How to avoid getting sick before/on a cruise?

happy cruzer

My DH seems to always get a cold either on the plane or on the ship. I remember reading some advice on how to avoid this but of course now I can't find it.

Any suggestions??

I know what to do for motion sickness for me ( bands, ginger, and bonine, all work for me). But I don't catch too many colds, not even his. And he doesn't get motion sickness, go figure.

I would appreciate the help.

First tip ... wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

Second tip ... try something called "ColdFX". This is a product that has been available in Canada for years, and is now in the big US drugstores. It's an herbal product that you take after you have been exposed to a bug (or to prevent). You take three capsules three times a day for the first day, then two three times a day for the second day, etc. You can take a "maintenance" dose every day to keep colds away.

My family in Canada uses this all the time with good results. Mom brought me a bottle last December and I've had to take the capsules about three times since then, and have avoided wicked colds that went around the office. The only time I wished I had it was on our last cruise - everyone was hackiing & coughing for most of the sailing and I was very sick when I got home. This time I'm packing the ColdFX. (No, I don't work for them or own stock in their company! :D)

Some members of my family swear by a product called Airborne. I believe it's a big tablet and it dissolves in water. They take it just before boarding a plane to ward off those recirculating airborn germs. I've never taken it.

My suggestion is to stop being so concerned about catching something or you will. If you go prepared with some packets of cold meds and nasal spray, etc., you will probably not need any of it but it will be handy if it happens. Same goes for the seasickness remedies. Go and Enjoy!

Ditto on Airborne. I usually take it for a few days before I leave. I also be careful what I touch on the ship, railings, door handles, etc. Been on 9 cruises and I think being careful has helped me to stay healthy!

As for seasickness, I bring bonine or dramamine, but rarely have to take it.

Have a great trip!

Have taken 30+ cruises over past 20 years. Use to get a cold generally after cruising years ago. Decided possibly the "air conditioning" in the cabin maybe the problem for us. Can't turn it off at night, so decided to turn the setting to the lowest setting for heat, so we are not sleeping under the forced "cold" air at night in our cabin. Have done this for years, no longer get colds following a cruise. Try it, see if it helps you.

I also take cold medication, just in case. If I have any symptoms, take over the counter medication.

We also wash our hands often, generally use our cabin restroom vs public restrooms on the ships.

For the most part we stay healthy -- happy healthy cruising. :) :)

I agree with all that has been suggested...but sometimes one gets very sick before the ship sails. Like me...

A few years ago, a client with the flu and a high temp, came into our salon for a haircut several days before my cruise. I could feel the heat coming off her head. Now mind you we were leaving for Port Canaveral on Friday, a day early for our cruise. By Tuesday I was so sick and Wed. I really could hardly drag out of the bed to go to the bathroom. I went to the doctor because I was also coughing so she gave me a cough syrup with codene, which I had enough through Sunday. Let me say I floated until Monday...I was so drunk feeling from the syurp. That was one cruise that I almost slept through.

Missygirl

I start taking airborne a few days before the cruise--one or two a day. I also suck zinc tablets (foul tasting as they are) whenever I think about it. So far, I have avoided the colds that I routinely got whenever I cruised. I thought it came from the airplane rather than the ship, though, so once on the ship, I didn't take them until a couple of days before returning home.

When we took our European River cruise, I went through the same routine. Only, once on the boat, I did not take the airborne. It's a very small boat. Doh. Sure enough, I got sick the last two days of the cruise (it was a 15 day one) and could hardly enjoy our last couple of days in Prague from the misery.

Now I take airborne throughout the trip. I also have something called "invisible armor" which is like a water proof anti-bacterial hand cream supposably good for up to four hours. I slather that on whenever I wash my hands in the cabin.

We were on a 19 day trans-Atlantic cruise and I didn't get sick.

Tucker in Texas

I think I will get DH to try the Airborne. He just seems to catch every cold that anyone one around him has. He washes his hands very often and takes his vitamin C. So next step is to try the Airborne or the Cold FX.

And yep we know what meds to take after he has the cold. We've had to buy them in port a few times, now we are sure to bring them with us.

Get plenty of rest and drink a lot of fluids, it's great advice for every day not just when you have a cold or the flu. A lot of people are so excited they wear themselves out before leaving, don't sleep well a few nights prior, which leaves them run down and more susceptible to illness.

Also, when flying, coat the inside of your nostrils with a barrier such as petroleum jelly, Vick's, sometimes we use Vicam. It's been proven that coating your nostrils will keep virus germs from attaching to those mucous membranes. Zinc has also been shown to cut the severity and duration of a cold.

Mega vitamins and herbs are fine, they probably don't do as much as what people may think they do, but unless you are allergic or overdose on them, most won't hurt you. Don't for a minute think that using these products will protect you, though. I don't care how many second grade teachers have testified.

