R731 Star Review...what a hoot !

SouthAussie100

Still with you Ness ... just waiting for the next installment.

What a pity you got such rough weather! We had a rough night the first night we went out (and the Captain did come over the PA and apologise for it - like it was his fault!!!:rolleyes: which was nice - as you said, at least you knew it was 'normal' and the boat wasn't about the sink!!!!). The last night back to Brisbane was also rough (again there was an announcement apologising and telling people to be careful when walking around the ship). Apart from that it was great weather!

Loving your review so far .... you must have a great memory (or took notes!!!)

Hi Lou Lou,

wrote a few bits and pieces down and kept all the pacific dailys to remind me where we were each day. Made some notes on them too.

do you honestly think that with all the drinking I've confessed to I would commit a weeks activities to memory !! One night...this sounds terrible...Brenton and I went to the Casablanca Lounge after dinner. Thought we'd have a cleansing ale. He asked me what I wanted to drink. I said "the beer we have been drinking" (I couldn't remember the name !) Worse still....neither could he !!! Hadn't even been drinking then...only a couple of wines with dinner. Must have been the brain saying...STOP YOU CRAZY BRAIN ABUSING FOOL !!!

:o :confused:

Hey Vanessa, I just noticed your countdown says you go to Thailnad in 6 days. You've only just got back from holidays. WHAT'S THAT ABOUT:) .

I know, I'm just jealous coz I can't holiday that often.

Really enjoying your review. Keep it coming.

Karen

Vanessa

What an amazing review!!! It's is fantastic reading and helping to get me more and more excited about our upcoming cruise - also with no kids like you. We have been waitlisted for a suite but being a school holidays cruise I don't like our chances. Oh well - at least we'll be on the ship!!!!

Rach

Hi Lisa,

sorry if I've caused you anxiety.....I know what pre-cruise anxiety is like (be quiet Minxy, Geoff, ADF, Kaz and Chez !) Basically I'm a bloody sook when it comes to the unknown.

cheers

ness

Like circling sharks.....the smell of fear....dom dom dom dom dom domdomdomDOMDOMDDOM

Loving the review Ness!

Cheers

Geoff

Another thing, after Lifou and Vila, a few ladies came back on board with the hair braiding / cornrow done. Now I don't mean to be nasty, I'm not a nasty person, BUT, I think there should be one of those cut out bodies that you can put your head through to see what you look like with the full braided hair look. Oh dear !

ROFLAMAO - I am telling DW that I don't think grey suits cornrows. The cutout is a sensational idea.

We were booked for the afternoon tour "A Taste of Vila". Oh...surprise surprise...food and booze again....how predictable !!

We were loaded onto airconditioned mini buses (thankgoodness as it was very humid). The tour included 4 stops with each stop providing opportunities to sample the (we thought)local wine / beer. Again, disappointed to be offered bloody Hardy's Chardy. The wine is ok but we thought we might actually try something that isn't made up the road from where we live :confused:.

I am the same with Hunter wines, even when travelling interstate. 20 minute drive to Wyndham Estate or 35min to Pokolbin. (We have not booked any tours based on cheese and wine, but will sample what is offered)

Are you still with me....?????

ness

This is a quote that Mick Fleetwood yells out during Fleetwood Mac concerts in his big drum solo.

....and 10 000 happy fans scream back .... YES!!!!

Cheers

Geoff

Hey Vanessa, I just noticed your countdown says you go to Thailnad in 6 days. You've only just got back from holidays. WHAT'S THAT ABOUT:) .

I know, I'm just jealous coz I can't holiday that often.

Really enjoying your review. Keep it coming.

Karen

yep Karen,

barely enough time to do the washing from the last holiday and off again. We work all summer pretty much 7 days a week for 7 months from Oct until May. So we make up for it in Winter. That's how we bought the kids forgiveness for leaving them for a week - 2 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia :D That's why I've gotta hurry this bloody saga of a review along. I'm not getting anything done for next Monday !!

cheers

ness

ps. glad I'm not boring you all yet !

Vanessa

What an amazing review!!! It's is fantastic reading and helping to get me more and more excited about our upcoming cruise - also with no kids like you. We have been waitlisted for a suite but being a school holidays cruise I don't like our chances. Oh well - at least we'll be on the ship!!!!

Rach

good luck on the suite Rach,

we really enjoyed it. Esp. on those days when it was a bit rough when I was a sook and just went back to the cabin and sulked. Until the pre-dinner nibbles came then I cheered up a bit...;)

Don't worry, didn't scare me off completely ! I sort of know a bit more what to expect now and so wouldn't probably be so grumpy about it.

I think I would still go for the suite tho :o I think it's spoilt me up front !!

I'm thinking the Dawn being a bigger boat might be better ?

nance

Because the last 2 'at sea' days sort of mesh into the one bit I think I'll just put it all together to finish off.

