Deck 2 cabins

GJClay

I notice in a lot of threads, negative comments are made about level 2 cabins. I booked a deck 2 OV on the RCI Navigator, mid ship near the elevator, and am wondering now what to expect. It was the best cabin within my price range, and I'm now getting worried. My TA seemed to think it was a good location for my husband's tendency toward motion sickness, as well as for convenience.

Don't worry! The lower decks (midships) are the best for those prone to motion sickness because they are the most stable (as the ship moves up and down, back and forth, etc, you will be in the "pivot" location and will have less sensation of the movement, that is, less than someone up front and higher up, for example). Although I haven't been on that particular ship, I'm assuming Deck 2 is the lowest deck for passengers. There will be crew decks below you (and, yes, you'll be above water!LOL).

Some people complain about the lower decks because you'll have more stairs to climb to get to the public areas (or take the elevators!). The cabins are usually smaller than those on higher decks. Plus on some older ships, the windows on these lower decks are not as large as the windows on upper decks. And on really old ships, you can sometimes get a whiff of the sewage tanks (that are well below you).

And, of course, there's the status issue! Some people are really into "my cabin's bigger than your's" or "I can't cruise without a balcony" or "my cabin cost more than your's did" (etc, etc, etc). To be honest, we don't spend much time in the cabin- other than sleeping! Unless you are both well over 300 pounds, a small cabin will be just as functional as a suite. They all have twin beds (which in some cases can be put together to form a queen), a private bathroom (small on all decks except the ultra suites), some storage space, closet, chair, etc.

As far as cost, DH & I would rather spend our money by taking several trips during the year, being cost conscious on each, than on one super-spectacular cruise. So you'll find us on the lower decks too!

I notice in a lot of threads, negative comments are made about level 2 cabins. I booked a deck 2 OV on the RCI Navigator, mid ship near the elevator, and am wondering now what to expect. It was the best cabin within my price range, and I'm now getting worried. My TA seemed to think it was a good location for my husband's tendency toward motion sickness, as well as for convenience.

GJ, don't sweat it. It will be fine Jersey Gem is right on. Any cabin on a cruise ship is better than the cabin at home.

Thanks for your replies. I have heard that it would be better to stay home that not have a balcony, etc. etc. Find it hard to believe that I would prefer to remain in Kansas in March just because I can't afford a better cabin! Now that would be REALLY depressing.

Thanks for your replies. I have heard that it would be better to stay home that not have a balcony, etc. etc. Find it hard to believe that I would prefer to remain in Kansas in March just because I can't afford a better cabin! Now that would be REALLY depressing.

People love to be called balcony snobs. Myself, Im still doing OVs and insides. I love to see out at least, but wouldnt stay home if the inside cabin was all I could afford. In fact I have a inside on Voyager because its such a expensive cruise. We have Q, which if you look on the RCI site they are far to the front or far to the aft, the least desireable. But we got deck 8, even if all the way aft. Id rather go cheap than not at all. Prices were still $599 plus taxes, so to me $1300 for two of us, we will do insides.

My friend has a rule of thumb, he wouldnt pay more than $100 a day.

As DW said, we stay on "the squid" deck because once you get over the location, you get all the same food, services and shows for a much more affordable price.

I'll save the money on the cabin for the extra cruise anyday. The worst we evr had was near the winches for the berthing lines . . . no need for a wake up call on port days, and we were among the first off.

im now booked at a deck 2 cabin (my first cruise) because its the only cabin left (that is not a suite) for my preferred date of sailing.

i was worried at first but maybe its a blessing in disguise because im proned to motion sickness and i saved $600 from my original preferred cabin. now i can get myself a new LV wallet in Rome:D

I booked my first lower-level cabin without having given it much thought... My husband jokingly sneered that we were in steerage!! Anyway, we ended up loving it!!! Cabins are cabins, and we found it to be very convenient. Especially when returning from ports - no need to wait in long lines for the elevators or try to lug your stuff up several flights of stairs. Plus I enjoyed looking out OVER the ocean and not DOWN on it - silly, but I really did enjoy it. We're booked on deck 2 for our November cruise.

Having said all of that, I'm with above posters - any cabin will do for me as opposed to staying home :)

ENJOY!!

I always book the cheapest cabin available.

We got a last-minute bump to a balcony cabin for Alaska and that was AWESOME! But, we're not wealthy and can't splurge like this very often, so On The Ship is my basic requirement.

Those who have the money for suites and balconies, that's great for them. But I don't play Keeping Up with the Joneses (geez, how is that spelled??) and would rather spend the savings in port.

Go, have fun ! Cheap Cabin Bookers, UNITE!

It is so great to hear more from those who can't afford or don't want to spend extra money on balconies, suites, etc.

We will be in an inside cabin on Deck 3 of the Jewel on October 28 2008 out of Boston.

I second the Cheap Cabin Bookers, UNITE! Maybe we can get some threads going about the best INSIDE cabins to book.

Sabba

It is so great to hear more from those who can't afford or don't want to spend extra money on balconies, suites, etc.

We will be in an inside cabin on Deck 3 of the Jewel on October 28 2008 out of Boston.

I second the Cheap Cabin Bookers, UNITE! Maybe we can get some threads going about the best INSIDE cabins to book.

Sabba

Great idea. I'm wondering what the size of the cabin will really be like for a mom, dad, and daughter (age 14). It's 161 sq ft. I'm thinking since we're on a newer ship that the layout of the cabin itself will be well organized (RCI Navigator).

I remember when four of us were in a suite on the Fascination, we had to use a rollaway due to my opposite sex kids not wanting to sleep together in the second bed. I still have a scar on my leg from tripping over that thing.

I think we should try to pack light; but have never been very successful with that; especially when bringing a teenaged girl.

Great idea. I'm wondering what the size of the cabin will really be like for a mom, dad, and daughter (age 14). It's 161 sq ft. I'm thinking since we're on a newer ship that the layout of the cabin itself will be well organized (RCI Navigator).

I remember when four of us were in a suite on the Fascination, we had to use a rollaway due to my opposite sex kids not wanting to sleep together in the second bed. I still have a scar on my leg from tripping over that thing.

I think we should try to pack light; but have never been very successful with that; especially when bringing a teenaged girl.

When we cruised with our teenage daughter, my husband took his before dinner showers in the men's locker room by the spa. The showers were really nice, and it left more room for my daughter and me to shower and get ready for dinner.

When we cruised with our teenage daughter, my husband took his before dinner showers in the men's locker room by the spa. The showers were really nice, and it left more room for my daughter and me to shower and get ready for dinner.

Great idea. Thanks.

Im hoping to be UPGRADED to a 2nd deck 4A inside cabin lol. I have a 1A guarantee booked and they raised the price of the 1As so they are now the same as the inside guarantee...so naturally the 1As are not selling that I can tell, been watching the inventory.

Im prepared for bunks, but a upgrade to a inside deck 2 is what Im hoping for. THERE ARE WORSE THINGS THAN A INSIDE CABIN ON DECK 2. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived