I'm back...review of Pacific Sun

relate2

Hi Robert, thanks for taking the time to give your review.

hope you feel better real soon.

I am sorry you had an ordinary time in Ouvea,:( each time we have been there, it was beautiful.

looking forward to reading your next instalment.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi Robert, glad to hear you're on the mend from your flu.

Loving your review too :)

I'm just picturing you tied to the dinghy and getting carried away LOL! Good thing you heard that chain ;)

Looking forward to the next installment :D

By the way that sunset photo is AMAZING!!! So beautiful!

Please share some more :)

Yes it was a shame about Ovea, the water was very cold and the green moss in the water was very unnerving and it stuck to your legs and arms.

Until the next review tomorrow here are some of my favourite photos to share with you.

84564528large.jpg

Pano of back of ship

medium.jpg

Rear pool at sunset

large.jpg

Guard rail and approaching storm.

medium.jpg

A relaxed Robert. :)

medium.jpg

A romantic sunset Numea

Fantastic photos, and great review! Can't wait for my cruise, reading all about your experiences as a first time cruiser is giving me a taste of what I hope my cruise will be like. Love the photo of the pool at the back of the Sun, what a great place to laze the day away.

Hanging out for your next installment :)

loving the panoramas! what camera did you use?

PS-I know what you mean about the flu...I had it about 2 years ago and now when someone has a "cough and a sniffle" and they are moaning that they have "the flu" I laugh to myself.....you can't move when you have the flu and don't even have enough energy to moan! ugh it was awful....glad you're getting over it.

shorts are not allowed in the dining room at any time, even for breakfast or afternoon tea.

A good and interesting report Robert [like the photos], though I find the above statement a bit curious.

There is nothing to suggest that in either the conditions of contract or in the dress standards described in the P&O online cruise guide.

After 5.30 p.m. - Yes, but not breakfast and lunch.

Thanks you for your kind comments regarding my photos, it is a hobby of mine which I really enjoy.

Carlz the camera doesn't make much difference for the pano but for your information I was using a Sony H9. The trick is to either use a tripod or make sure that you overlap your photos by at least 30%. I use a free program called Autostich from www.autostitch.net which is very basic but does a pretty good job.

You are so right when people complain about a cough and a sniffle, they have no idea.

DennisN I may be mistaken with Breakfast but I was refused entry at one afternoon tea at 3pm because I was in shorts. I will say though by the time I went back to my room and changed they had started letting people into the dining room with shorts on.

Well today I woke early to get on the tender for Mystery Island. It suprised me the amount of shopping available for an island that no one lives on. There were stalls set up by the locals. There would have been about 50 metres or more of trinkets and clothes available.

I liked Mystery island, the water was warm and there was coral and fish to be seen when snorkeling. Although people do not be fooled into believing that it even comes close to the Great Barrier Reef as it doesn't. It is OK but not great.

I bought an underwater camera to take some photos of the fish, unfortunately I used the flash and with the wrong film speed loaded by the manufacturers, the camera had 800 ASA instead of the intended 400 ASA all of my underwater shots ended up blown out. Never mind I did get some good photos above the water.

Again I had a good float on my lilo and I must say I did cause a bit of a stir. I am sure everyone was pointing at me because they were jealous and wished they had thought of it and brought their own.:) That's my story anyway and isn't it good when you get to the age where you do don't worry about what people think and just enjoy was pleases you regardless of fuddy duddies who sit on the beach tut tutting and being utter bores. :)

I was really blessed on this cruise as only having one day of rain and 9 days of sunny weather. I really feel sorry for the people who sailed out of Sydney the day I got back as they were sailing into 3 days of 10-15 metre swells. personally though I would not have minded a day or so of rough weather just to experience the fun of it. I know, I know, I don't get sea sick, but for people who get sick it would not be good at all.

I will relay this story about Mystery island, it was the scuttle butt around the ship when we got to Isle of Pines and why ruin a good story with the truth. :D

The story went around that 6 people had missed the last tender off Mystery island and as such had to catch a plane from Mystery Island, there was an airstrip put in during WW2 by the Americans. It cost them each $1,000 for the flight and then had to pay for a nights accommodation at a resort on Isle of Pines at $400.00 per night. An expensive episode, so make sure you don't miss the last tender at any of the islands.

