Will be on the PG soon, have a few questions...

Pom mom

Hi, everyone,

My husband and I will be on the 7 day PG trip beginning Sept. 22 and it is becoming real...we are actually going on this dream trip! Anyway, to get to my questions...

-we both take several prescription medications. Is it okay to put them in the weekly reminder boxes like I use at home, or do I need to leave them in their large original pharmacy bottles? Do Air Tahiti Nui or customs care either way?

-Jim B. was kind enough to email me his packing list several weeks ago, thank you, again, Jim. I was wondering if there was anything in particular anyone didn't bring that they wish they had? We plan to travel light, but don't want to be sorry we didn't bring something. Ideas/experiences anyone? For example, how is the library? I am the quiet type and envision lovely time on the balcony with a book and a drink. I read just about anything except science fiction...should I take up suitcase room with a few paperbacks or is the library pretty good?

-can anyone share where they found the prettiest pareos- ones actually locally made? Will be looking for those to bring back to our daughters.

-I have read that the shop on the PG has pearls very similar in quality and price to shops off the ship. Can anyone comment on that? I'm not looking to break the bank, I've still got 2 kids to put through college (2 down, 2 to go!) I'd just like a simple drop souvenir for myself.

-We have booked a few excursions, but also would like to just get off the ship and walk around...is that easily done on the different islands?

-That's all that comes to mind right now and I know this is getting long. Thank you all for sharing your trips/ideas with me through these boards.

-Pom mom

Hi Pom mom,

First of all, always carry medications in their original containers, in your carry-on luggage.

No library on a ship is large enough to keep everything . The library on the PG actually may have faced a space restraints as they are located in a hallway, so its important to know that if you're a fussy reader to bring your own, but like you I read almost anything except SF and I found enough to read. I actually found it difficult to find the time to read and I'm an avid reader.

There is an international market in downtown Tahiti that is ideal for buying pareo's and other gifts to bring home. They have coconut soaps, vanilla beans, shell lei's, wood carvings, hats, baskets, etc.

They do have a shop on the ship that carries black pearls. She will give a talk and many people bought from her.

You can walk on any of the islands although the ideal way to discover the inland beauty of Bora Bora and Moorea is an island excursion with a knowledgeable tour guide. There are many reliable taxi cab drivers that will be glad to show you the wonders of nature on their islands.

tthe bustling public market on Tahiti, located in Papeete, is ideal for finding picnic items as well as colorful pareas and other souvenirs. Tahiti is known for its magnificient black pearls, cocoanut and tiare soaps, manoi oil, vanilla beans, Hinano beer, shell leis, wood carvings and woven hats and basketshe bustling public market on Tahiti, located in Papeete, is ideal for finding picnic items as well as colorful pareas and other souvenirs. Tahiti is known for its magnificient black pearls, cocoanut and tiare soaps, manoi oil, vanilla beans, Hinano beer, shell leis, wood carvings and woven hats and baskets

Hi, lucky you, you will have a wonderful time!

As for pareos, frankly I've never found any pretty ones that are locally made. All my favourites are made in Indonesia. So good luck with that. I have one cotton tie-dyed that I got in Moorea, and it's really nothing special. Sorry.

I bought a pearl from the ship's vendor, Tahia Collins. They also have lots of more stock at their store in Moorea, so if you can wait until then, there's a free shuttle to the store. Worth it, just to see all the amazing pearls. They are awesome.

Walking around is easy in Bora Bora, although there's not much to see--a church or two, an art gallery or two.

While it is safer to bring your pills in the original containers, no one looked nor frankly did I think would think of looking at them. Customs is pretty tourist friendly.

The library on board is not good at all; especially if you are one interested enough to ask. I would plan on bringing your reading material. In a pinch you may find something, but it very limited and not terribly up to date.

