Back from British Isles

Spent 12 nights on the Voyager. Copenhagen to Dover 9/1/07 till 9/12/07. WE did a pre-cruise through Regent in Berlin. The Regent Hotel in Berlin is very nice. We were met at the Berlin airport by a guide and driver sent by Regent Cruises. They were very helpful. We spent the afternoon on our own and resting from the long flight from Las Vegas. The next day Regent sent a private guide and driver to show us the sights of Berlin. Again, very professional. We asked the driver if he would take us to Pottsdam the next day without a guide. We agreed on a price and what a blessing it was to have him drive us (altho, he spoke Russian) we did o.k. I am glad we did Berlin but I think it was way overpriced for what we got. I would not do the Regent pre-cruise to Berlin again. It just wasn't worth it. Our flight to Copenhagen was smooth. The German guide took us right to the ticket counter and handled our luggage. Thanks to her; we weren't charged for having overweight luggage on our SAS flight to Copenhagen. Again, we were met at the airport by a very nice Regent Rep and taken to our hotel. It was an old hotel but very elegant and had an excellent location. We had the day on our own. The next morning breakfast at our hotel was a wonderful buffet. Our private tour guide (that Regent sent) came and showed us all the important sights of Copenhagen before taking us to the ship. Regent showed us the usual welcome with champagne waiting and our suite ready 747. Unpacked and went to the pool deck for a sail away party with a band. Of course, all cocktails are included as is tipping. The ship is the same as we remembered from 3 yrs. ago. The carpets are a bit worn and the TV's need to be replaced. Other than that, she looks good. The crew were wonderful. They have a great cruise director, Lorraine. The food was so-so. Not up to the Regent standard in our opinion. We had just as good on our river cruise with Vantage last year as well as on Oceania. Actually, food on Oceania was better than Regent. The LaVerandah never changes its dinner menu. We did 8 of the ship's tours. Some good, some not so good. Very "pricey" for what we got. A private guide would of been much better. Some of the tours were quite boring. The free laundry on every deck is helpful and we used it several times. Only went to a couple of shows since we were up early every morning. Only one sea day out of 12! The British Isles are pretty and the people are friendly. We stayed 5 nights in London after the cruise, on our own. Nice hotel, Chesterfield Mayfair. Buckingham Palace is way more than I expected. It is fabulous! London is probably the most expensive city we have ever stayed in. Even more than Moscow. The prices are double on everything. $40 for a 10 min taxi ride. $69 for a simple fish and chips, one bottle of water and one glass of house wine. But, the fish was yummy. We never would of paid that in the U.S. Even one way on the tube was $16 for 2 of us. I would love to go back and see more in London but not until the prices stabalize. American's are really getting socked in the pocketbook. Everything there is so overpriced. There is so much to see that a week cannot do it.

Lynn and I have a different prospective of the cruise than that of Judy. We thought the ship was in great shape and that the food was excellent. The crew, in its entirety, were superb. We did a pre-cruise at the Skt. Petri in Copenhagen and that was just so so as a hotel. It is extremely expensive all over Europe with the devalued dollar. I paid $25 for a martini at the Skt. Petri. The tours from the ship were expensive due to the devalued dollar as well. We did 6 tours and enjoyed them all. Scotland was especially nice. We ran into Niel Broomhall, the former captain of the Diamond, in Cork and had lunch with him aboard his ship, the Saga Rose, in Falmouth. He still looks the same and is still very happy. We did a post-cruise at the Goring in London. Although an older hotel, it's a perfect 10. It's expensive, but well worth it for the experience. Coming home we flew out of Gatwick. If anything, Gatwick is worse than Heathrow. The pax on the cruise were kind of a dead crowd. Quite often Lynn and I were the only ones on the dance floor. For the ship's event for the Titanium, Platinum and Gold SSS members in Dublin we only had @ 50 people, so there were not a lot of long time Regent cruisers aboard.

Another perspective from a 30's something couple. This was our first cruise on Regent, four previous cruises were all on Silversea (mediterranean & Asia). So with all the hype from the press & in general on these forums about Regent, our anticipation was high.

The ships layout was nice, it was beautiful and clean. Coming from the Silver Whisper and the smaller Silver Wind, the ship was perfect in size and did not feel too big. I would not want to go any bigger.

Our Penthouse B suite (868) was nicely appointed. I preferred the Voyagers bathrooms slightly better to Silver Whispers, and leaps over the Silverwind. The window at the desk was nice, but it would of been better if it could have been cleaned daily as it had dried sea mist that clouded the view. It was nice surfing the web while looking outside. The bed was comfy.

