Complimentary drinks during Captains party ?

doxiegal

I am going on the Adventure of the Seas 10-07-07 and was wondering if during the welcome aboard captains party, if they serve complimentary cocktails ? I was on the Carnival Imagination last week, and at their welcome aboard captains party they did. I have never attended the party on any of our past RCCL cruises, and was just wondering if they serve the comp. drinks also.

I am going on the Adventure of the Seas 10-07-07 and was wondering if during the welcome aboard captains party, if they serve complimentary cocktails ? I was on the Carnival Imagination last week, and at their welcome aboard captains party they did. I have never attended the party on any of our past RCCL cruises, and was just wondering if they serve the comp. drinks also.

I went to the Captain's party or welcome or whatever it was called two weeks ago when I was on VOS. There was champagne and it was courtesy of the captain.

Yes they do.......and you don't have to just have the champange or punch the waiters are passing out...you can order your drink of choice as well.....:D

We were able to do this last year on the Explorer and in March on the Brilliance, but when we were on the Serenade in August for neither the Captain's Party or the past guest party were we able to. I was very disappointed because they had wine, some sort of drink with southern comfort I think and a non-alcoholic fruit punch. We asked two different waiters and they wouldn't take requests.

I have never had a problem in getting a special request drink. Admittedly it takes a little longer to get a special order so just grab a glass of champagne to sip on til the other arrives. :cool:

The last couple times we were on a Voyager class ship, the captain's party was in the Royal Promenade and it was packed. Waiters were only walking around with champagne. I can't imagine how anyone could have gotten a special order in that situation. The captain and cruise director and company would give their speech from the bridge over the Promenade. Any time the captain's party is in one of the lounges, we've been able to order specific drinks.

Tim

Thanks for the quick replies. When we were on Carnival last week, they had a whole array of free drinks available. I had 3 screwdrivers and my hubby had a couple of whiskey sours and a glass of champagne. It was complimentary drinks for a hour and a half. Nice to know that RCCL also does this. I will make it a point to get to the Captains party when we are on AOS next month. There are very few things complimentary on a cruise, you might as well take advantage of those things that are.

Hmm.... seems to vary on RCCL ships. Always "champagne-not" of course!!

On our last cruise we asked for Bailey's and a lovely waitress thereonafter plied us with triple Baileys at all the parties!! We are not drinkers and thoroughly enjoyed the parties for a change!! hehehe!!!! However, we were informed that they wouldn't do cocktails such as Pina Colada etc. Not too sure about Martinis though.

I have never not gotten what ever I wanted (I don't do frozen drinks or martini's though)...sometimes it takes alittle coaxing to get them to give ya something other than what they're serving, but it works.....the other thing that works is , is alittle palm greasing....a buck or 2 after that 1st drnk, they'll be back when you flag'em down again...."oh, would you like another one of those"............"as a matter a fact".......

All you have to do is go to the bar! Don't ask the "roving waiters", since they are busy!!! You won't get "top-shelf" liquor or fancy "foo-foo" drinks, but if a vodka-tonic or simple martini is what you want, then go to the bar and ask! (Do tip the bartender!!!! It's the "couth" thing to do!)

All you have to do is go to the bar! Don't ask the "roving waiters", since they are busy!!! You won't get "top-shelf" liquor or fancy "foo-foo" drinks, but if a vodka-tonic or simple martini is what you want, then go to the bar and ask! (Do tip the bartender!!!! It's the "couth" thing to do!)

Thanks for the "tip."

After being turned down by the roving waiters, hubby went up to the bar on the Serenade in August and they said " no, special requests" I don't know if it was specific to the Serenade or if the policy is changing. I was very disappointed as I don't drink any of the things they were serving. I wasn't asking for anything special I drink vodka gimlets which is basically lime juice, sugar and vodka and I don't care what brand of vodka.

Who has been on a cruise in the last 2 months? Were you able to get something special?

After being turned down by the roving waiters, hubby went up to the bar on the Serenade in August and they said " no, special requests" I don't know if it was specific to the Serenade or if the policy is changing. I was very disappointed as I don't drink any of the things they were serving. I wasn't asking for anything special I drink vodka gimlets which is basically lime juice, sugar and vodka and I don't care what brand of vodka.

Who has been on a cruise in the last 2 months? Were you able to get something special?

That surprises me, I have been on many RCCL cruises and have always ordered something other than what they are serving (mostly cause I dont like the choices they are offering). And yes I was on a cruise three weeks ago and we all ordered different drinks.

That surprises me, I have been on many RCCL cruises and have always ordered something other than what they are serving (mostly cause I dont like the choices they are offering). And yes I was on a cruise three weeks ago and we all ordered different drinks.

We hadn't had any problems with ordering different things before this so I don't know if it was specific to the Serenade. Even the hor'doevres (sp) were very different on the Serenade for both the Captain's Party and the past guest party. On the Brilliance they had tables set up all around the colony club with a buffet type setup with all kinds of yummy things as well as having roving waiters with hot things. On the Serenade the roving waiters just had a choice of 3 or 4 different things and that was it. So maybe they do it differently on the Serenade.

So are you saying that I can order a chocolate Martini?:D Oh Lord I will be loving that.The party is for how long 0002014B.gif

Downside of ordering special drinks is the bar is set up to provide some basics, champagne, red wine, white wine, blush wine, and a few mixed drinks, like a screwdriver or Pina colada. Ordering a special means that they take your order and you won't have a drink immediately. I usually just grab a glass of sparkling and enjoying it (even though it is a cheap Spanish Cava). It fits the spirit of the gathering a lot better for toasting than a chocolate martini.

jc

Remember, the Welcome Aboard Reception hosted by the Captain is for everyone regardless of C & A status or even membership. I've never seen hot hors d'eurves there. Then there's the Welcome Back reception, for just the platinum and above members by invitation only, that's where I've seen snacks as well as cocktails to order.

Remember, the Welcome Aboard Reception hosted by the Captain is for everyone regardless of C & A status or even membership. I've never seen hot hors d'eurves there. Then there's the Welcome Back reception, for just the platinum and above members by invitation only, that's where I've seen snacks as well as cocktails to order.

That's not entirely true. I was invited to the Captain's welcome back reception on my recent Adventure cruise even though it was only my second and I was only a gold member. I think they have one party that all past guests are invited to, and then another that only platinum and above get invited to. Our next cruise will make us platinum - does anyone know whether it's worth speaking to the Loyalty Ambassador to see if we can get recognized as platinum so that we can be invited to both? It will be our first 9 night cruise and it might be nice to have an additional event to look forward to.

I believe you are correct Beth. I know that there is normally a repeaters party for all C&A members and then there is another Platinum and Diamond party in addition to the regular Captain's gala. On my last RCI cruise last February, because it was a 5 day out of Galveston with a large group of which I was part of. There were only about 20 Platinum or Diamond members on board. It was the best party of all-time for me, as it was really 20 passengers and the ships officers and hotel directors. Unlike most of these events I actually had a long discussion with several officers including the very young captain, who went out of his way to speak to my wife and I over the rest of the cruise. I am totally not into celebrity worship, and I hate pretend wannabees that pretend that they are on personal terms with certain ships officers. It was very pleasant to actually have had an in depth conversation with these folks and to share a good laugh or two with them. It was only 18 months ago and I don't remember a single one of their names and I am certain that it is mutual.:D

jc

Archived