Solo Dining on the Grand...Was Grand!

FinelyRetired

I just returned from the 8/21/07 Grand Princess British Isles cruise. It was my first Solo cruise and I must say that the assigned dining was..just grand.

I was happily surprised to arrive first night onboard at my table, 2nd seating, and find I'd been assigned a table for 8.......ALL of which were solo cruisers! A great mix of ages (50+-75+)from all over the World. 7 ladies, one gentleman. Some married but travelling without their spouse, some widowed, one unmarried.

Almost all had many more prior cruises as solos than I did. And, all said this was the first time they had been assigned to a table full of solos! We had a great time together sharing our varied day excursions, an onboard show or two, our lives, etc. And it was nice to happen upon one or so around the ship, or on a tour, or just on a street in a port as we travelled along. In fact, they were hard to keep up with, but I enjoyed trying!

For me.......I thought it was a great effort on the part of whoever did the assigned seating arrangement on this Grand Princess cruise! It was just a perfect arrangement for my first solo cruise.

Curious. What do the rest of you think? Would a solo dining table be a good idea or not for you as a solo?

Martha

Martha, so thrilled you enjoyed your cruise !!!. And as to your question, no, I want to sit with others at dinner so I wouldn't like to have a solo table. I think it would be rather lonely. I love meeting new people and a big table for dinner helps with that.

I just returned from the 8/21/07 Grand Princess British Isles cruise. It was my first Solo cruise and I must say that the assigned dining was..just grand.

I was happily surprised to arrive first night onboard at my table, 2nd seating, and find I'd been assigned a table for 8.......ALL of which were solo cruisers! A great mix of ages (50+-75+)from all over the World. 7 ladies, one gentleman. Some married but travelling without their spouse, some widowed, one unmarried.

Almost all had many more prior cruises as solos than I did. And, all said this was the first time they had been assigned to a table full of solos! We had a great time together sharing our varied day excursions, an onboard show or two, our lives, etc. And it was nice to happen upon one or so around the ship, or on a tour, or just on a street in a port as we travelled along. In fact, they were hard to keep up with, but I enjoyed trying!

For me.......I thought it was a great effort on the part of whoever did the assigned seating arrangement on this Grand Princess cruise! It was just a perfect arrangement for my first solo cruise.

Curious. What do the rest of you think? Would a solo dining table be a good idea or not for you as a solo?

Martha

I think it is great that you had a nice table of solos. What fun. I wish they

would do that more often -- just have a nice big solo table.

I had a table of 8 on my last solo cruise. Two couples and two other single ladies. We had a great time. But I think a table of just solos would be great.

WCC

I too have been assigned to large "singles" tables and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I hope that all cruise lines take note--------and duplicate this dining arrangement. Thanks Finely Retired for mentioning this concept on Solo Cruisers's thread. :D

Martha, so thrilled you enjoyed your cruise !!!. And as to your question, no, I want to sit with others at dinner so I wouldn't like to have a solo table. I think it would be rather lonely. I love meeting new people and a big table for dinner helps with that.

I think you may have misunderstood the OP. She wanted to know about sitting at a large table with others who are sailing solo (not at a table by yourself).

Darcie, I think the OP meant would you like to sit at a table with

other solo cruisers, not to sit "solo".

To the OP, that is wonderful:) and I am glad you had such

great tablemates!

Same thing happened to me back in March;) I was assigned to

a 6 top...3 gals traveling together...1 divorced, and the other

2 had partners at home. The 3 of them work together.

Another gal whose husband doesn't cruise, and one guy who

happened to be the lecturer on board and me.

We all got along great!

I don't really care if the others at my table are solo or not~

I just prefer friendly folks who enjoy the dinner experience.:)

Married, single, whatever.....

OK, I got it. Thanks Lois. :)

And like you, I don't really care about tablemates UNLESS it's with families and kids. That's not my thing as I've found a lot of families with kids not to be all that friendly to singles. Other than that, I don't care about age, gender (although a nice single gentleman would be very nice) or marital status. Just give me friendly people.

OK, I got it. Thanks Lois. :)

And like you, I don't really care about tablemates UNLESS it's with families and kids. That's not my thing as I've found a lot of families with kids not to be all that friendly to singles. Other than that, I don't care about age, gender (although a nice single gentleman would be very nice) or marital status. Just give me friendly people.

Darcie, ...exactly, friendly people:D

So, are you looking at Galaxy on 3/7/08???:)

Lois, yes I'm looking at the Galaxy. The only problem is that I'm going to be in Las Vegas from Feb 27 until Mar 3 for the Nascar race. I promised my friend Larry that I would go with him to the race, so I have to go there. It will be a rather tight schedule leaving for the Galaxy 4 days later. We'll see.

• 1 month later...