Next day was the Isle of pines and will combine that and the trip back home in my last review.

great story Robert ! I hope I can complain that we didn't experience any rough seas when we get back next week :cool: I hope I've wasted all my money on all these sea sickness remedies / preventatives etc for each orrifice ! :eek:

cheers

Vanessa

DennisN I may be mistaken with Breakfast but I was refused entry at one afternoon tea at 3pm because I was in shorts. I will say though by the time I went back to my room and changed they had started letting people into the dining room with shorts on.

Aha !!! theres your problem.

It was probably another passenger dressed as a steward who wanted to get to the scones, jam and cream before you. ;) :D

Great trip report - keep on going with it:) .

Hi Robert,

Nice to hear that you are feeling better now. Great review and super stunning photos. I hope you don't mind me grabbing on (sunset) and use it as my desktop wallpaper. It's just so beautiful.

Btw, who was your waiter?

Angel

icemaiden2310 yes the stories do add spice to the trip. Another story floating around the boat after Numea was about a couple sent home after being caught having carnal knowledge of each other, in the sauna. Did you like the way I politely expressed that they were having a bonk? :)

Vanessa, Wow 3 days till you sail, fantastic. I remember my countdown getting down to 3 sleeps, it is a very exciting time, enjoy your trip and if you even slightly suffer sea sickness take the tablets for the first couple of days just to make sure.

Smooth sailing, happy times and don't forget to give us a review when you get back. :)

Another story floating around the boat after Numea was about a couple sent home after being caught having carnal knowledge of each other, in the sauna. Did you like the way I politely expressed that they were having a bonk? :)

I loved the way you phrased that Robert!! Have to be careful next time I'm in the sauna:eek: where is the bloody sauna anyway??? Some one must have sprung em and dobbed em in, party poopers:D

Note to self: Keep Geri away from the sauna!!

Chez

xx

Thanks ADF for your kind remarks re my photos. Here are a couple more

large.jpg

Pano of Mystery Island

84564608.jpg

Sea sunset

84680992.jpg

Two beautiful women from my dining table, Jodi and Margaret, great fun to be with. I just loved the atmosphere of this photo, with the sun shinning on the ocean in the background.

Chez, the sauna apparently is at the back of the ship near where the women went for their pampering treatments of pedicures etc.

Gorgeous shot of Mystery Island, I have been raving on about Mystery Island to my DH for ages and can't wait to go back. He is enjoying your photos and now has some idea of what I have been trying to convey. Looking forward to seeing what you think of Isle of Pines.

Hi everyone,

I know why P&O save Isle of Pines for last as it is the best of all of the islands. Even though it was windy and sprinkling rain on our visit the snorkeling and general look of the island was very good.

They suggest that you snorkel around "The Rock" which I did even in the wind and rain. Unfortunately I found out that night that friends at my table had walked a bit further around the road and found a really sheltered bay where they snorkeled for 3 hours completely protected from the wind. So if it is a bit windy when you get there explore the island a bit more to find a sheltered spot.

Even through the rain and wind the fish and coral was the best of all the islands and well worth a swim around especially if it is sunny.

Well my last two days at sea on the way home were very nice. I mentioned in a different thread about signing up for "The perfect match game" I was talking to a tablemate and suggesting to her that she step outside her comfort zone and try something different. Well I decided to take my own advice and signed up for the perfect match game myself.

I tell you it was an interesting experience, but hey you are on holidays and it is the perfect place to try new things. I will say though I was suprised at what some women will say in front of an audience. Contestant no. 2 when asked what would she like to do on her perfect date. Well after saying the usual like a nice dinner, a walk along the beach she finished with saying and a good bonk!!!!! Not something I would say (out loud at least) in front of 2 or 300 of my new best friends.

The prize was front row seats for the final show of the cruise and a bottle of champagne and desert which was nice. The lady who was my date was good company and we enjoyed the show and went our separate ways after the show.

We had a little bit of rough weather on our last night, not too rough just enough to roll the ship a bit. I ended up catching the flu on board, luckily only on the last night. As I stated earlier though it certainly came on with a vengeance 3 days after I got home. It is still hanging around and I have to take things easy as I still don't feel 100%

I hope you have all enjoyed my review of the cruise and if there is anyone out there thinking of taking a cruising holiday I wholeheartedly recommend it as a holiday that can be as relaxing as you want to make it or as busy as you want to make it.

The luxury of being fed, watered, looked after and pampered is just the best.

Have fun people and I might catch you on my next cruise, I will be the one with a smile on my face from ear to ear soaking up the relaxing atmosphere, taking photos of the sunsets. :D

Archived