One crappy thing that I thought was a bit premature was on Thursday (still technically had 2 and a bit days to go) they give a "disembarkation" session in one of the show lounges. So, we're still in having a holiday mode and they are already telling us how to pack up and get off the bloody thing :mad: We didn't attend the session in protest, but they televised it on the local channel to your cabins anyway. The paperwork arrived about how we were to travel from the ship. We were already booked with the P&O coach back to the airport so didn't have to do anything with that.

I think I've whinged enough about the lumpy sea but the last 2 days weren't any better. I think by that time we really hadn't slept much and it is quite tiring walking like a drunk person - even when sober to keep up with the movement of the ship.

We went to the "Marriage Match Game Show"....no we didn't enter ! Bloody funny ! Adam sent the women out of the room and asked the men where is the most unusual place the couples had performed ...um..intimately. So, the fellows go through their answers of in a car, on the floor in nanna's house etc. then the girls come back and the same question. Some of the answers !! So the girl would say...um...in a forest. Adam would say no..keep going..so the girl would say...um ...shopping centre carpark...Adam would say no..keep going..and they did..meanwhile the hubby is cringing thinking oh my god what's she going to come out with next !!

Thursday night I dragged him to see the last show "G Day G Day". Was very good and even he thought it was quite entertaining ! The entertainment crew work really hard to keep everyone happy and they certainly put a lot of energy into the shows. Another 'guess that tune' in the Dukes piano bar and off to the Starlight lounge to see the building the Champagne waterfall. Well, fall it did. Too bumpy. They nearly got it finished and then about 3 rows on one side fell off with one of the boats shudderings. They still went ahead and took pics with people filliing it up with the 'champers' but I didn't hang around to see if they were going to hand out the glass chard filled rows of glasses still intact !

Overall, we had a fantastic time. Yes, whingey whiney Nance about the lumpy sea. But, I did confess to being a bloody sook so don't pay any attention to me. I don't feel like I've given enough time to the so many other activities they organised on board like, t-shirt painting, ear ring making, quilling (whatever that is !), table tennis, putting tournament, shuffleboard, ballroom dancing lessons, talent show competition and so many other things. So many activities that we didn't investigate, but then we seemed to find our favourite areas and stick to them. As I said before we met some fantastic people on board and will definitely keep in touch. Being our first cruise, I don't think we took full advantage of what was on offer but we were there for a rest and REST we did !

Yes, Yes, Yes....definitely drank too much, ate too much, stayed up too late (I can tell by the extra wrinkles !!) and yes, didn't take full advantage of what was on offer. But, as a first time cruiser, is all I can say is what a hoot !

Disembarkation was a depressing thing but was managed pretty well. We were white 1 and were one of the first groups off (I guess because they new we had flights to meet). To anyone out there reading my review and thinking the rough seas spoilt it....NAH ! Just the uncertainty. Just my problem !

thanks to you all for all your advice and calming help before our first cruise and yes, we will definitely go again ! I guess I'll just have to hang around here now so I can relive the cruise with everyone who goes and comes back ;) :cool:

ness / nance

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the great review so far...you are such a dag!!

Can't help but chuckle as I have some great visuals going on in my head.

I love those lifts that don't take you to where you think you want to be.

There is no such thing as pre-cruise anxiety...just ask any of us!! LOL!!!

It's the post cruise anxiety that gets to me....When is my next cruise!!???

Bring on the dramamine, phenergan and avil I say!!!

10 days to go for me..yay!!!! :D

Kaz

good onya Kaz,

god, I remember my nerves were pretty frayed waiting for the last week to countdown !!

cheers

ness

Hi Ness

Enjoying your reviews.....people keep staring at me funny when i giggle to myself but can't help it your sense of humour is brilliant....you know we are going to be wanting a review on the Thailand trip toooooooooooooo.......lol..cheers shiona

Ah Vanessa that was a great review - so glad to hear that the shifting and shuddering of the ship hasn't put you off .... and that you've confirmed yourself as a 'suite snob'/'balcony snob' ... (half your luck).

We'll be waiting to hear when you book your next cruise!!!:D

ahh now i am sorry the review has come to end. Just like reading the last chapter in your book.

Yes just continue on here with your review of thailand. cant wait to hear what you think of that!!!!

Im sure you wont be sent to the naughter corner for it.

Ness, thank you so much for brightening up our days, helping us get through this waiting game. Hope you enjoy your next trip with the kids and I'm sure any part of your trip that involves a boat is enough for a review to share with us once again. Hope you get some time to rest before you take off.

Well done, Ness. Join us on a cruise and you can be a Suite Snob with keepcruising, her kids said there was no going back. Not sure how they will cope with the cheapest inside cabin next trip.

Absolutely ! and yes, confirmed 'suite snob' :D

I was going to go for a casual stroll along one of the "bowels" cabin decks to see how the rowers were accommodated but chickened out in the end :o

ness

I too would like to thank you for such a detailed and amusing account of your cruise. Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.:)

Enjoy your next trip away - probably gaurenteed that the bed won't rock and roll to much, unless you want it to....if you know what I mean. ;) :p

Archived