Questions on Bully Tours in Aruba??

2Canucks

OK, thanks for the "heads up" on what he furnishes.

So Aruaba sets the prices of at least $45 an hour for a cab ride? That may seem cheap to some, but it gets expensive if you want to really SEE something in Aruba. What if it only takes 30 minute to get to where you need to go? Do they still charge $45???

So Aruaba sets the prices of at least $45 an hour for a cab ride? That may seem cheap to some, but it gets expensive if you want to really SEE something in Aruba. What if it only takes 30 minute to get to where you need to go? Do they still charge $45???

I think that if you don't use the 45 minutes, they will up the price to $90, because they will be angry you aren't using the time you booked.

Edited by 6rugrats

Think of it as a tour, not a taxi ride. For 5 people to go on a two hour tour for $90 is only $18, per person! From everything I've read about Bully, you'll get your money's worth! :) We had planned to use him in March until we saw that our ship is only in port from 7-12:30, which means being back on board by 11:45am. :( So, we'll just walk around for an hour or so and let someone use Bully who can enjoy more time with him.

Think of it as a tour, not a taxi ride. For 5 people to go on a two hour tour for $90 is only $18, per person! From everything I've read about Bully, you'll get your money's worth! :)

That is an excellent summary. It is far from a "taxi ride".

It is a guided tour of the island and some of its attractions.

Bully is not only honest, but he is a native Aruban who speaks English you will be able to understand and is knowledgeable about his island and the subjects on which he speaks.

Thanks for the info. Did you just ask for a special amount of time, or did he have a tour that you used? How much time do we need?

Bully will work with you. He will customize your tour to what you want/need.

We wanted very little walking. We did a three hour tour and saw nearly everything on the island.

• 2 weeks later...
Just back from a cruise that included Aruba & Bully.

Best tour of the cruise.

i second this!

we were in aruba on 12/13. we didn't have a lot of time in aruba and bully helped us make the best of it. we got to see everything we wanted to and a lot more. we absolutely loved bully!

how does Bully take payment? Before the ship sails (i.e., now/at booking)? Or when we arrive and do our tour?

If it's before the ship sails, does he take credit card?

Assuming it's it's when we arrive it would be cash.

Also... what happens if the ship needs to alter the itinerary mid-sailing? Does he keep track of when the ships come into port.

I know this is subjective -- but if you have done this before, have you tipped above and beyond the $45/hr?

how does Bully take payment? Before the ship sails (i.e., now/at booking)? Or when we arrive and do our tour?

If it's before the ship sails, does he take credit card?

Assuming it's it's when we arrive it would be cash.

Also... what happens if the ship needs to alter the itinerary mid-sailing? Does he keep track of when the ships come into port.

I know this is subjective -- but if you have done this before, have you tipped above and beyond the $45/hr?

He takes cash payment after the tour is over. I think the taxi drivers try to know when ships are coming in. He was so great and did a lot of extras -beer for my husband, baked goods for me and carrots to feed donkeys-we gave him a tip in addition to the $45 per hour.

Over Christmas, from the Carnival Breeze we visited Aruba. Bully was booked but he suggested we book Ivan. $45 per hour, 3 hour tour for the whole island.

What a great tour. Ivan talked in perfect English for the entire tour. Ivan told us plenty about the island, himself, his family, and his connection to the island. Our tour took almost four hours. We were never rushed and Ivan was great. He speaks 5 languages for those that need something other than English. We loved both the tour and the island.

Places we visited:

California Lights House, Alto Vista Chapel, Casi Bari Rock Formation pass by the Ayo Rock formation show you the Indian drawing, natural Bridge and we pass by the Eagle and Palm beach and the countryside. It's 3 hours tour. The price per hour tour is $45.00 dollar. It's per hour not per person. 3 hour tour is $135.00 dollar total. I can carry only 5 pax.

Contact information for Ivan: ijgordijk@setarnet.aw

CC, thanks for another great tour suggestion.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Over Christmas, from the Carnival Breeze we visited Aruba. Bully was booked but he suggested we book Ivan. $45 per hour, 3 hour tour for the whole island.

