Be wary of online TA!!!

dresch25

I have a wonderful online TA that I trust completely. She has never steared me wrong on anything and has always bent over backwards to help in any way possible.

I think it would be a shame to try and critize all online TA's for the behavior of a few bad apples.

As Toto stated, we have seen these reports here before. Having said that, there are many good online TA's. Another poster has stated they always book direct then transfer it over to a TA. I would not go that route either. As has been stated here many times, there is virtually no reason to book direct. One bad apple & all of that.

I have read this sort of thing before here on CC. What a pity that some TA's do this sort of thing. There should be something you could do, but from previous posts here, I don't think there is. I take it they pulled your FCC's to make the second booking? I know that is what I read happened to the last person in this situation. Makes me wonder if it wasn't the same TA that did it to them?

I wondered the same thing as it wasn't too long ago that we read about this - makes you wonder :D Hope if princess hears about this enough they will have a little 'chat' with the agent:rolleyes:

Another poster has stated they always book direct then transfer it over to a TA. I would not go that route either.

Why not? What is the downside to going that route? You can make a booking in 10 minutes tops on the Princess website...much faster than calling a travel agent and making the booking. What am I missing?

We booked our next cruise direct with Princess and I was able to get the exact cabins I wanted since they know all the available cabins. THEN, I went to cruise compete and received quotes and told them I already had a cruise on hold. I received the quotes and went with a company I am very happy with and transferred the booking. The agent has talked to me several times on the phone and he has been more than willing to answer any questions I have. No extra fees and I am saving $$ over Princess.

I do not know how they could have booked that cruise in your name as the agencies do not receive personal information - only your sign-in name. I thought ************* was secure in that the agency only could read your request and no personal information.

We booked our next cruise direct with Princess and I was able to get the exact cabins I wanted since they know all the available cabins. THEN, I went to cruise compete and received quotes and told them I already had a cruise on hold. I received the quotes and went with a company I am very happy with and transferred the booking. The agent has talked to me several times on the phone and he has been more than willing to answer any questions I have. No extra fees and I am saving $$ over Princess.

I do not know how they could have booked that cruise in your name as the agencies do not receive personal information - only your sign-in name. I thought ************* was secure in that the agency only could read your request and no personal information.

You just mentioned a specific agency. This is a no no.

Why not? What is the downside to going that route? You can make a booking in 10 minutes tops on the Princess website...much faster than calling a travel agent and making the booking. What am I missing?

If you find a good TA their prices are always lower than the cruiseline. Some offer obc of 100 per cabin. Some TA's will watch for a price drop and you can do this too and alert your TA. The TA works with the cruiseline to get you $$ back, obc or an upgrade. I know that if we had not used our TA on our last cruise we would not have ended up in an extended aft after a prince drop and 500.00 obc after another. That is what a great TA can do for you. Our cruise on the CB for next May, so far, we have obc of 250.00. :D :D

If you are booking a last minute cruise - booking with Princess and transfering to an agent is not always possible (as final payment is due almost immediately). At most, you could put a hold with Princess for a day.

The OP is looking at an October cruise. Final payment/penalty may already be in affect for them.

As far as getting quotes - sometimes you can not get an accurate quote from an agent for a Princess cruise unless you give them your Captain Circle number as you may qualify for lower prices with that number. Otherwise, you may not get the best price.

You just mentioned a specific agency. This is a no no.

No, I mentioned the name of the site that we have always been able to mention because it is not an online TA. It is the commonly known site where you request quotes and agencies give you their responses.

I would never name an actual travel agency in a post.

If you find a good TA their prices are always lower than the cruiseline. Some offer obc of 100 per cabin. Some TA's will watch for a price drop and you can do this too and alert your TA. The TA works with the cruiseline to get you $$ back, obc or an upgrade. I know that if we had not used our TA on our last cruise we would not have ended up in an extended aft after a prince drop and 500.00 obc after another. That is what a great TA can do for you. Our cruise on the CB for next May, so far, we have obc of 250.00. :D :D

I think you missed my point. I was questioning what is wrong with:

1) easily and quickly booking a cruise on the Princess website and then later (close to final payment time)

2) transferring the booking to a TA and getting the associated benefits.

The poster said they would not recommend doing that. Why not? What is the downside of doing it? I don't think there is a downside but if there is I'd like to hear it.

No, I mentioned the name of the site that we have always been able to mention because it is not an online TA. It is the commonly known site where you request quotes and agencies give you their responses.

I would never name an actual travel agency in a post.

I believe the CC site is taboo too. If so, you will be notified.

1) easily and quickly booking a cruise on the Princess website and then later (close to final payment time)

The poster said they would not recommend doing that. Why not? What is the downside of doing it? I don't think there is a downside but if there is I'd like to hear it.

There is none. I do it all the time. In fact, that's exactly what you do when you book on board. The res either stays with Princess until you transfer it or if you wish, goes directly to the TA who booked your current cruise.

Yes, I did miss the point. I stand corrected..:D There is no downside.

The only downside is if you book with Princess at the last minute - payment is required right away. It may get messy switching the booking as sometime courtesy holds are only hours after final payment.

The OP is talking about an Oct cruise which is beyond final payment. Not sure when they made the booking but it sounded recent.

