Majesty- Junior Suite or Inside?

It really depends how much time you spend in your cabin and how you use it. We are only there to sleep from about midnight to 8:00 AM, and about an hour in the late afternoon to shower and change before dinner...we don't spend any time relaxing in our cabin, reading, watching TV, etc. So for us, a standard interior cabin is just fine and we can spend more money on other things. If you are claustrophobic or like to hang out in your cabin for a little more "down time", you may be happier with a larger cabin. Have a great time on your cruise!

Ashley:

There is a world of distance between an inside and a junior suite! Most of the ship, in fact. We were going through this same exercise last year before our 4-night cruise, so I'll tell you our thought process and our decision.

We wanted to go around our anniversary, end of April or beginning of May. Right away, we saw a big difference, depending on what week we wanted. End of April/first of May seems to be a dip in the prices, probably because of the time between spring break and when kids get out of school. I noticed that the April 28 sailing next year wants $429 pp for a Superior Oceanview (more on that room in a sec) vs. most of May it's at $559! So if you are flexible, you can save some money. We went April 23 last year.

Second, we looked at the cabins. We had an inside on sister-ship Monarch four years ago and were cramped. So we looked into the Superior Oceanview and the Junior Suites for this special anniversary (#15:D ). We found the Superior Oceanviews a hard-to-pass-up deal for us. We could do all the shore excursions we wanted for less than the price of upgrading to a JS. We figured with a new port each day, we wouldn't be spending very much time on the balcony or in the room. The location (deck 9) is pretty nice -- two decks down from the Windjammer/pool, a deck above the theater balcony. Going to deck 1 to get off is a long way down.

We were very happy with our room. The extra 30 feet over an oceanview or an inside gives you a loveseat and room to walk around the bed and under the window. You can't look straight down because of the lifeboats.

Good luck with your choices. The Majesty is a beautiful little jewel. If you go the end of April, it might save you enough to justify that Junior Suite!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

If you want a tub, you have to get the JS. An inside room is about the size of a walk-in closet, with furniture!

I don't sail in anything smaller than a JS--after all, it's a vacation, not a camping trip! Even tho you may not be in your room all the time, if you have some space, when you ARE there, you will be comfortable!

Depending on finances (and you are the only one that knows that) I would recommend a JS. I am a TA and hear daily....you really don't spend much time in your room....well for those who sail in an inside cabin (and I have many times) you won't spend much time there...it's a bit dark so you want to leave:) . I have spent more time in an oceanview cabin and even more in the room with a balcony. Sometimes you just like to get away from hundreds of people and sit and relax...read a book, stare at the ocean etc without feeling like you are in a dark closet. Is it worth the xtra $$...again, it really depends on you. If you are stretching your budget...maybe not...if it is not going to hurt you financially so you may not enjoy other things, than take what you can afford...you will still have a good time!!!

We are just off Majesty today and had a junior suite. The room was great. Lots of storage, good amount of space, balcony etc.etc. Great room. If finances are an issue, look for a sailing with better JS rates. There is NO comparison to an inside.:D

I've sailed the Majesty in an inside, an oceanview, and a junior suite. I really found the js a waste on this itinerary. We didn't use the balcony very much at all since we were in port everyday. I found very little difference between an inside and an oceanview. And we've found for just the two of us, an obstructed ov was just fine. Sure, it was small, but we packed light so we had very little luggage to contend with. Only you can decide if a js is worth the extra money to you. Personally, I'd rather go for a cheaper cabin and take more cruises during the year. :D

Personally, I'd rather go for a cheaper cabin and take more cruises during the year. :D

See, this is why it's hard to give advice on this issue. :o Lots of people feel this way, and I can certainly see their point. But on the other side of the coin there are people like me, for whom it's really not a cruise without a balcony. Personally, I wouldn't pay even $50 for a cruise without one.

However, that's only reflective of my cruising style. If you think you might fall into the category of people who really only use the room to sleep and shower, no matter how nice the room is, then you'd probably be better off saving the money.

If you an afford it, I'd get the bal. only on a longer cruise with at least 1 sea day. I sailed Sovereign a couple of yers ago - 3 day. Unless you don't get off in ports I don't see when you would spend much time on bal. to justify the cost.

Now on a 7day w/ 2 sea days... Oh Yeah! !

Ashley:

There is a world of distance between an inside and a junior suite! Most of the ship, in fact. We were going through this same exercise last year before our 4-night cruise, so I'll tell you our thought process and our decision.

We wanted to go around our anniversary, end of April or beginning of May. Right away, we saw a big difference, depending on what week we wanted. End of April/first of May seems to be a dip in the prices, probably because of the time between spring break and when kids get out of school. I noticed that the April 28 sailing next year wants $429 pp for a Superior Oceanview (more on that room in a sec) vs. most of May it's at $559! So if you are flexible, you can save some money. We went April 23 last year.

Second, we looked at the cabins. We had an inside on sister-ship Monarch four years ago and were cramped. So we looked into the Superior Oceanview and the Junior Suites for this special anniversary (#15:D ). We found the Superior Oceanviews a hard-to-pass-up deal for us. We could do all the shore excursions we wanted for less than the price of upgrading to a JS. We figured with a new port each day, we wouldn't be spending very much time on the balcony or in the room. The location (deck 9) is pretty nice -- two decks down from the Windjammer/pool, a deck above the theater balcony. Going to deck 1 to get off is a long way down.

We were very happy with our room. The extra 30 feet over an oceanview or an inside gives you a loveseat and room to walk around the bed and under the window. You can't look straight down because of the lifeboats.

Good luck with your choices. The Majesty is a beautiful little jewel. If you go the end of April, it might save you enough to justify that Junior Suite!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

This is great advice. You need to look at length and how many excursions your doing. If you gone most of the day on an excursion I don't see a lot of balcony time and unless your using points to offset the cost I don't see the extra $$ is worth it for a short cruise. You just don't find much time to just sit and relax out there. As far as a tub, never use it but enjoy the extra booty room for 2 isn't worth the $$. Cabin, well an inside is smaller but once again on short cruises you don't have much cabin time, just like the balcony so I say spend the money for excursions and do something you might not otherwise do and make it a quickie trip of a lifetime. :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

After my March Voyager cruise, Ill have 4 cruise credits. If I bumped up to one JS Id have 5 and be platinum. Maybe this shouldnt be a criteria, but it is to me :D

Other than that, I like to see out, maybe a OV, not a small inside if its not too much more. It was $40 more pp = $80 to move up to a OV for us on the 4 day.

I've sailed the Majesty in an inside, an oceanview, and a junior suite. I really found the js a waste on this itinerary. We didn't use the balcony very much at all since we were in port everyday. I found very little difference between an inside and an oceanview. And we've found for just the two of us, an obstructed ov was just fine. Sure, it was small, but we packed light so we had very little luggage to contend with. Only you can decide if a js is worth the extra money to you. Personally, I'd rather go for a cheaper cabin and take more cruises during the year. :D
I agree, on the 4 day with all port and no sea days you only sleep in your room. The rooms are small (had an OV Outside) and for a longer cruise I would recommend at least a Balcony. I guess it depends how much money you want to spend.

Archived