What a great tour. Ivan talked in perfect English for the entire tour. Ivan told us plenty about the island, himself, his family, and his connection to the island. Our tour took almost four hours. We were never rushed and Ivan was great. He speaks 5 languages for those that need something other than English. We loved both the tour and the island.

Places we visited:

California Lights House, Alto Vista Chapel, Casi Bari Rock Formation pass by the Ayo Rock formation show you the Indian drawing, natural Bridge and we pass by the Eagle and Palm beach and the countryside. It's 3 hours tour. The price per hour tour is $45.00 dollar. It's per hour not per person. 3 hour tour is $135.00 dollar total. I can carry only 5 pax.

Contact information for Ivan: ijgordijk@setarnet.aw

CC, thanks for another great tour suggestion.

a.jpg

b.jpg

Bruce,

I love Cruise Critic! I e-mailed Bully this week for a tour in March and he was booked but recommened Ivan. I told my husband that I would go back to Cruise Critic to see if there was any info on Ivan and there was your post! From a fellow SE Wisconsinite, with an Aaron Rodgers avatar on the day of a Packers playoff game! I guess we are meant to tour with Ivan. I just sent an e-mail off to him. Let's hope he's not booked. Thanks!

Jody

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Bruce,

I love Cruise Critic! I e-mailed Bully this week for a tour in March and he was booked but recommened Ivan. I told my husband that I would go back to Cruise Critic to see if there was any info on Ivan and there was your post! From a fellow SE Wisconsinite, with an Aaron Rodgers avatar on the day of a Packers playoff game! I guess we are meant to tour with Ivan. I just sent an e-mail off to him. Let's hope he's not booked. Thanks!

Jody

How did you like your tour?

So disappointed! After all the wonderful comments, I was really hoping for a tour with Bully in May, 2013. But he just emailed that he is taking all of May off for vacation and maintenance of his vehicle. Too bad! But good for him for replying as well as maintaining his vehicle and taking personal time!!

So disappointed! After all the wonderful comments, I was really hoping for a tour with Bully in May, 2013. But he just emailed that he is taking all of May off for vacation and maintenance of his vehicle. Too bad! But good for him for replying as well as maintaining his vehicle and taking personal time!!

Out of curiosity, did he recommend anyone else?

No ArubaLisa, I had specifically asked for a recommendation if he couldn't make it but he said he couldn't recommend anyone else. I have made contact with Ivan though (as someone had said Bully had prevously recommended him) and he is available that day. Strange that Bully wouldn't recommend him??

I am wondering if a tour is necessary in Aruba or if it is easy enough to find these places with a rental Jeep/car?

Does anyone have experience touring on your own in Aruba?

In many port stops throughout the Caribbean I found found organized tours to be the best bet for a first time visit. This way you know what you are seeing and the history behind it, besides the fact that you do not have to worry about getting lost or finding the specific places you wish to go.

It is a bit different for someone who is on a land vacation and has time to explore, and get lost ;). However, during a one day stop on a cruise, it is best to maximize your time and not worry about rental car pick up, drop off, etc. :)

On one of our cruise vacations, we met a couple that got into an accident leaving the car rental lot. Spent their day in port with the police, rental car people, and insurance people. Neither were hurt and they returned to the ship after the accident. Never got more than a 1/2 mile from the boat on that day. :(

There are way too many cars on Aruba, and traffic can be terrible. I've know several people who vacation there every year that have had traffic accidents. That would not be a fun way to spend your day. We vacation there two weeks each year, and prefer to use taxis. Navigating some of the streets downtown is very difficult, and we like to relax and not worry about finding places, or trying to find a parking place (which can be very difficult). Bully is taking some much needed and well deserved time off. If you do a search on this board, you will find several of other tour guides that are highly recommended. If you don't mind sharing the tour, I suggest checking on your role call board to see if anyone has room on their tour.

Edited by Hatteras51