The only locally made pareos are ones which look tie-dyed or similar (with or without white images over or underlayed. Most everyone of the colorful printed pareos are from Indonesia. This is not only per the National Geographic anthropologist, but the tags which are not removed in some shops. (We found the best local ones here and there, not in a particular shop or Le Marche in Tahiti.)

As for pearls, it depends on what you are looking for. You can spend US$5,000 for a single pearl or US$500 for an attractive pendent. The ship's prices were OK (and some local prices were frankly ridiculously high), but I found some nice shops in the back streets that seemed reputable and had some pretty original stuff at good prices. Note: Buy the pearls and don't get hung up on fancy settings. Gold, diamonds and setting work is extremely expensive in FP; loose pearls or simply set ones are the way to go. If you don't focus you will pay more in FP than you will at home!

Dependent on where you are and what you want to do, some ports are more easily "take a walk around" and others are not. Hard to give a port by port description without knowing what you might want to do or what you have planned for excursions. Generally though excursions will get you where you want to be.

As for packing, it is pretty easy stuff. Most important, I found, was a good pair of water shoes that dry in a reasonable amount of time. If you burn, a rash guard works much better than a T-shirt.

Hope this helps.

We were on the PG two years ago and will be going again next year. I bought a simple pair of drop earrings with a small diamond from the ship. I think I got a good value and didn't spend a lot of time looking at pearl shops in port. The vendor on the ship has a good reputation, I believe.

I always bring a couple paperback books and leave them behind when I finish them to share with whoever wants them.

I probably took too many clothes.

Our TA had a beach bag sent to our cabin as a thank you and we used it every time we went on a beach/water excursion. Didn't worry about sand, wet towels, etc. as it had a waterproof lining. Very handy!

Be sure to bring good sun protection--hat, shirt for snorkeling if you burn, and really good suntan lotion.

I'd love a little pinky ring with a simple pearl to match my green stone that I wear on my index finger in a sterling silver setting. Anyone know where the best place is to find this? I guess it could almost be a child's ring, since it's for the pinky and I have skinny fingers to begin with!

I brought 3 paperback books- didn't look at one while we were in Tahiti (just read on the plane). I was fascinated, lounging on the balcony, sipping my wine, (or coffee, depending on the time of day), and gazing at the beautiful scenery. I figured I could read anytime, but I would only be able to enjoy Tahiti for 2 weeks. Learned my lesson, so that when we were on the Mariner in Alaska in July, I also saved my books for the plane...

We bought a beautiful necklace/ earrings for me at Tahia Collins in Moorea, and we bought our daughters plain pearls at a pearl shop in Le Marche. I saw beautiful hand printed pareos at a shop in Huahine during our post-cruise. I didn't buy it because it was over $50, but now I regret it. We went on Regent excursions on all the islands- the one I enjoyed most was an afternoon catamaran sail on Moorea- it had some snorkling opportunities, but the sailing was the highlight, especially since it was at the end of the week, and we were sailing with people we had met on the cruise and enjoyed their company.

I agree about the library--you can get by, there's not nothing, but it's sparse. I managed to find a few mysteries, if that's your passion, but really very few. There is some history, however, as I remember.

I also agree that there's surprisingly little time to read.

My favourite pareos are actually both rayon from the usual place, but two-toned, not the multi-coloured ones like the Gauguines often wear (I have some of those too, and they are pretty enough to be wall-hangings.) My absolute favourite is dark blue with aqua hibiscus. It has worn really well, is soft and comfortable, and the colours are still vibrant. I can't remember where I got it, but I saw something similar in a little shop near the dock at Raiatea, one of the few that was open on Sunday. The Marche in Papeete also has tons of pareos, of course.

Things I wish I had brought--binoculars--meant to bring them but forgot. It would have been nice to look at the islands from the deck.

I brought a bunch of books as I am an avid reader--only read on the plane and airport. Library is small, but adequate as there is little time to read.