As a TA, it really annoys me when I see posts about TA's like the OP's. A TA should never take it upon themselves to put a courtesy hold on a cabin for a client without asking the client.

When we have a client inquire on a cabin, we always ask if they would like us to put a courtesy hold for them, explaining that the cabin cost could go up between the time they inquire and decide to book. We tell them how long the cruise line allow us to hold the cabin with no payment. But we never ever do it without asking the client.

If they advise us to place the hold and we don't hear from the client within 24 hours, we will call the client and let them know the courtesy hold will be expiring on such and such a date if we don't hear from them.

And to the person who posted that their TA took a cabin credit and traveled on the cruise with it - we know several agents that do that and that incenses me as well. Know what you are entitled to when you book a group and make sure you get it. If you have a large group and feel you want the TA to travel with you to assist with things going on on the ship, ask if they will accompany you and let them use on of the credits. We've done this with large groups to keep things running smoothly but and we worked our butts off on the cruise - not a lot of relaxing. But we will only do that if a group requests us to accompany them.

A good TA can save you money and also be an advocate for you if there are problems when you get back or are traveling. There are good, but there are bad. Sometimes you need to remember that the agent that competes with the lowest rock bottom price may not give you the service you deserve. Don't just jump at the lowest price - have a dialogue with the TA to ensure they know what they are doing and are providing you with superb service.

Wow, it seems like we must be blessed with the TA we use. We have never been able to even come close to getting a good price booking direct with Princess. Our TA always beats the Princess price by several hundred and throws in extra perks. So far...so good. Most of our cruise buddies from all over the place have changed to use our TA. I hope he never quits. By the way...his company has an ad here on CC.

They couldn't have booked the cruise for you unless you gave them a credit card number. Why would you do this if you were just looking ? I don't give my info out until I am ready to book !

To those who have mentioned booking with Princess first than transferring to a TA, my question is why? Your highest price is always going to be with Princess ! Princess is one of those last cruise lines that you can get a lower price with outside sources. What is the reason that someone would book with Princess than transfer to a TA ? I am seriously asking this, is there something I don't know?

They couldn't have booked the cruise for you unless you gave them a credit card number. Why would you do this if you were just looking ? I don't give my info out until I am ready to book !

They can book a cruise if you have a Future Cruise Deposit ($100 deposit) on file with Princess. If you want an accurate quote, you need to give them your Capt Circle number or else they can't quote all the specials that you qualify for. This deposit doesn't require a credit card.

To those who have mentioned booking with Princess first than transferring to a TA, my question is why? Your highest price is always going to be with Princess ! Princess is one of those last cruise lines that you can get a lower price with outside sources. What is the reason that someone would book with Princess than transfer to a TA ? I am seriously asking this, is there something I don't know?

I often book with Princess and transfer to a TA. I do it for a number of reasons. One is that I value my TA's time - I book a lot of cruises and only follow through on half of them. Why waste my agent's time on a booking that I know there is a good chance I am going to cancel. If I plan to keep the booking - I transfer it to my agent.

Another reason I book with Princess directly - the day Alaska sailings opened up this year, my agent was on vacation. I booked it and then if I decided to go - I transfer it to her and get my savings.

There are other reasons but these are my main reasons. I always end up with my agent discounting the cruise in the end.

I had a similar experience asking for a quote from an on-line TA and asking if a particular cabin was available. I found that the TA put a courtesy hold on the cabin, preventing me from booking with a TA that might have been lower, until the hold was released. From now on, I'll just ask for the price of a specific category without mentioning a specific cabin....then it cannot be held.

This is slightly off topic but may be of interest: I've booked two cabins side by side on the Caribe deck for our January cruise. I've now found out that mine is locked in and Mom and sister next door can get upgraded even though they were both requested with no upgrades. I would'nt mind getting upgraded to a mini suite which is only 2 feet short in balcony space. Can Princess upgrade to a different category in a regular balcony on another deck or would the upgrade be for a mini suite. I'll only take the upgrade if its to a mini otherwise I'll have them both locked in. Any suggestions? BTW: This TA gave us a substantial amount in OBC's.

All this time, I thought you were a TA ;)

This is slightly off topic but may be of interest: I've booked two cabins side by side on the Caribe deck for our January cruise. I've now found out that mine is locked in and Mom and sister next door can get upgraded even though they were both requested with no upgrades. I would'nt mind getting upgraded to a mini suite which is only 2 feet short in balcony space. Can Princess upgrade to a different category in a regular balcony on another deck or would the upgrade be for a mini suite. I'll only take the upgrade if its to a mini otherwise I'll have them both locked in. Any suggestions? BTW: This TA gave us a substantial amount in OBC's.

The answer is Yes. If you're in a BC, then an upgrade can be a BB. A BB, means an upgrade is a BA. Do not think you're going to get a mini. The only upgrade that guarantees you a better cabin would be from a BA. Stay where you are and be happy with your side by sides.

Pia

I should have mentioned, we're in a BA - midship and I really like the location, so I'm wondering if the upgrade would be to a lower category in a mini.

The answer is Yes. If you're in a BC, then an upgrade can be a BB. A BB, means an upgrade is a BA. Do not think you're going to get a mini. The only upgrade that guarantees you a better cabin would be from a BA. Stay where you are and be happy with your side by sides.

Pia

Archived