Does Princess have Sushi???

DanceJuani

Yes -- on the Tahitian Princess, they had a lunch buffet themed on Asian cuisine, and had a section devoted to sushi. The downside, though, was that it looked and tasted a little old, and the soy sauce was a little odd (not quite the right color or consistency). They didn't have any raw fish sushi (which was actually a relief, because the sushi buffet was about a week into our cruise, and I wouldn't have trusted any raw fish to have been safe), just California rolls and shrimp sashimi. I say all this to forewarn you, since it sounds like you actually know what sushi is supposed to taste like...

They served it once in the Cafe Caribe for lunch. It was also available in the wine bar for a fee, of course. If you really like sushi, this is a poor substitute. The fish was all cooked. Don't expect fresh tuna and yellowtail.

Sushi was served during lunch on our last sea day on the Crown and was as good as what we get at home. I'm hoping they have it again on our upcoming cruise in January. You can purchase it in the International Cafe for a nominal charge.quote=stoneharborlady;11298036]Saw sushi in Caribe Cafe, at dinner one night.

We just got off the Grand and there was sushi (along with other Asian dishes) one day at the buffet. It was okay, but not fabulous, while some of the other dishes were very good. My real complaint that was that they used regular rice and not sushi rice - that makes a big difference in the flavor.

The sushi we had last year on the Pacific Princes was over-the top fabulous though, so it really depends upon the ship.

Charlie

Yes we had a Sushi buffet on the pool deck about noonish on the Diamond Princess the second day at sea BUT it wasn't good at all. They don't use the proper sushi rice and they used alot of rice and had sparse fillings. Supermarket sushi is better then what was served. We really really enjoyed the food on the Diamond and the sushi was the only thing we did not like.

We were soo looking forward to it (alright already I had *abit* of a hangover and sushi has always been my hangover comfort food) and were disappointed.....That said, here in BC we have good sushi restaurants everywhere.

Had a buffet one afternoon near the pizza station on the pool deck. All cooked, too much rice.

Occasionally popped up at Horizon court.

Only worthwhile item was halibut wrapped around smoked salmon. Not quite sashimi, but the best available.

The Vines cafes in the Piazza's of the Crown, Emerald, and the upcoming Ruby Princess are the place to go for really good sushi on Princess. They offer the real thing served on a bed of nice seaweed/kelp salads. Very very nice for only $3 and extra pieces $1 each. On the other ships when they prepare it for the buffet it really isn't real sushi and I always skip that.

Archived