Zeebrugge - How is this area, anything to do there?

Schwingoh

Zeebrugge is a large container port. Unless you have a spiritual connection with large cranes there is nothing much of interest in the port.

If you are a train/tram buff, the coastal train can be fun. The area has some nice beaches (by North Sea standards -- this ain't Miami's South Beach) and is famous for sand sculptures.

All that said, Brugge is a wonderful place. Too darn crowded in the summer, of course but so is every other place of interest.

Paul

When I search Zeebrugge all I seem to get is information on trains out of town. What is there to see in the port area? We will go into Bruges but I wanted to know if I should allow anytime to spend in Zeebrugge.

Thank you!

As well as the delightful Bruges, try and get to Gent. They even have a medieval castle there that has a well stocked medieval torture chamber.

Oh yes, and the Belgian beer (and chocs) are to die for . . . Chiminnay is brewed by Belgian Trapist monks.

Kevin

Bruges is an absolutely wonderful city! Go there by train, plane, or automobile or even crawl, but definitely spend your day in Bruges. As to the port, its a commercial port with nothing in the immediate area. If you can get a group of 4 together, its actually cheaper to take a taxi to Bruges than dealing with the cruise line transfers, trains, etc.

Hank

I just cannot think of enough good adjectives to apply to the city of Bruges. We have traveled all over the world (6 continents) and for some strange reason had never been to Burges until we stopped there on a cruise this past spring. To use a popular term, we were just "blown away" by this wonderful city. The next time we are driving anywhere in France or nearby, we will make it our quest to spend several nights in Bruges. As to what to do on a day trip, I would suggest just going on your own.. and doing a lot of walking around the city. You also should take a canal cruise (you can pick these up from several different spots..just ask where) and you will be amazed at the beautiful old homes and other buildings.

Hank

When I search Zeebrugge all I seem to get is information on trains out of town. What is there to see in the port area? We will go into Bruges but I wanted to know if I should allow anytime to spend in Zeebrugge.

Thank you!

There is very little in Zeebrugge.

However if you get the shuttle bus it takes you to Blankenburg. If you have been to Bruges you will find that Blankenburg is a very nice sea side resort with plenty of shops and things to do and see and a complete change from Bruges. For a start it is a town for citizens of Belgium, it does not cater directly for tourists from the English speaking world and so has a charm of its own. You feel that you are in a foreign country.

Also if you are feeling adventurous the tram will take you to Ostende and beyond

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

• 4 weeks later...

We (four of us) took a taxi into Bruges last summer, much more economical than cruiseline transfer. We made arrangements for the taxi driver to meet us at our drop off point to make sure we had a taxi back (his suggestion). He turned away other people who realized they did have a guaranteed ride back to the ship. We were glad we did.

Archived