What cruise discounts have you gotten for 55+?

chrismch

I know when I check out cruise prices, they usually have a price for "over 55." Yet when, I've checked the box it always still seems to be the same rate as when I've said no to the 55. Is one cruiseline or travel company more apt to discount? Any suggestions for seaching out the best fares?

I had booked enchantment beginning of July. No senior discount.

Three weeks later I was checking on expedia...a WOOOOOOHOOOO

110.00 EACH discount for our cruise.

You better believe I got ahold of TA and they got it changed right then and there!

I'm another who has never had senior discount.

RCCL is the only one that has given me a discount and I've sailed Carnival 4 times. You would think that they would come up with something. I'm looking at a discounted RCCL now out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale, a 4 nighter for $179 @.:D

I know when I check out cruise prices, they usually have a price for "over 55." Yet when, I've checked the box it always still seems to be the same rate as when I've said no to the 55. Is one cruiseline or travel company more apt to discount? Any suggestions for seaching out the best fares?

Yes, I have found the same thing, what a waste of time!

I usually get a discount, but not always the one I am looking for. I like several websites for comparing prices, but I always call a local agent or a "live" customer rep on the website to ask for the discount. Sometimes I can get a "resident special" and if on of my sons is going, I get him to ask for a military discount for the family.

I also say when calling that if they don't offer a senior discount that I would like a coupon booklet with onboard discounts. You don't get if you don't ask.

Nana911

I've had good luck with 55+ discount on Royal Caribbean. It's not offered in every category of cabin, and it varies depending on popularity of cruise, however so far it's been generous enough to offset the single surcharge for a solo. RCL also seems to have the least penalty for a solo, as compared to Princess that really slams the solo and offers no 55+. Carnival also seems to have a good selection of 55+ rates. Even sailing from Florida ports, where you would expect a large senior population, I've found the ships actually have a wider age range, probably due to families and singles coming down to the theme parks.

You normally get an over 55 discount if the ship is not sold out

I have just received a dicount on Celebrity Millenium for a FOV on a transatlantic out of Barcelona Dec 2nd to Fort Lauderdale

of 8.75% of cruise part of cost This is for each person in cabin of any age,

Total saving of $300 on the cabin plus a reduction in the cost of the Total package including air fare

I only obtained this discount after being told about it on the CC role

The Venice Barcelona 18th November 2007 is also the same

David

Just thought I would let you now of our current discount. We are sailing Nov4 on RCCL. Booked several months ago and received a Junior Suite for $800.00 per person for a 7 day to bermuda and boston. The ship was nowhere near full then and the room is now selling for $l559 per person. We thought we got a great deal!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't think this was unusual,but I have obtained the over 55 discount on every one of my RCCL cruises.

I also check prices frequently as they do fluctuate,and if the price drops I call pronto. I got two price drops on Freedom of the Seas,in addition to a Sr and a State discount. Keep checking all the options.:)

One way to get disccounts is to book early and then watch to see if the fares go down. Our cruise started out at $3600/person and went down about $1000 before we made final payment. Once final payment is made you can't get any more reductions. Since most people seem to be over 55 on a lot of the longer cruises, you won't see any discounts unless they can't fill the ship. That's why we got such a great discount.

Hi.

My wife and I are avid cruisers. We usually have 2 cruises booked ahead of time, sometimes more. I shop for the cruises on the internet almost daily, so I know the market. We live in Fort Lauderdale, we qualify for an over-55 discount, we can leave at a few days' notice.:D

To us, the ship is the destination since we have been to most of the more popular caribbean ports of call to often to count. NEVER have we gotten a beter price because we were 55+. It doesn't matter if we book our next cruise with the ship's cruise consultant, book online, book through the cruise line, book through an agent. Those 55+ discounts are like UFOs: you hear about them but you never see one yourself.

Worst yet is the fact that the paying passenger, forking out good money for that cruise, has to check on a regular basis for discounts on his specific cruise. It's then up to the passenger to make representations with the cruise line or travel agent to get that discount.:mad: In such cases, the burden of the proof is yours entirely. Be prepared to prove your point.

I am getting good at this: I got two rebates on our next 20-day cruise next April. We got a $220 rebate/person at the beginning of September and another $150 rebate/person just a week ago. But then again, these are not 55+ discounts.

I still hope to see a UFO. I'm certain I'll see one before I get a 55+ discount.:D

Sylvain.

I recently booked a 3 night RCCL cruise to the Bahamas. We wanted this to add to the beginning of our 11 night cruise for a B2B. When I first looked into it there was a great Senior Rate and a great choice of staterooms, so I booked! I told some friends about it, she fooled around and finally went to book but they had removed the senior discount so she changed her mind. Well, now they have put the senior discount back on, as it is getting closed to the sail date. But there is very little choice of staterooms and the only ones left are obstructed view.

There are so many people that think you get such a great deal by waiting until the last minute (my friend included). But you don't, she got the same price that I did, but a very poor selection of stateroom and she has an obstructed view. Some will say who cares it is only for 3 days, but for the same money I would rather have the unobstructed view.

I say book early, the senior specials, location specials, etc. are all offered up front, early and get the great selection of staterooms. IF the price goes down either you or your TA can get the lower rate for you.

And I still think you are better off to have a great TA.

I have saved plenty of money watching for the 55+ rates on RCI. Sometimes we book quite far out, other times we book closer to cruise time. It all depends on what you are looking for. Our last 9 night cruise we spent $745. p/p, while others on the ship in the same cat paid double that. We took advantage of the 55+ discount. Once I book a cruise, I take 5 minutes out of my day, and check prices. If there is a price drop, I call immediately. 5 minutes of time could be worth $100's, so I'll give up 5 minutes of my day, to save. We also have gotten a discount after final payment.

we ve got the Mexican Riviera and Hawaii lock d in for next yr. and searching for a good deal for the carribean in jan, 09..

think carnival is willing to deal us a senior discount being it s so far out?

what the cruise line s fail to understand that most of us are not rich..that we live on a limit d fix d income..

im sure there are thousand s of senior s like ourselve s who would love to take a cruise yet feel uncomfortable

paying the high price s.

Archived