R731 Star Review...what a hoot !

SouthAussie100

Hulloo CC family !

We're back :D

Just got in from Brizzy and we're bloody knackered ! I PROMISE I will get into the review asap.

I know, I know, priorities, stop mucking around and just write, um....don't worry about washing etc etc...oops..still swaying :confused:

In short, had a fabulous time, weather was crap and NO I don't like the ship "rocking me to sleep"...more like rocking and rolling and shuddering the crap out of us...but more of that later....in graphic detail.

luv yus

Vanessa

aka...you know :p

Just a quick rant,

Believe it or not, after all my nervousness, the flight was late but we still made it in plenty of time. We arrived at the Brisbane terminal and were told we could board straight away. This was all over within about an hour, embarkation photo complete and on we go.

Experience one, deduce which end of the ship is the front when inside the boat...first embarrassing moment, asking a passing crew person which way is the front, DH cringes and tries to look like we're not together :o Of course the lovely crew person is used to DHs like me (not dear husbands) and points me in the direction of the "very nice room" cabin 1007 on Verandah deck. We proceed to the lifts and find our way to deck 10. Greeted by the lovely Monica. What a legend she turned out to be. And yes, a healthy tip we left for her.

A tip for those first timers intending putting cash on your cruise card, you don't have to go immediately to the pursers desk and wait in the line with all the other DHs (not dear husbands) waiting to put cash on your cards. You have 48 hours to do this. Don't waste time in the line. Head straight to the Lido, have a fabulous lunch and get into the first of the sail away cocktails !

Of course, I HAD to make a casual attempt to get HIM to come to the front of the ship. Hence my immediate need to find the bloody pointy end ! Mission accomplished. Glad the sign worked. Do you reckon I got some ribbing about that. Saw the family on the wharf. You guys are amazing. It was so fabulous to actually have someone to wave to !! Took photos of you guys too and will put up soon. And yet, all the fun he made of me and couldn't wait to tell all about how these cruise fanatics had come to wave us off ! He was talking to a group of people we met in the Lido and so I snuck off again with my camera to see you again.

Went to the Lido and mastered, very quickly, the swipe the cruise card and sign your life away and bugger the consequences. We found the bar staff a little aloof at first. Basically, you have to push in and be a bit up front to get served when it's really busy otherwise you just keep getting pushed to the back. So, elbows up and in you go !

After sail away, we went to the cabin again to unpack and shower etc for dinner in the Bordeaux room. We were seated with 3 other couples from the Verandah deck (of course :p ). These 6 people became our surrogate family on board. All of them from Brisbane and absolutely beautiful people. We've all swapped details and will definitely catch up in the future. One couple is already planning to come and stay at out place late this year ! Excellent :D

Our dinner steward's name was difficult to pronounce so he told us to call him Three. He was a great guy and looked after us a treat. Oh god, how easy is it to overeat !!??? We easily got into the habit of eating 4 courses every dinner. The food was just too fabulous to leave !! The wine list is very good. Being a bit of a wine drinker :p (be quiet Geoff) we were keen to see the extent of the wine list. A well rounded and reasonably priced list we thought.

So, all is going famously and by 9.30ish (after a 5am start) we're starting to feel a little worse for wear and decide to go to bed to catch up on some sleep and hopefully wake up fresh and lovely for Sunday. "rock you to sleep"....HA I say HA !! Maybe being a first time cruise person, my expectation of sea movement was a little ....well...um..ignorant ? Basically, we didn't sleep well at all. Every time I fell asleep, the ship lurched and shuddered and I thought, oh god, this is the first night. I know I know, nervous nellie bloody twit, but I honestly thought...oh dear !

Finally, daylight saved me from complete breakdown and I crawled from the bed. Now I know, more experience CCers were on the same ship and will say "Nance, you're being a DH" (not dear husband) but you know I'm just calling it as I remember it !

