For those of you who have driven from Boston to NYC

mbe30

How long did it take you, what time did you leave your house in the morning, and how much traffic did you get stuck in? I'm trying to figure out what time to leave home. My sisters want to leave at 5:30 in the morning, but I think that's going to get us to NY at around 10:00. I do not relish the idea of getting up way too early only to sit in the terminal for 2 1/2 hours. I'd appreciate any experiences you've had with this. Thanks!!

We drive to NYC a couple of times a year. It generally takes me about 4 hours but the last time we went it took 6 1/2 hours!!! It really depends on when you are going. Our last drive was on a Friday night of a three day weekend, never doing that again:eek: Personally, I would leave on the early side, nothing worse than starting a vacation off stressed.

It should take 4- 41/2 hours but can take more. I would leave slightly later because you don't want to catch the end of the rush hour. If you leave 6-6:30 you are aiming for about 11 am which gives you leeway if there is traffic and also aims to be slightly after the rush hour.

That last couple of miles, on the Bruckner, just before the Triboro, is a killer. I've gotten from Boston to the Triboro in 3.5 hours, only to spend another 2 hours in traffic.

How long did it take you, what time did you leave your house in the morning, and how much traffic did you get stuck in? I'm trying to figure out what time to leave home. My sisters want to leave at 5:30 in the morning, but I think that's going to get us to NY at around 10:00. I do not relish the idea of getting up way too early only to sit in the terminal for 2 1/2 hours. I'd appreciate any experiences you've had with this. Thanks!!

That last couple of miles, on the Bruckner, just before the Triboro, is a killer. I've gotten from Boston to the Triboro in 3.5 hours, only to spend another 2 hours in traffic.

well that's simple avoid the Bruckner at all costs and the truck routes if possible. There are alternates that avoid the truck routes into the City that make the drive much nicer and generally easier.

I use the Merritt parkway ct 15(which you pick up just south of Hartford on 91 or just west of New Haven on 95) to the Hutchinson river parkway to the cross county parkway to the Sawmill river to the westside highway to the Manhattan piers(its where the Westside ends) if you are going to the Manhattan piers. if you are going to the Brooklyn one just continue down west st/12th avenue to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Rte 9A north of the piers is the Henry Hudson, south of the piers it's the Westside Highway.

well that's simple avoid the Bruckner at all costs and the truck routes if possible. There are alternates that avoid the truck routes into the City that make the drive much nicer and generally easier.

I use the Merritt parkway ct 15(which you pick up just south of Hartford on 91 or just west of New Haven on 95) to the Hutchinson river parkway to the cross county parkway to the Sawmill river to the westside highway to the Manhattan piers(its where the Westside ends) if you are going to the Manhattan piers. if you are going to the Brooklyn one just continue down west st/12th avenue to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Go on mapquest and map it from your house. S. Meyer has the route down, also. It took us four hours with two stops to stretch, get coffee, etc. We live north of Boston and loved going to New York to cruise. Only glitch was grid lock for about twenty minutes before approaching the pier. They had heavy security and dogs were sniffing the undercarriages of buses and vehicles. All in all, a piece of cake both ways. We're ready to do it again.

My husband and I live on Long Island, but he has to be in Boston for business multiple times each month. It usually takes about 4 hours. On a rare day it can even be a bit less. That said, last month he had one trip that took 5 1/2 hours, and then I went with him on a trip that took 7!!!!! hours+. :eek: There was a two tractor trailor collision that led to the highway we were on being closed for over an hour and then problems on two other roads as well. What a mess. Is there no way you could travel the day before and stay in a hotel near the airport?

It depends on what day of the week? The traffic is different per day. It is 5 hours on a week day. If you leave at 5:30am, you have a shot at making it in 4.5 hours. Where is the ship located?

It depends on what day of the week? The traffic is different per day. It is 5 hours on a week day. If you leave at 5:30am, you have a shot at making it in 4.5 hours. Where is the ship located?