Washing your hands before eating, keeping your fingers out of your nose, mouth and eyes is recommended. You can take a small bottle of hand sanitizer and clean your tray table, it might look a bit OCD, but I don't happen to care what a stranger may think of me.

Ditto on the Airborne......BUT the trick to ward off a cold is to take it way before you have the full blown symptoms and take it several times a day as directed. I have headed off several nasty colds this way.

We also take it as a precaution several days before we board the ship or before we fly.....so far it has worked like a charm.

Happy Sailing....

Dianne

I use a product made in France by BOIRON it's called 'Oscilloccinum'.

It's sold in health food stores and it is to ward of the Flu but I use it when I am going to be around a large number of people. I take it before a flight and then once as I'm boarding the ship and then periodically throughout the cruise.

I also use those 'Clorox' wipes and wipe down my whole area on the plane, I wipe down the hotel room and as Happy KS said I wipe down tables too, I wash my hands all the time. I also argee with Happy KS about not getting run down. The Vick's thing I saw on a show about traveling by air. I'm going to try that one next flight as well as my normal procedures. I also believe in daily vitamins and eating healthy. If someone is sneezing and coughing I go the other way and if I can't I hold my breath until I have past the "spray zone" :eek:

Am putting this out there for anyone who might be interested. I just put down a nutrition magazine I read often and The Executive Dir. of the Center for Science in the Public Interest said that Airborne is considered a phony cold preventative and now has a private lawsuit named against it.

Apparently it is quite easy to start your own supplement company and the internet is crawling with those that will sell you just about any formulation you could think of or want. No one is watching, so don't worry about getting caught....it's quite unregulated.

I'm one of those people that thinks if you believe something works for you....it probably will.

We're big fans of Cold FX. We take 1/day starting about 1-2 weeks before and during any vacation in the cold/flu season. We've been using it since it first came out a few years ago and it hasn't failed us yet.

airborne. i used to have the same problem. i take it the day of the trip, sometimes the night before to let it get built up in my system. i also pack nasal spray. it burns a little, and taste awful if it goes down your throat, but on a packed plane, its better than blowing your eyeballs out into a hanky and annoying other passenger. i dont hardly use it at home, but i just bought a bottle today for my trip. also, i have to agree with others in saying, wash your hands. alot. i always carry it with me and bought 2 3oz. bottles for my quart size carryon. ive heard that taking a supplement like echianea (sorry, dont know how to spell that, but thats how it sounds) before a trip boosts your immune system. and orange juice is good for it too.

hand washing..with soap and water. Don't touch "common" items after (like the towel dispenser handle), (door handles). Wash to the tune of 'Happy Birthday"..the length is about right, pre-dispense a towel to use to cover the water shut-off and towel dispenser handle and plan how to open public bathroom door (another towel, cover your hand with your long sleeve/other clothing). And most importantly, don't touch your face anywhere unless you have 'just washed' hands. eat properly, keep hydrated, saline nasal spray for dry air (like airplanes), add herbals if you like, pray, whatever. Colds still happen, but with less frequency. And be considerate of your fellow humans, use tissue and dispose of it without touching 'public' surfaces, use hand sanitizer (alcohol base..not a 'anti-bacterial' (colds and flu are not bacteria), use whatever product that keeps you from coughing, sneezing, dripping in public and TRY not to touch any public surface (elevator button, hand rail, door knob, etc) unless you've just sanitized.

Get plenty of rest, get exercise at least twice a day, drink lots of water, wash your hands with warm water and soap for 20 seconds many times a day and use Airborne before and during travel. Zicam works well after you have a cold.

My DH seems to always get a cold either on the plane or on the ship. I remember reading some advice on how to avoid this but of course now I can't find it.

Any suggestions??

I know what to do for motion sickness for me ( bands, ginger, and bonine, all work for me). But I don't catch too many colds, not even his. And he doesn't get motion sickness, go figure.

I would appreciate the help.

I haven't read every post here, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned...but along with bringing some cold medications with you, bring Zicam. You start using it AS SOON as you feel the cold coming on (the fatigue, heavy head, congestion, etc..) There are several varieties...lozenges, sprays, etc.. but we use the nasal swabs. The gel goes straight into your nose (which is where the cold virus lives). It is a zinc homeopathic remedy. Use every 4 hours and it will keep the cold from getting very severe and ruining your cruise (I use this a lot during cold season so I'm not missing days of work and it is one product I really SWEAR by). Also drink plenty of fluids and take your vitamins when you feel it coming on. Get plenty of rest BEFORE the cruise. I make the mistake of running around everywhere and then my immune system is weak by the time we get on the plane!:o

I get a flu shot every year. In Canada usually available in Oct.

