Florence: Need help choosing museums

My fiance and I are on the NCL Gem in exactly a month. Always, the challenge is cramming a lot into busy days at port, and our stop in Livorno/Florence is no exception.

By the time we make it to Florence, we're expecting to have, at most, seven hours to see the city. More likely, we'll be looking at just six hours. We need some serious help slimming down our list of things to see and do in Florence, especially since a few of these museums might require substantial time.

Do you all have any suggestions? In particular, I'd love to know what museum folks recommend, if you can only pick one, and the choices are the Galleria dell Accademia (home to David), the Duomo museum (home to works by Donatello and Michelangelo) and the Uffizi Gallery (home to art by da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael, as well as Botticelli's "Birth of Venus").

We're trying to decide now, in the hopes of making a few advance reservations.

Right now, we're most interested in:

- Climbing the 400+ steps of the tower at the Gothic-era Duomo.

- Visiting the open air market surrounding the Church of San Lorenzo, where folks sell produce, leather goods and jewelry.

- Eating gelato at La Bottega del Gelato Bar or Gelateria Vivoli.

- The Galleria dell Accademia (home to David)

- The Duomo museum (home to works by Donatello and Michelangelo)

- The Uffizi Gallery (home to art by da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael, as well as Botticelli's "Birth of Venus")

Jen.

Hi, I was in Florence this August, and I have to say that it is the most beautiful city I have ever been to. We went to the Galleria del Accademia, and David was amazing. However, that is the main attraction of this gallery,the rest of the stuff was mainly church art, with the exception of the plaster work for the Rape of the Sabine Woman. One thing to take into account when on a tight time budget is that this gallery is not a big time taker. If you don't want to do the gallery, but want a peak at David- stand by the exit door. When someone opens the door to come out, there is a brilliant view of the statue through the door- yes really.Maybe if you are really interested in spending more time in the galleries choose another one. But, this one suited our needs. A must if booking galleries is to book online http://www.FlorenceArt.it You book a time- we got in no trouble 30 mins early. This way you bypass all of the queues.

If I could add another MUST SEE to your list, go to the Piazza dela Signora. Here is the Loggia di Orcagna, an outdoor collection of amazing statues, including the original Rape of the Sabine Woman, statue of Neptune and a copy of David. etc etc. It is free to just wander around. If you visit the Duomo the lines are much shorter late afternoon. I bought the Eyewitness Pocket Travel Guide for Florence, and found it invaluable. We only had one day in Florence, but it was unforgettable. Hope you like it as much as we did.

I second the Uffizi. If you are really a museum person (as I am), you'll have to keep yourself to a tight schedule as you will want to linger longer than you can afford there.

I'd recommend the Bargello museum over the Duomo museum, if you like sculpture.

I agree the best (some say only) reason to go to Accademia is to see David (minus) but it won't take long, particularly if you do make a reservation in advance (plus).

Also, don't miss the beautiful bronze doors on the Baptistery (by the Duomo), they're free and don't take long, but certainly have that wow factor (to me anyway).

We were in Florence last week. Have seen David, haven't done the Uffizi, but would haved loved to. Make sure you get a reservation, the line up was 3 hours...that's way too much time to be spending in a line up in Florence. The Santa Croce Church was a highlight for us.

Do you all have any suggestions? In particular, I'd love to know what museum folks recommend, if you can only pick one, and the choices are the Galleria dell Accademia (home to David), the Duomo museum (home to works by Donatello and Michelangelo) and the Uffizi Gallery (home to art by da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael, as well as Botticelli's "Birth of Venus").

- Visiting the open air market surrounding the Church of San Lorenzo, where folks sell produce, leather goods and jewelry.

- The Uffizi Gallery (home to art by da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael, as well as Botticelli's "Birth of Venus")

Jen.

Jen,

I would put the Duomo museum on the "maybe if we have time" list and not on the "must do" list.

I spent four nights in Firenze and still wished I had more time, but here is what I recommend for your 6-7 hours.

"MUST DO"

- duomo

- uffizi

- academia

- walk across ponte vecchio

- open air market

- walk up piazza michelangelo (but it's a little ways out of the city center. however, the views are spectacular!)

"MAYBE"

- top of the duomo climb

- duomo museum (you'll see plenty of masterpieces at the uffize and academia already)

- open air market at santa croce (but i think it's only on weekends)

As for the gelato, the place where you want to go is (if I remember correctly) expensive. There are gelateria's EVERYWHERE! So stop by on your way from one site to another (and it's cheaper). My friends and I had a strict gelato eating schedule of one every 90 minutes and never had to look too far to find a gelateria.

My fiance and I are on the NCL Gem in exactly a month. Always, the challenge is cramming a lot into busy days at port, and our stop in Livorno/Florence is no exception.

By the time we make it to Florence, we're expecting to have, at most, seven hours to see the city. More likely, we'll be looking at just six hours. We need some serious help slimming down our list of things to see and do in Florence, especially since a few of these museums might require substantial time.

Jen.

Do not miss the Medici Chapels! It was a highlight. The Pistachio gelato is great. My Dh and I got from two diff places and it was the same.

Btw, the chapels are part of the Church of St Lorenzo. Just walk around the corner after you get out of the Chapels.

I second the Uffizi. If you are really a museum person (as I am), you'll have to keep yourself to a tight schedule as you will want to linger longer than you can afford there.

I'd recommend the Bargello museum over the Duomo museum, if you like sculpture.

I agree the best (some say only) reason to go to Accademia is to see David (minus) but it won't take long, particularly if you do make a reservation in advance (plus).

Also, don't miss the beautiful bronze doors on the Baptistery (by the Duomo), they're free and don't take long, but certainly have that wow factor (to me anyway).

The original doors are usually in the Duomo museum, but either in NY right now or on their way.

Wow, these are great, great tips. We had ponte vecchio on our bigger list, so it's good to have that affirmed as a smart option.

I'm not surprised the gelato places we had down were pricey; they've been heavily recommended in some of the travel books and by Rick Steves, so I'm sure any tourist buzz has caused some inflation. I fully expect to be indulging regularly. :)

I'll have to see just how important the original David is to my fiance.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have done Uffizi, how much time did you spend there?

Jen.

Wow, these are great, great tips. We had ponte vecchio on our bigger list, so it's good to have that affirmed as a smart option.

I'm not surprised the gelato places we had down were pricey; they've been heavily recommended in some of the travel books and by Rick Steves, so I'm sure any tourist buzz has caused some inflation. I fully expect to be indulging regularly. :)

I'll have to see just how important the original David is to my fiance.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have done Uffizi, how much time did you spend there?

Jen.

I spent almost 3 hours in the Uffizi. I had more in Florence than you have, so I went three hours before it closed and the line was 30 minutes. Since you're on a tight schedule, you should most definitely make a reservation. I think it's an extra $18 per person (but I could be wrong) and it's worth it if time is of the essence.

Ciao!

Since you're on a tight schedule, you should most definitely make a reservation. I think it's an extra $18 per person (but I could be wrong) and it's worth it if time is of the essence.

I spent nine jam-packed days in Florence and still didn't see everything. The Uffizi is definitely The One Thing that you absolutely must see! We bought our timed tickets online ahead of time, and when we arrived, we just breezed right in, no waiting in lines. Others who had not done so were waiting in line apparently for HOURS. The above poster is absolutely right!

We're art-nuts, so we spent at least five hours in there, viewing every single thing they've got. At one point we stopped to eat in their roof-top cafe; then we headed right back inside! You might not be such a museum fanatic as that, but at least it gives you an idea of how big the place is, and how much there is to see there!

Archived