As a solo traveller, I gave up on even going to the dining room after my first 2 table match experiences:

- Table of 4: travellers, me about 33 at the time, sitting with 2 ladies over 70; one gentleman in his 60s - we were all solo travellers but so little in common, I got bored

- Table of 8: me plus a party of 7 travelling together. Bummer for us all

My last cruise I didn't even bother checking out the dining room, I used all the other dining options that are available these days

Your story is encouraging. I'll at least "try" out the dining room on my upcoming cruise and see what I've been dealt for dinner companions before I decide to just eat at the buffet....

As a solo traveller, I gave up on even going to the dining room after my first 2 table match experiences:

- Table of 4: travellers, me about 33 at the time, sitting with 2 ladies over 70; one gentleman in his 60s - we were all solo travellers but so little in common, I got bored

My last cruise I didn't even bother checking out the dining room, I used all the other dining options that are available these days

Your story is encouraging. I'll at least "try" out the dining room on my upcoming cruise and see what I've been dealt for dinner companions before I decide to just eat at the buffet....

Hi, may I ask what cruiseline were you on? I am really sorry to

hear of your poor experiences.:(

One of the first things I do is see the Maitr'd and see who I am sitting

with....after 4 years of solo cruising I feel that is one of my most

fun times of the day and a large table with good dinner companions

is a priority for me.

I try to get to know the Maitr'd a bit and they have always

been more than happy to help if needed:)

I do hope you will give the dining room another chance and wishing

you good tablemates on future cruises!!!

If you are unhappy I would definitely suggest seeing your Maitr'd!

Finelyretired,

So happy to read about your experience. I'm scheduled for the British Isles tour next summer, solo and I'll be taking my first solo cruise on HAL in December. I think sitting at a large table with other solo travelers would be a great way to meet people. I must admit, I've been feeling a little concerned about the dining experience.

I'd love to hear more about your cruise experience and get some feedback about excursions and such.

Martha

I think a Solo table is a great idea!!

WCC

Finelyretired,

So happy to read about your experience. I'm scheduled for the British Isles tour next summer, solo and I'll be taking my first solo cruise on HAL in December. I think sitting at a large table with other solo travelers would be a great way to meet people. I must admit, I've been feeling a little concerned about the dining experience.

I'd love to hear more about your cruise experience and get some feedback about excursions and such.

I hear you diraebrad.....I was also concerned re: dining. Actually, I was concerned about the WHOLE thing! I had a book to read, a journal, postcards & my camera with me at many meals.....to occupy me just IN CASE I was alone. I hardly needed them.

I booked traditional, late seating because members of this board advised it. It's also when DH & I eat when we cruise together. And.....also called Princess ahead to express my concern that as a "solo" I'd feel safer if in a traditional assignment. Who knows if they listened.....could be they had a bunch of us old gals in one sitting & just threw us together? I really would have been equally satisfied with couples, a family. I just wanted some consistency......someone to notice I was missing after a port in the early evening as opposed to the next AM (ie:via cabin steward)!

Late in the planning process, came to find out another couple from my town, whom I know well, was aboard. I did NOT take their offer to dine with them.....I decided to see the "hand I was dealt" first. I did eat with them one night....to be polite.....they were doing the "anywhichway."

You asked about excursions. British Isles was my most "go to" spot. It was MY trip of of a lifetime. So, I did plan/research some very pricey solo, safe adventures ahead. All 4 of which I found others thru Roll Call, etc. to eventually share.........but would have done by myself, anyway! I also thought Edinburgh, Dublin, London very safe to wander on my own. I did a couple of ship's excursions......loved them too & the people I met there, even though they were "big" bus tours.

I met some wonderful, strong, well-travelled women on this cruise....much older than my 60......who I had to keep up with! It sure put me in my place in terms of my concerns... and quickly! :) I'll stay in contact with them, they're too precious & too much of a hoot to forget!

I found out I FELT older than they WERE! I came back....younger...if you get my drift?

Martha

I just finished a Princess cruise to Alaska with a friend, but was checking out how it would be if I were there solo (and I hope to soon). We had the Anytime Dining option so we just showed up at meals whenever we wanted and got seated at a table with others. I'd say about 95% of the time we had great tablemates, with a few exceptions. But the exceptions weren't really too bad - just one obnoxious old lady who complained about everything. But . . . the nice thing was that you could share a table but not have to sit with the same folks every night!! We met many nice people and actually ran into them frequently and got to be friends. So, it might help if you'd go on a cruiseline that has the flexible-type seating in the dining room. I don't like the buffet because the food isn't usually as good as the dining room and I enjoy the more formal atmosphere.

Just a thought. :)

It sounds to me like you're looking to be entertained by your table mates.

I don't understand why that would be a bummer for anybody.

I always travel solo and I've been in situations like you describe and had a great time. As long as everybody's pleasant and doesn't have disgusting table manners, I don't see what the problem is. You're there to eat good food, and the dining experience itself should be the entertainment.

Archived