Fun Door Signs?

bigbreeze

You trying to scare your steward???!!! Just joking, have a fantastic first voyage! After one cruise, you'll be as addicted as the rest of us. See you on the boards again. Bon Voyage!:)

Much appreciated! No problem with the steward, they get paid for stuff like this...in the military its called "“hazardous duty pay" :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't want to do alot of decorating - maybe something hung on the door handle in order to identify our cabin more quickly. also thought about a magnetic note pad or dry erase so we can leave notes for another couple we're traveling with. Are the doors on Oosterdam metal?

For our cruise around the Med earlier this month, I made our door sign, using a map of the cruise and adding pictures of each port of call around the outside, plus a few bits of clip art to liven up the gaps between ports. As it was OH birthday, Princess posted a card on our cabin door and some balloons. Then as it was coming up to the Queen´s Jubilee, I added some bunting. However on this cruise, I didn´t see any other decorated doors.

We´re off around Australia next year, so has anyone some suggestions/examples for more exotic decorations for that cruise?

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

Yeh, we have our sign almost complete -- I created it, by walking through Michael's, also, and a little creativity of my own, plus am using the poster "putty" to attach to door (no matter if it's metal or wood) -- that way, it will come off, easy, leaving no damage -- We only put our first names on sign, in a "greetings" message. The size is 11 x 14, because I wanted to be able to fit it in bottom of suitcase, to travel, so it would lie flat, that is if it doesn't get mishandled by a random security check! ha.

From what I've read, people get really creative and it's just another way to have fun, on the cruise, and not damaging to anything! Plus it's a good way to "meet" people, too. NOT saying what our sign looks like here..........you'll just have to be on the Statendam, Sept. 9, 2012, going to Alaska, to see it!

AND we are counting the days!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I LOVE the idea of magnetic letters to leave notes and messages! How funny it must be when passersby rearrange the letters to leave US notes. LOL

Does anyone know if the doors are metal on Adventure of the Seas? I would love to use these!

There were metal doors on Navigator of the Seas.

I loved having our door decorated, easy to find and many vistors checking it out.

Have fun!

Thanks! If NOS doors are metal then AOS must be too. Cool. That will be fun! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on two previous cruises and didn't notice any door decorations but this sounds like a cool way to express myself and identify my cabin. I'm sure we may need that as we have the premium alcohol package for this one :D

It is for our 31st anniversary (30th is the end of this month and just couldn't manage it financially or time wise) Feb 2014. It is also just after DH's 50th birthday and hopefully my graduation for my MBA. I was thinking of doing a type of storyboard w/a wedding pic, and other pics of significant events ending with a new pic of us for the 31st anniv. I know I'm silly but I like the idea of people recognizing us and wishing us a happy anniversary. We married very young (16 & 19) so most people figured it wouldn't last and of course we don't look old enough to have been married this long. :o

I have been on two previous cruises and didn't notice any door decorations but this sounds like a cool way to express myself and identify my cabin. I'm sure we may need that as we have the premium alcohol package for this one :D

It is for our 31st anniversary (30th is the end of this month and just couldn't manage it financially or time wise) Feb 2014. It is also just after DH's 50th birthday and hopefully my graduation for my MBA. I was thinking of doing a type of storyboard w/a wedding pic, and other pics of significant events ending with a new pic of us for the 31st anniv. I know I'm silly but I like the idea of people recognizing us and wishing us a happy anniversary. We married very young (16 & 19) so most people figured it wouldn't last and of course we don't look old enough to have been married this long. :o

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!!! :D

Happy Anniversary to you both.... and I hope you share many more !

We always do Cabin Door Signs ....and I do sell them on the side(but do not advertise this) as something fun to do in my retirement years....I don't sell them to make money the cost only puts back product into my Card Stock for the backgrounds....Yes go ahead and do a collection of your life together that would be awesome.... and don't forget to snap a picture so we can all see what you have done when it is complete ok?

What Cruise Line are you going on? Carnival always has cabin door signs I thought...that is the only Cruise Line we use.....have tried RC and Holland America and Princess...but we always go back to CCL...........Kathi

We have only cruised on NCL and honestly out of three cruises no one had decorated doors unless they were in a "group" I didn't care - we still decorated ours and knew exactly where our room was. We could hear others in the hall mention that they were on the right deck as they saw our sign.

So HAVE FUN and go for the decorated door!

YES, go ahead and decorate.....have fun.....and congrats to you both -- I created an 11 x 14 size with our home state (Florida), and made design on it, like a collage of different photographs that my husband has taken through the years, and pasted them in locations around the "map". Hard to explain, but it's fun to think up a fun project, for that, and good way to find your cabin, on those LONNNGGGGG hallways. LOL

If this works, am going to attach a pic of our door......can't really see much, with the size, but you get the idea. HAVE FUN!!!!

2046038244_DSC_1582LowRes.jpg.804fe8beba203efdc62eb873111fc326.jpg

There was a method to my madness on the size.....it fit perfectly in our carry-on, and would lay flat, without getting messed up....made it from poster board, then had it laminated; affixed to the door with the "poster puddy" stuff, and stayed on the door the whole time! I also only put our first names on it, no last names.

Have fun!

travelbutterfly I also Never use last names and Never the City were anyone is from ...but I do use the State, as some come along way to go out of sunny Florida's Ports,and it's nice to walk down a corridor and see a door sign that has the State they are from on it....I also use Head shots sometimes like inside of life rafts or bubbles....I will try and put a pic of our Cabin Door sign this April...it might be very small ,but you can get the idea of it...

It's the one with the Beach Bucket on it and stars that light up on the bottom and it is Blue....not sure how to do this so let me know if it came through ok???

pictures

yes, palmtree12345, came through; Agree, no last names, either and no city - I just put "central" Florida on ours......beach bucket idea sounds good......lots of ideas, with a walk through a craft store-- lol -- our sister-in-law made her door decor out of those little sponge type cut-out things, that are so popular now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailing on the NCL Gem in August 2013. I know their doors are metal but are slatted and not smooth. How do you attach signs to them? We were very disappointed when our magnets did not hold signs well on a rough surface.

We have two different signs, depending on what kind of day/night we're dealing with, as three of us have Aspergers, lol. We're all mad LOTR fans, so one says

"SPEAK FRIEND AND ENTER" and the other one says "ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR". We're hoping for minimal Mordor days, fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...
Any ideas for a fun door sign for our cabin? Do they allow this? I'd like to but something nice about my girlfriend...I love Kelly! but would rather do something that's more clever and maybe not so personal with her name. Hmmmm

I went to vista print dot com and made a magnetic door sign for about $7. Thing is, I couldn't use it on the Rotterdam, as the doors were not metallic. But I also usually have photos of penguins to post on my door with some tape. It's always nice to find your door easily in those long hallways.

• 2 months later...
I have taken those cheesy magnetic letters and leave notes for people as they walk by, but you should read some of the notes that have been left for us by those same people! :eek:

love that idea!!!!! i am soooo going to do that from now on.