New York hotel near port

thechandlers99

We will be cruising out of New York for the first time in June. We have been to NYC many times and usually stay at the Renaissance at Times Square. However, we are just looking a less expensive place to stay the night before the cruise. Does anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced, nice hotels near the port? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, how close is the port to Times Square?

We will be cruising out of New York for the first time in June. We have been to NYC many times and usually stay at the Renaissance at Times Square. However, we are just looking a less expensive place to stay the night before the cruise. Does anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced, nice hotels near the port? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I wouldn't stay by the port assuming you are asking about the Manhattan pier and not the Brooklyn one.

If Hotwire and Priceline don't work for you, try The Apple Core Hotels and The Empire Group. Both have reasonable hotels in Midtown.

The port is very close to Times Square. About a $5 cab ride away.

Without any discounts or promo codes, for 2 adults on June 3, the Renaissance starts at $549 vs. the Affinia Gardens at $369. These rates are directly from their sites. The $369 Affinia rate is non-refundable, but scrolling to Affinia Best Available Rate gives you fully refundable rates at $409, both for Affinia's Junior Suite versus the Renaissance standard room.

IMHO, nothing in Manhattan is far from the terminal, as everything's just a taxi ride away. We prefer the more quiet ambience of an area away from Times Square.

If you'd like to stay in a neighborhood, visit Central Park, a museum and shop at Bloomingdales, etc., perhaps the Affinia Gardens may appeal to you. You'll get an entirely different feel from Times Square. Doesn't hurt to check out the site:

https://reservations.synxis.com/lbe/rez.aspx?chain=5158&arrive=6/3/2008&Adult=2&Child=0&Nights=1&Hotel=10148&Dest=NYC&lang=1&step=2&fbar=1&promo=

Here's another link that may or may not be totally updated, but may still help some:

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=new-york

The Affinia is on E. 64th St. between 2nd and 3rd Avenues.

Good luck. ;)

Thanks for your responses. We will be on Princess so we will be cruising out of Brooklyn...which is why we don't know the area. If we choose to stay in Times Square or even Central Park, how far of a drive is it to the Brooklyn pier?

30 minutes or so depending on traffic...about 5 miles

There is a Holiday Inn on 57th between 10th and 11th, I believe that is the closest to the Pier

The Brooklyn Pier is about 45 mins by cab from Times Square

Thanks for your responses. We will be on Princess so we will be cruising out of Brooklyn...which is why we don't know the area. If we choose to stay in Times Square or even Central Park, how far of a drive is it to the Brooklyn pier?

The Brooklyn Pier is about 45 mins by cab from Times Square

Maybe the way you drive but I do it all the time in 20 minutes. To the west side down to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and take the first exit.No Traffic 20 minutes(I said 30 because they also said CP South) ....

It takes me 45 minutes from Brooklyn to get to CT....

BTW the Holiday Inn isn't the closest to the Pier of you are leaving from Brooklyn

We stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott two weeks ago for $239/night. Excellent hotel, very clean, close to subway and close to the port. It's about a 5-10 min drive to port unless traffic congestion at the port slows you down, we sat in traffic for over 30mins. Take a car service for $15 bucks flat rate instead of a taxi meter ticking in traffic.

Sorry, assumed you were leaving from Manhattan.

If I was leaving from Red Hook, I'd stay in Brooklyn. These would be my choices:

http://www.hotellebleu.com

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycbk-new-york-marriott-at-the-brooklyn-bridge/

Good luck.

the Hotel Le Bleu hasn't opened yet. It has a rooftop bar that I am waiting to try....

Again, thanks for all your responses. I looked at Hotel Bleu and it looks great and has good rates.

Quick question -- Exactly where is Brooklyn? Is it north or south of Central Park? What streets make its border?

LOl brooklyn is the most populous of the New York City boros. Therea re five Manhattan(New York County) Brooklyn, Queens the Bronx and Staten Island too. Brooklyn Is South East of Central park and all of Manhattan below 42nd street. Hotel Le Blue is 4th Avenue and 1 street I think...right by the R and N subway. 20 minutes to times Square by the N....longer by the R. Look at a map of NYC. Here is one

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

LOl brooklyn is the most populous of the New York City boros. Therea re five Manhattan(New York County) Brooklyn, Queens the Bronx and Staten Island too. Brooklyn Is South East of Central park and all of Manhattan below 42nd street. Hotel Le Blue is 4th Avenue and 1 street I think...right by the R and N subway. 20 minutes to times Square by the N....longer by the R. Look at a map of NYC. Here is one

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Thanks! Very helpful!

the Hotel Le Bleu hasn't opened yet. It has a rooftop bar that I am waiting to try....

Oh, thanks, Sid. Thought it had opened already. I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

Have one for me, ok?

p.s. Just looked at the availability calendar on their site and September 10 looks like the first open date.

Oh, thanks, Sid. Thought it had opened already. I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

Have one for me, ok?

p.s. Just looked at the availability calendar on their site and September 10 looks like the first open date.

If I have more than that I'll have to walk home(I live close enough to)

And exactly when is there no traffic from Times Square to Brooklyn? If there is any traffic, it can take 15 mins to get to the West Side Highway, 10 mins to get to West Street, and another 10 mins to get to Red Hook. Not to mention if the West St. S access is closed down.... I frequently take late night car service from my office in Madison Square park, and at those hours it takes 15-20 mins to get to the BBT via the FDR.

Maybe the way you drive but I do it all the time in 20 minutes. To the west side down to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and take the first exit.No Traffic 20 minutes(I said 30 because they also said CP South) ....

It takes me 45 minutes from Brooklyn to get to CT....

BTW the Holiday Inn isn't the closest to the Pier of you are leaving from Brooklyn

And exactly when is there no traffic from Times Square to Brooklyn? If there is any traffic, it can take 15 mins to get to the West Side Highway, 10 mins to get to West Street, and another 10 mins to get to Red Hook. Not to mention if the West St. S access is closed down.... I frequently take late night car service from my office in Madison Square park, and at those hours it takes 15-20 mins to get to the BBT via the FDR.

Most of the time once you get to the West side there is no traffic holdups. The exception is during the rush hours, but most of the day between 10-4 traffic moves freely. Its true until you get to the west side you may have a delay but that is the way life is.\ and most times people traveling to the cruise terminal is not during peak traffic times. The BBT is rarely back up itself too many free alternatives. If you are going to the BBT from the FDR try the Brooklyn Bridge way...

To thechandlers99- What airport are you flying into? If it is LaGuardia or JFK stay at one of the airport hotels with free transportation and the next day of your cruise, have the hotel call a car service that they use or a taxi. That is what we are doing at the end of Sept. check out tripadvisor.com to select your hotel.:)

To thechandlers99- What airport are you flying into? If it is LaGuardia or JFK stay at one of the airport hotels with free transportation and the next day of your cruise, have the hotel call a car service that they use or a taxi. That is what we are doing at the end of Sept. check out tripadvisor.com to select your hotel.:)

The only place they have free transport is to and from the Airport. The Marriott at LGA is about the best of them. Call the car service yourself.

Archived