Inside Cabin

GJClay

I am not sure if I'm doing this right, having never posted on any board of any kind.

The question is, I am booked on the Navigator for the March 15, 2008 sailing with my husband and 14-year-old daughter. This is our third cruise, but first time in a inside room (cat L,deck 8, back of ship).

We have been lucky enough to have had suites/mini-suites on both previous cruises. This time, the options were: stay home in cold Kansas for spring break, or cruise, three of us in the inside (obviously for financial reasons). I realize we probably could have taken a lesser ship and upgraded the room, but I really wanted a Voyager class ship, thinking my daughter would enjoy it. She says the inside cabin thing does not bother her at all. I'm just worried about my husband and myself.

Do you think we will be miserable cramming three people into this amount of space? Not to mention we were spoiled with balcony's. Can somebody tell me how to lessen my worries? I'm really excited about the cruise, but am afraid I won't get the same feeling of excitement I had sitting on the balcony, and the space issue is obviously bothering me as well.

I'm not trying to sound snobbish, as I know many people cruise insides all of the time, but I've seen posts with statements indicating that once you have a balcony, you'll never be satisfied again. Are we ruined?

Thanks for listening

I don't think your snobbish!!! I have sailed 4 cruises either balcony or window. I am also going to sail inside deck 8 on Explorer.

It all depends on how much you will actually be in the room. I love to be on the open deck and when I go to my room its either to change or go to sleep. Yeah, the space and balcony is nice, don't get me wrong!! Now you can buy yourself a little something or a few extra drinks with the money you saved!!

We have sailed the Voyager class and for a few dollars more you can book a Prom Cabin. This has a window overlooking Royal Prom area which gives you the sense of openness. We have done Balcony and Inside. The balcony will give upu a little more Sq Footage. The Inside is nice & dark so you don't have the light coming in early if you want to sleep late. Other than an afternoon nap we only use our cabin for sleeping in so we make the decision based on price and discounts. If we can save a $200 on the inside we take it and it pays for the airfare or tips onboard.

We had an Inside on one ship with Mom as the 3rd. For privacy we typically dressed for the evening and then went to the Schooner Bar giving Mom 45 - 60 minutes of privacy and then meet before diner. For PJ's I wear jockey's so I took along a pair of Gym Shorts for night.

IMHO it's like getting a hotel room that overlooks the Ocean or overlooks the Parking Lot. If I'm saving $$ I'll take the Parking Lot and go outside and look at the ocean.

I have cruised and stayed in every category from insides(lots) to Owner Suites(once)......and if it was a choice of staying home or staying in an inside,I would pick that inside.......

It will be fine........you'll have lots of fun.............

We have sailed the Voyager class and for a few dollars more you can book a Prom Cabin. This has a window overlooking Royal Prom area which gives you the sense of openness. We have done Balcony and Inside. The balcony will give upu a little more Sq Footage. The Inside is nice & dark so you don't have the light coming in early if you want to sleep late. Other than an afternoon nap we only use our cabin for sleeping in so we make the decision based on price and discounts. If we can save a $200 on the inside we take it and it pays for the airfare or tips onboard.

We had an Inside on one ship with Mom as the 3rd. For privacy we typically dressed for the evening and then went to the Schooner Bar giving Mom 45 - 60 minutes of privacy and then meet before diner. For PJ's I wear jockey's so I took along a pair of Gym Shorts for night.

IMHO it's like getting a hotel room that overlooks the Ocean or overlooks the Parking Lot. If I'm saving $$ I'll take the Parking Lot and go outside and look at the ocean.

Thanks for the tips...I did look into the Prom Cabins and it seems they are already gone. Apparently, spring break is filling up very early.

I don't think your snobbish!!! I have sailed 4 cruises either balcony or window. I am also going to sail inside deck 8 on Explorer.

It all depends on how much you will actually be in the room. I love to be on the open deck and when I go to my room its either to change or go to sleep. Yeah, the space and balcony is nice, don't get me wrong!! Now you can buy yourself a little something or a few extra drinks with the money you saved!!