I take vit C (500 mg)and a multi vit every day. Have not been sick with a cold or flu on cruise. The only thing I have had is a bad MS day which is not contagust (sp) to anyone.

Am putting this out there for anyone who might be interested. I just put down a nutrition magazine I read often and The Executive Dir. of the Center for Science in the Public Interest said that Airborne is considered a phony cold preventative and now has a private lawsuit named against it.

Apparently it is quite easy to start your own supplement company and the internet is crawling with those that will sell you just about any formulation you could think of or want. No one is watching, so don't worry about getting caught....it's quite unregulated.

I'm one of those people that thinks if you believe something works for you....it probably will.

I haven't read about the lawsuit, but I've read plenty of articles that studies have been done and products such as this don't work. But, the public wants to believe it, so they just do.

My feeling is that if many years of study and research done by trained scientists has not produced a product with valid results, how is it that a 2nd grade teacher can suddenly produce a product that prevents a cold from happening :confused: It just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Overloading the system with many vitamins doesn't always cause harm, if the vitamins are water soluble, you just pee them out in a few hours. If they aren't water soluble, you can do some harm to your liver and kidneys. With herbs, minerals and vitamins, I think you have to be careful of what you are taking, know what you are putting into your system. We had a woman client coming into a place I was working who had to get a liver transplant, from overdosing herself on over-the-counter vitamins and minerals.

I don't know about "building up your system". I think plenty of sleep, exercise and a healthy diet does more than any multi-vitamin can ever hope to do. My doctor has told me that any dietary needs I have are better met through food, but that regular use of a multi-vitamin will fill in the gaps of anything I might be missing.

I haven't read every post here, so I hope this hasn't been mentioned...but along with bringing some cold medications with you, bring Zicam. You start using it AS SOON as you feel the cold coming on (the fatigue, heavy head, congestion, etc..) There are several varieties...lozenges, sprays, etc.. but we use the nasal swabs. The gel goes straight into your nose (which is where the cold virus lives). It is a zinc homeopathic remedy. Use every 4 hours and it will keep the cold from getting very severe and ruining your cruise (I use this a lot during cold season so I'm not missing days of work and it is one product I really SWEAR by). Also drink plenty of fluids and take your vitamins when you feel it coming on. Get plenty of rest BEFORE the cruise. I make the mistake of running around everywhere and then my immune system is weak by the time we get on the plane!:o

I completely agree with the Zicam advice. I also use the nasal swabs, I think they work best. If diligent handwashing isn't enough and you still manage to get a cold, the minute you start feeling that dragged down feeling and nasal stuffiness and sore throat that signals a cold, start the Zicam every four hours or so. A pharmacist suggested it to me because my husband takes some meds that can interact with some OTC cold meds. I swear by it. In fact, I always keep a few swabs in my purse so wherever I am, if I feel the cold coming on, I start the gel swabs. When I leave on vacation, I always bring a whole box of them with me. You will still get the cold, but it cuts the severity and duration significantly.

When it comes to vitamins and how they can affect the body, I agree with Happy KS. A good multi-vitamin is very useful unless you are trying to address certain health issues, but everyone needs to be very well-informed about vitamins when we decide to ingest them. Too much of some can be toxic to the system, so research, research, research, those that you are interested in using. There were years of study regarding Vit. E and everyone hopped on the bandwagon to use it....now they are saying it's not doing what they thought it would.

I have used zinc tablets in the past and they have helped a sore throat, but my experience with them is that they will keep you awake at night if taken too late in the day. Therefore, I don't use them after 3 p.m. A lot of cold formulas will do the same thing because they contain large quantities of guaifenisin. (sp.)?

Wash to the tune of 'Happy Birthday"..the length is about right,

This beats me going "one Mississippi, two Mississippi, etc." (lol). Reminds me of how I taught my little ones their phone number (before area codes had to routinely be used). Sing them to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star--just those words. My 33 year old can still remember our phone number from where we lived and moved from when he was six.

Tucker in Texas

I don't do any of the silly things described on this thread except to wash my hands occasionally but not every time I touch anything, have been on cruises to many places including harsh climates such as Antartica, and have never had one second of illness.

My point is that using a useless placebo or product or performing actions that claim to ward off illness can't do you any harm and may make you feel psycologically (sp??) better but it will not actually prevent any real illness.

Your argument that you performed these actions and did not get sick is meaningless. It does not show cause and effect.

Remember that healers in primitive tribes would "cure" illnesses by using chicken bones. The people they treated were happy because they believed that they worked and in some instances, they did work because of this belief.

There is no difference (besides washing) between what you are doing and chicken bones.

DON

Archived