The Bonine worked a treat. Absolutely not even a tiny bit of motion sickness. Just anxious about the ship movement etc. There were plenty of sick people though. I heard of one fellow who had 2 black eyes and one of our group asked him if he had been in a fight. Nope, was being so sick he hit his head on the pan and broke his nose :eek: bugger !

Gotta go, more soon. Hope I'm not boring so far and will dig out my notes tomorrow.

cheers

ness

Great tale so far, can't wait to hear more - it is fascinating to hear all the little details, both good and bad. I hadn't really thought about the ship movement being an issue to sleep... hmm have to add that to all the other things to worry about. But is a relief to hear your fellow dinner tablemates were good, that has been my biggest fear so far!

OK Vanessa,

Here is your video of coming back into port this morning (well, you have to share it with the departing Skyrules & Riffraff). I hope you like!

Jo (Minxy), I hope you don't mind me pinching one of the stills you shot at Vanessa's sailaway.

I tracked the tune down because of the B&W cameras, and it fits better than I ever hoped.

To quote Teegie's thread from months ago, this song would be great at sailaway.

Cheers

Hey Vanessa,

I actually saw you a couple of times on board but never actually got up the courage to ask if it was actually you (if you know what I mean??) We had a great time - I had the same thoughts as you about being rocked to sleep work up a couple of times absolutely terrified with scenes from the titanic flashing through my mind -LOL LOL. My husband thought it was great and couldn't see any problems with it at all (he sailed on the Fairstar - 19 years ago between 2 cyclones). The kids absolutely adored kids club we couldnt keep them away. We are up the coast for the next week but will put together some thoughts when we get back. Ms Minx I love the sailaway video, do you know if there is a way to save it to the computer?? The kids are keen to go again so maybe when we save up again we'll be on the seas again.

Bye for now

Sue

Hi Nancy,

Welcome back and thanks for a great report - thus far!.

I love your inimitable writing style. Brought back memories for this DH(Yes - Dear Husband !!) both good (all the food & meeting other CCers) - and bad (the creaking and shuddering !).

Look forward to more, when you've learned to walk straight again !

Mac

Ms Minx I love the sailaway video' date=' do you know if there is a way to save it to the computer??[/quote']

There's a program called Tubesock that is Mac and PC compatible. You copy the video's URL to it and it saves it to your computer :) It's not free though, costs about US$15.

If you like I can burn the sailaway video to a disc for you and send it in the post. Vanessa, the offer applies to you too :D My email is jrm1974@gmail.com if you want to email me your address :D And don't worry about postage - I run the franking machine at work if you know what I mean??? ;) :D

Jo (Minxy), I hope you don't mind me pinching one of the stills you shot at Vanessa's sailaway

Go for it Geoff - feel free :D:D

I'm just waiting for the link to download in youtube so I can watch it myself :D (STILL stuck on dialup - boo hiss!!)

Vanessa - loving your review :) I didn't realise you were up on snob hill in the ship? Half your luck woman!!

By the way - was that your DH (yes, dear husband) who lifted his shirt just before sailaway? hahahaha I didn't get any shots of it ;)

Can wait to hear the rest of your review and see some pics :D

Hey Vanessa' date='

I actually saw you a couple of times on board but never actually got up the courage to ask if it was actually you (if you know what I mean??) We had a great time - I had the same thoughts as you about being rocked to sleep work up a couple of times absolutely terrified with scenes from the titanic flashing through my mind -LOL LOL. My husband thought it was great and couldn't see any problems with it at all (he sailed on the Fairstar - 19 years ago between 2 cyclones). The kids absolutely adored kids club we couldnt keep them away. We are up the coast for the next week but will put together some thoughts when we get back. Ms Minx I love the sailaway video, do you know if there is a way to save it to the computer?? The kids are keen to go again so maybe when we save up again we'll be on the seas again.

Bye for now

Sue[/quote']

Oh my God Sue !! why didn't you say something !!!??? Did you see there was a big group of passengers with the "just cruising" t-shirts ? I asked them if they were CCers but they were celebrating a double 50th birthday and just thought I was some weirdo :eek: Bugger !

Archived