I am definitely planning on spending less time in the room than when I had the balcony rooms (which still wasn't a whole lot, I might add), but the way I look at it is this: I can use the money saved to do the things my daughter would enjoy in port, and I think she will really enjoy hanging out in the promenade, not to mention everything else there is to do on the ship, so...here we go!

By the way, how many people are going to be staying with you on the Explorer? I'm still obsessing over the space issue. I just need to get over it and enjoy, right?:)

I am definitely planning on spending less time in the room than when I had the balcony rooms (which still wasn't a whole lot, I might add), but the way I look at it is this: I can use the money saved to do the things my daughter would enjoy in port, and I think she will really enjoy hanging out in the promenade, not to mention everything else there is to do on the ship, so...here we go!

By the way, how many people are going to be staying with you on the Explorer? I'm still obsessing over the space issue. I just need to get over it and enjoy, right?:)

OOps, I think I sent this to the wrong person. Sorry

I'll assume you want an honest answer.........I wouldn't sail in an inside cabin. It's like living in a cave with no idea if it's day or night or morning. We recently tried to save money on an inside and had to upgrade to an outside on day two it was so bad. I need morning light for my body to acknowledge it's morning, rise and shine. Now I've read plenty of threads where people say an inside cabin is okay with them but I'm not one of them. Have you looked at an obstructed view cabin which is reasonably priced?

OOps, I think I sent this to the wrong person. Sorry
Little FYI...the next time,you realized you want to change a post,you have about 30 mins to edit it.......(the EDIT button will show up that long at the bottom of your post).

By my recollection, that option is sold out. Is that possible?

Only if it shows.check out www.rccl.com to see what is showing for your cruise

Thanks for the tips...I did look into the Prom Cabins and it seems they are already gone. Apparently, spring break is filling up very early.

PR cabins are for 2 people..........for $140 total(looking at todays prices--dont know what you paid),you can get an oceanview(deck2)

I'll assume you want an honest answer.........I wouldn't sail in an inside cabin. It's like living in a cave with no idea if it's day or night or morning. We recently tried to save money on an inside and had to upgrade to an outside on day two it was so bad. I need morning light for my body to acknowledge it's morning, rise and shine. Now I've read plenty of threads where people say an inside cabin is okay with them but I'm not one of them. Have you looked at an obstructed view cabin which is reasonably priced?

I was thinking about trying that. This ship is filling up really fast, so I'll check out the obstructed view.

thanks

We've been on 12 cruises so far, and only had 3 balconies so far, which have been the last 4 cruises. On our last cruise, we spent 9 nights on the Norwegian Pearl in a small inside cabin on deck 4. I joked w/my DH we were in the dungeon w/the crew, but really it was nice and cozy. Sure beats staying at home. There are lots of spaces on the ship. They even have showers in the gym area, you DH could go there to shower while you and your daughter get ready to go. Use this as a special time to spend together as a family. You will have a fantastic time on the ship, no matter where you sleep!

I have to agree with CruisePRN--If I couldn't afford the kind of accomodations I'm used to, I wouldn't sail! NO WAY would I put 2 of us, let alone 3 in a teeny inside! They are extremely small. But, alot of folks don't care about the room, and if you're one of them, you should do fine. I know myself, and I would not have a good vacation without the space of a JS!

I am not sure if I'm doing this right, having never posted on any board of any kind.

The question is, I am booked on the Navigator for the March 15, 2008 sailing with my husband and 14-year-old daughter. This is our third cruise, but first time in a inside room (cat L,deck 8, back of ship).

We have been lucky enough to have had suites/mini-suites on both previous cruises. This time, the options were: stay home in cold Kansas for spring break, or cruise, three of us in the inside (obviously for financial reasons). I realize we probably could have taken a lesser ship and upgraded the room, but I really wanted a Voyager class ship, thinking my daughter would enjoy it. She says the inside cabin thing does not bother her at all. I'm just worried about my husband and myself.

Do you think we will be miserable cramming three people into this amount of space? Not to mention we were spoiled with balcony's. Can somebody tell me how to lessen my worries? I'm really excited about the cruise, but am afraid I won't get the same feeling of excitement I had sitting on the balcony, and the space issue is obviously bothering me as well.