Walking around is possible on Bora Bora. On Moorea, we rented a car at the dock and drove around. Of course, dock in Papeete is right downtown and ideal for walking in the evening if you desire. I was too busy packing.

Forgot the pharmacy question--sorry! They don't look or care. I am a physician and as such I carry a mini-pharmacy with me whenever we travel. Way more different drugs than any one person would normally have and most are in sample packets. We travel outside the US 4-6 times per year, including Central and South America. Have never had any questions asked in 15 years of doing this.

The library is along a hallway wall, and at first, looks like it would be pretty unlikely to have much of interest to read. However, it is not too bad for what it is; I would be surprised if you didn't find something that you like. My wife read a book about how the White House experience affected the presidents' families who lived there, and I read about 60 pages of a Jimmy Stewart biography (which I liked, but had too many other things going to read more while on the cruise). We both saw other books we would have liked to have read if we had had the time. If space is an issue, you can probably leave the books home (except for what you'll want to read on the plane).

We found homemade pareos on Bora Bora on a 4x4 excursion we took through the ship. There was a bathroom / snack break scheduled at this shop which was at a scenic overlook. The man who designs the pareos is there working while his wife handles sales. The pareos are nice and not too expensive. There are also handmade ones on Moorea not too far from the airport. They have a sign along the road saying they are $11. We meant to stop when we went by again later, but you know how that goes.

Thanks to this forum, and Jim B., we had pretty much everything we needed. I was glad to have the binoculars. We used them a fair amount for observations from the balcony.

We bought a pearl pendant for my wife, and a small one for our daughter, on Moorea at Tahia Collins. We were very happy with our experience there. We knew other people visited The Farm on Bora Bora and were happy with what they got there. That's a place which will give you an overview of how Tahitian pearls are made, and you can get that info for free. We paid for a black pearl farm tour on Rangiroa and could have saved the $35 each if we had known about The Farm. There are several other good pearl shops, i.e. Ron Hall's (Moorea), and a good one on the main road near the dock in Bora Bora.

Thinking about it, I think the best value for black pearl jewelry was at Palma d'Or in Raiatea aobut 3 blocks from the ship and to the right. It had some original pieces and probably the best prices.

I believe the ship's store has a relationship with Tahia Collins, which is also present in Tahiti near the dock.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. Took a lot of notes. Only a few more days now! I dreamed last night that I forgot to get the passports out of the safety deposit box and didn't realize it until trying to board the plane. Needless to say, I'm on my way to the bank this morning! Thanks again and anyone who might have anything else to add, feel free, we don't leave until the 22nd. All info and tips welcome. :D

You sound as if you are very well prepared. We just returned home yesterday from our 14 day cruise on the PG. It was wonderful. Can't say enough good things about it. We thought the food was very good. I am also an avid reader and did bring 5 books with me. I read 2 of them on the plane, coming and going, and only a few pages while onboard. You are just too busy! I though the library, which is on the 6th floor as you enter the La Verandah rest. had a good selection of books. I love mysteries and they had many of those plus ( I thought) a good selection of others.

We bought our daughters pearls from the market in Papeete at a good price. Go to the 2nd floor and way in the back ( when you get off the elevator you will be facing one of the back walls walk that way) . I though they had very good prices and the young lady was very helpful. I bought mine in Bora Bora because I loved the setting. I thought the prices on the ship were very expensive. Just keep looking and you will find your price range and what you truly love. There are pearl shops all over!

I bought my first pareo on Papeete the night we left 9 from the market) and then 2 others on Moorea. I paid about $11 for each of them. The market has some for $20 for 3. My daughters loved them. Also buy some Monoi oil. It is a great moisturizer and you will see it all over. I found mine in a local grocery store for $3.00 a bottle. You will also see it at the market but it is about $5 to $8.00 a bottle. A great gift and I love it too.

Pack light. You really don't need much except for dinner at night.

have a wonderful time. you will love it.

Micked10

Archived