to know some of the Les Gaugines girls, one of them, Hena came and staywith us after the cruise. The girls and some of the staff are looking for other jobs, she is not signing on after March. We are going back on January 16 and 26 for a back to back 24 day curise.

It may be that it will not be Regent after 2008, or a lot of staff are jumping ship early. She is talking to the Star Clipper as well as others.

Mike

I've heard also that the non-hotel staff now all work for GCT.

I remember hearing all about the great Diamond sendoff--we had the good fortune to sail on her the year before. The difference with the PG is that some of the local Polynesian staff surely won't just transfer to another ship like other hotel staff did on Diamond (or went on to another cruiseline, like the Captains.)

2many, no, we're booked on the 14-day Marquesas trip in December 2008. Good fortune and good health will dictate if we make it. It will be our 4th trip on the PG, 28 days so far.

These are the sort of things that lead me to believe my original information is correct: No PG after 2008.

It might well be that Regent cannot announce it will not have the ship thereafter due to contractual limitations, but again it is just speculation.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up...but a friend is looking to book the PG and her travel agent who does a huge amount of business with Regent was told that PG will be cruising with them at least through September 09. Itineraries will be out this September.

Archived