door decorations

h2odad

We were wondering if "door decorations" are ever seen on the Paul

Gaugain?

We put a small garden flag of a cat looking out of a screen door on our May 19th cruise on the PG. The doors are metal so we hung it with very small, but very strong, magnets.

We were on the 3rd deck.

I didn't notice any other decorated doors 'tho.

We also went to a local Party City store before we left an got flower leis. We wore them on the ship, since the ones from the airport had wilted a bit, and several folks commented on how nice they were and that they didn't get that kind at the airport. :)

Have fun!

Caroline

159983778-Ti-1.jpg.6fd418340975d6ce360a48d58885700f.jpg

Most of our Regent cruises have had a large number of

people who had booked through the same TA or have planned to

meet after being here on Cruise Critic, or LCT.

A lot of the cruises have been given Acronyms.

Then a talented person makes up something to identify everyone's cabins

and you can put it on your door.

Just something that makes the cruise that much more special.

why do people decorate their doors? Is it to find your cabin?

That's why we have in the past, especialy on the larger ships. We could understand that this may not be necessary on the PG.

We had one of these on PIP, which was one of the acronymed cruises with a large group. It was kind of cute, but I felt bad because some of the other cruisers felt left out! We did not actually use those signs for anything, since we had a list of cabin numbers and would phone someone rather than knocking on their door. Nice keepsake though.

On the Voyager World Cruiser it's not uncommon to see doors decorated. Besides the name plaque on the door some people would decorate for birthdays, Valentines Day, St. Patty's Day, Easter or whatever. It really is just all in fun. If you attended the arts and crafts classes you would often make colorful things like that.

• 2 weeks later...

mickeyfitz, I agree 100%. I've lived most of my life in Manhattan apartment buildings and the only door decorations that seem appropriate to me are Christmas wreaths, Thanksgiving bunches of dried corn, and (very occasionally -- and temporarily) some child's artwork.

Particularly on a ship, I would worry about fires. If there are many paper based door decorations, a fire could spread through a corridor very fast! In fact I am surprised that cruise lines allow any such decorations.

Yeh, I agree. We tolerated the practice in 2005 on the PG, but received another laminated sign last year on an acronymn-ed cruise on Navigator. I just didn't hang it up. I'm about to become an apartment dweller after living in closely-packed downtown houses for 35 years. I've always thought the apartment thingys were pretty tacky myself, but will wait and judge after I've lived in one for a while.

I can completely imagine them on the World Cruise, on the other hand.

Certainly nothing tacky about the Brass door signs on the world cruise. They're engraved with the names of the occupants (John and Jane Doe) and above the names it says "Seven Seas Voyager 2007 World Cruise". I think they're very classy and it helps getting to know all your neighbors around you. If you forget someone's name you just look at their door.

editing to add one more thing: if you're on shorter cruises (unless it's Christmas or a major holiday) you're not very apt to ever put any decoration on your door IMO. If you're on for 4 months at a time though, you really treat your cabin much more like it is your home. If you normally put an Easter Bunny on your porch (using that as an example) you may be more inclined to decorate for holidays , special days or a theme for the destination you may be in. That is why it is much more common on the W.C.

Archived