The problem with this is it brings you into the NY area while the "rush hour" is still going on delaying a few minutes MAY make the drive much easier. No matter what the day leaving at 6 even if there is a three hour delay gets you in no later than 1. The ships normally sail around 4, So even in the worst case scenario you will have more than enough time. There are three to four ways to get to NYC from Boston. Monitor the traffic and be prepared to take alternatives. The ship is either going to be at one of three places.

1. The Manhattan Cruise terminal at 54th street and 12th avenue(this is the car entrance.

2. The Brooklyn Cruise terminal entrance at Imlay and Bowne Street in Brooklyn(behind the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel Brooklyn Exit

3. Port Liberty Bayonne. NJ

The amount of time to get to all three doesn't vary by more than 1/2 hour.

:confused: HI, we will be taking a bus from Boston into New York 10-20, the bus will take us to the Port Authority in Manhattan. What would anyone familiar with New York suggest from that point to get to the BROOKLYN CRUISE TERMINAL? Cab, car service, bus:eek: I would rather not. How long will that take??

Thanks,

Patti

:confused: HI, we will be taking a bus from Boston into New York 10-20, the bus will take us to the Port Authority in Manhattan. What would anyone familiar with New York suggest from that point to get to the BROOKLYN CRUISE TERMINAL? Cab, car service, bus:eek: I would rather not. How long will that take??

Thanks,

Patti

Take a cab or car service. You really don't want to take any significant amount of luggage to the subway. No bus gets you close enough unless you like 1/2 mile walks.

Its about 30.00 by cab or car service. If you must take a subway take the subway(eighth avenue c or A downtown to Jay Street Boro Hall- change for the F train across the track and get out at the carroll Street subway stop and take a cab- on Smith Street) The train is $2.00 per person and the cab will be under $10.00. If you continue on the F to Smith and 9th street you get off at the subway that is highest off the street(88 feet) and then take a bus at the bottom to Van Brunt and Sullivan street and walk into the Bus terminal about a half mile but I strongly recommend against this last one)...take the cab from Port Authority you don't want to start a vacation this way.

:) thanks, the cab it is!! it'll be worth the price!! Someone also told me to check ARECIBO car service too!

Patti

I use Arecibo a lot. It was probably me but they don't make reservations meeting them at Port Authority is a pain(I would use them to go back there however) and a cab is easy to get BUT make sure you have directions with you most cab drivers still don't have a clue. The directions from Port Authority are very simple--- get to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel take it and take the Hamilton Avenue exit(its just past the tolls) make the first left and then another left (you just made a U turn Making sure you don't get back on to the Tunnel again Straight ahead(straight not to your left) and at the light a left and then the first right...you can't miss it.

Listen to Smeyer!!! We drove from Quincy to the cruise ship pier (Manhattan) last April. We went straight up 95S to 9A. Smeyer had told me that driving that way you had to drive throught a neighborhood. I would have been having a total heart attack thinking we were lost. We left our house at 6:00am and it took us 6 1/2 hours with 4 kids in the car:eek: . It was raining and snowing but thanks to Smeyer we didn't get lost:) . I hope we have as much luck making the drive again on 10/21.

Listen to Smeyer!!! We drove from Quincy to the cruise ship pier (Manhattan) last April. We went straight up 95S to 9A. Smeyer had told me that driving that way you had to drive throught a neighborhood. I would have been having a total heart attack thinking we were lost. We left our house at 6:00am and it took us 6 1/2 hours with 4 kids in the car:eek: . It was raining and snowing but thanks to Smeyer we didn't get lost:) . I hope we have as much luck making the drive again on 10/21.

LOL the local car service has told the drivers that if I am in the car listen to my directions no matter how crazy they sound...and sometimes they are pretty nuts :)

Thanks,

Patti

Hi, make sure you leave enough time. . .The schedule says 4.5 hours, but it once took my dd 7.5 hours to get to Boston U. You never know what the traffic will bring. We also get stuck in traffic around Yale-New Haven coming from Boston to NY. .so keep that in mind.

Archived