what to wear on port excursions?

poss

Ah, it's that delicious time when I should start thinking about what to pack for our up-coming Voyager Dover-Nice cruise (Sept 12). Haven't been to that part of Europe in 8-10 years, but my memory is that when we were last there, we wore shorts in the summer (as we do when we're in cities in the States in the hot summertime). Am I correct that shorts and light tops are appropriate in places like St Emillion, Cadiz, Lisbon, Barcelona, Nice? And that on board, shorts are fine in the daytime?

Thanks!

Shorts are fine on board. I would say that shorts on women are somewhat uncommon in most of those places, but longer bermuda-style shorts, or capris would be fine. I saw lots of men tourists wearing shorts. I myself wore capris, mostly.

Funny, I was told somewhere on this board before we went last year that capris were uncommon in Europe. So we started tracking all the capris we saw, and there were lots everywhere.

I think it's the same as in the States, you don't see many shorts in Manhattan I would think. But lots at resorts and beaches. But you'll be fine, I'm sure.

I was on the Dover-Nice Cruise, September, last year. The weather ranged from mid 60's to high 80's (maybe even low 90's).

I agree with Wendy. The excursions are mostly in and around cities. I was most comfortable wearing capri's, and, on the really hot days, I preferred a light, summer skirt. Some of the excursions visit cathedrals and downtown areas where shorts seem out of place. My husband's uniform was usually khaki pants or khaki shorts.

I think I wore Bermuda length shorts, once, to the Guggenheim in Bilbao. I aso wore a pair of khaki shorts during the day when we were at sea.

Hope you love the cruise as much as I did! It was wonderful!

Thanks for the replies. I think we'll probably do pretty much what we do in the States, i.e. when it's very warm, bermuda length "shorts" for both of us. (I'm always too hot in capris when the temps and humidity are way up.) When we're in NY, enjoying Central Park, e.g., I always wear shorts (bermuda length) in summer, and don't hesitate to pop into museums in same. In Washington also-- bermuda length shorts for strolling the Mall and museum-going. Same for restaurants at lunchtime (though feel more comfortable in cities putting on capri-length for most dinner restaurants).

Now if I can only figure out the shoes-thing! (Have plantar fasciatis, so wear walking/running shoes with inserts virtually all the time. Haven't worn heels in ten years! Will most likely do same on cruise expeditions-- fashion out the window, tant pis.)

Poss, I feel for you. I have plantar fasciitis too. I'm fighting it, so far it's not too bad. I have nice-casual sandals with a little heel, maybe 1.5 inches high. I find that having the modest high heel actually helps the pain. I've just been using little heel inserts that I buy at the drugstore for other shoes, haven't gone the full orthotic insert route yet. You could always wear an elastic ankle bandage, signalling that you have foot trouble--then you could wear whatever you want! Really, I doubt if they would turn away a woman coming into the dining room in running shoes, especially if she's dressed nicely otherwise.

We did the Nice-Dover this June. Mostly I wore light cotton skirts with short sleeved or sleeveless tops. A couple of days I wore Bermuda length shorts. I think you should be fine with either, and I would wear whatever shoes are comfortable as long as they are clean and presentable.

Poss, another thought on shoes. If you have an orthotic, perhaps you can find a pair of kind of understated running shoes in a dark color that you will fit your inserts. A friend of mine who has foot problems does this, and they just look like slippers, really. Don't sweat it.

BTW, remind me, you're English, right? You're certainly not American, at least I'm guessing that. (I.e., "running shoes" instead of "sneakers", talking about "the States". I'm Canadian, by the way.)

We live in a resort area (Hilton Head South Carolina) and have many business trips to New York City. In both places you can always tell the tourists from the locals. In Hilton Head locals NEVER wear shorts in the evening to a restaurant. In NYC locals NEVER wear shorts in midtown under any circumstances.

I would never wear shorts while visiting a major European city( well, yes in St Tropez, maybe in Nice); in my eyes they would be resort wear.

Cheers

Danny Weitz

Sure, in a major city you will be immediately identified as a tourist. But at a certain point, who cares?

I remember a business trip to Oxford that I made with my boss about 10 years ago. We had our evenings free for sightseeing and meals. I remember being horrified that, once out of his very formal business suit, he insisted on wearing bermuda shorts, running shoes, and a golf hat (he's about 10 years older than me, and was in his mid-50s at the time.) By the end of the trip, I realized that he just didn't give a d**m, and that was actually quite healthy. Ironically, there was a tremendous heat wave in Oxford that week, and there were, in fact, locals wearing shorts at times.

I'm almost 60, and getting to the point finally where I will wear what I find comfortable, and really don't care that much what people think of me. I adhere to the dress codes on board, but if I want to wear comfy shoes, I shall.

Archived