I'm not trying to sound snobbish, as I know many people cruise insides all of the time, but I've seen posts with statements indicating that once you have a balcony, you'll never be satisfied again. Are we ruined?

Thanks for listening

if my friends and i didn't kill each other then you'll be fine.

i shared an inside cabin with three friends on monarch. it was a tight tight tight squeeze, but we managed. cabins are only to store my stuff and sleep at night.

i'll be in an inside for my alaskan cruise (two days!!!), but it's only two people instead of four.

While I do usually book a balcony cabin, we have stayed in an inside cabin and I liked it. I liked the fact that the sun didn't wake me up every morning before I wanted to get up. My husband didn't like it but if it is a choice of staying home or doing the inside I do it in a heart beat. You won't be in there that long any way. Sleep, change, sleep. You will be outside most of the time.

Go for it.

Ann

just book an inside guarantee at the cheapest rate, you will normally get an upgrade anyways.

A bit of unreliable information here. Guarantees are just that, a guarantee that you will get the classification of cabin you paid for. A sold out spring break cruise there will be less of a chance of upgrade than at another time, when higher categories are not sold out. Upgrades are fewer and farther between these days, lovely when it happens, definitely not something to plan on.

We've done 2 guarantees and both times got the exact category we paid for. You can also pretty much count on if you do get an upgrade, it will be from inside to inside on a higher deck, rarely do upgrades go from inside to OV or balcony.

Cruising in an inside cabin is definitely different than having a balcony or a mini-suite. But I'll agree with what others have stated, it sure beats staying at home :)

Hey, OP Iv booked a inside on Voyager, sounds like the same area as you booked. I have to admit I much prefer seeing out, just me, but the price is so high for spring that Im booking a cheaper cabin. I bet we all enjoy our cruise. The cabin is only a small part of the cruise. To the people saying obstructed...its $250 pp more for my date next spring and there are no guarantees to book for inside cabins.

OP if it were me and money is a problem for whatever reason, make the best of it, go and enjoy. I think Iv only had two previous inside cabins and cant say I loved them but they were not that bad either.

I was in an inside room on the Song of America with 3 other people. That was an amazingly small room. The total price was $1618 which included taxes, fees, and port charges for a 7 night cruise to Mex. Riv. in 1998.

We knew the room was small so we were prepared for it and had a great time. To help with the shower situation, my sister and I used the showers near the pool and then we would dress in the room. No men with us so that made getting dressed easier. A lot of cabins have a drape to pull to separate the sleeping area from the sitting area. That should help you.

Have a great trip!

On our last two cruises we had inside cabins. Since we got a good price and figured we aren't in the cabin that much why not. For space purposes we had the room steward change the bed to twins gave us a lot more space. The light coming from the hallway was sort of a night light:) The inside cabin isn't that bad. Have a great cruise.

I was single for many years before I remarried. During those single years I was priviledged to travel and cruise with my parents all over the world.On our cruises we usually travelled in inside cabins for 3.We never had a problelm with stowing our stuff, even on a 12 night cruise to the Med, and we have truly fond memoreis of our adventures, including me on my upper "perch" during some rough seas. Don't worry about an inside cabin - you'll have a marvelous time and get some great sleep in the dark cabin. We still love to reminisce about those trips and thankfully my DH and I now cruise with them frequently, but in separate cabins (DH got hooked the first cruise, which was also the first time he met my parents!). There's always time to "upgrade" later on, but you can never replace those first memories.:)

I say go ahead, we have cruised in balcony, outsides and insides. We generally book insides and only regretted it once because of size. That was on a last minute decision after a cancellation with 3 days to departure and had to change lines to make the vacation dates work. We find with celebrity the insides, outsides and balcony cabins are the same size of course with extra space for the balcony. What we find more important is the location of the cabin and try to get deck 8 or 9 midship and so far have been quite lucky.

Which ever you choose you will undoubtedly enjoy you choice and cruise.

Archived