With that, I don't think with the different layout and butler, the extra cost was worth it. Yes it was nice, but from a value stand-point, no. Being a modest guy, I felt funny calling the butler for little things. Sometimes I was slightly bothered by that "ring" at the door for my delivery of canapes that always came at five. This was due to either being all ready stuffed or just wanting privacy, but this was just me.

I enjoyed having four distinctly different restuarants. This really differs from Silversea. It was nice having asian, when you got tired of the typical "banquet" food in the Compass Rose. I also liked La Veranda, when I didn't feel like having a long 3 hour dinner. The dinners in the Compass Rose are just too long. Same with the main dining room on Silversea. I did not notice any difference in food quality from Silversea, but did enjoy the variety. As a vegetarian, Regent met my needs better.

Service was good. But there were a few times when my request or interactions were met with indifference or little enthusiam. I never had those feelings "bubble up" on Silversea. Overall, service was fine.

The excursions were good. For the smaller towns, it was nice driving thru the beautiful countryside. The landscape, history on this itinerary didn't dissappoint. We decided to do Belfast on our own by going into the city, and were severely dissappointed. The city offers little, and had we known we would of gone on an outside excursion. Dublin on the otherhand was great. Sometimes the pace on the bussed excursions felt a little "lethargic," but maybe I like things a little faster.

Maybe due to this particular itinerary, the age of the passengers were fifties +. Not a big deal, but lots have been said about the younger crowds on Regent. Silversea=Regent when it comes to demographic on this cruise.

I also liked the gym better and having the option of paddle tennis which I enjoyed on many occasions. Regarding this cruise, I wish we had more sea days and that it was warmer (avg. temp 60's.) At this point, I would do either Regent or Silversea again if the right itinerary & price came up. I also lean towards Regent, with there upcoming smoking policy (listen up Silversea!) I have to say with all thats been said about Regent, (press / forum ) what I expected fell somewhat short from our actual experience.

Another perspective from a 30's something couple. This was our first cruise on Regent, four previous cruises were all on Silversea (mediterranean & Asia). So with all the hype from the press & in general on these forums about Regent, our anticipation was high.

The ships layout was nice, it was beautiful and clean. Coming from the Silver Whisper and the smaller Silver Wind, the ship was perfect in size and did not feel too big. I would not want to go any bigger.

Our Penthouse B suite (868) was nicely appointed. I preferred the Voyagers bathrooms slightly better to Silver Whispers, and leaps over the Silverwind. The window at the desk was nice, but it would of been better if it could have been cleaned daily as it had dried sea mist that clouded the view. It was nice surfing the web while looking outside. The bed was comfy.

With that, I don't think with the different layout and butler, the extra cost was worth it. Yes it was nice, but from a value stand-point, no. Being a modest guy, I felt funny calling the butler for little things. Sometimes I was slightly bothered by that "ring" at the door for my delivery of canapes that always came at five. This was due to either being all ready stuffed or just wanting privacy, but this was just me.

I enjoyed having four distinctly different restuarants. This really differs from Silversea. It was nice having asian, when you got tired of the typical "banquet" food in the Compass Rose. I also liked La Veranda, when I didn't feel like having a long 3 hour dinner. The dinners in the Compass Rose are just too long. Same with the main dining room on Silversea. I did not notice any difference in food quality from Silversea, but did enjoy the variety. As a vegetarian, Regent met my needs better.

Service was good. But there were a few times when my request or interactions were met with indifference or little enthusiam. I never had those feelings "bubble up" on Silversea. Overall, service was fine.

The excursions were good. For the smaller towns, it was nice driving thru the beautiful countryside. The landscape, history on this itinerary didn't dissappoint. We decided to do Belfast on our own by going into the city, and were severely dissappointed. The city offers little, and had we known we would of gone on an outside excursion. Dublin on the otherhand was great. Sometimes the pace on the bussed excursions felt a little "lethargic," but maybe I like things a little faster.

Maybe due to this particular itinerary, the age of the passengers were fifties +. Not a big deal, but lots have been said about the younger crowds on Regent. Silversea=Regent when it comes to demographic on this cruise.

I also liked the gym better and having the option of paddle tennis which I enjoyed on many occasions. Regarding this cruise, I wish we had more sea days and that it was warmer (avg. temp 60's.) At this point, I would do either Regent or Silversea again if the right itinerary & price came up. I also lean towards Regent, with there upcoming smoking policy (listen up Silversea!) I have to say with all thats been said about Regent, (press / forum ) what I expected fell somewhat short from our actual experience.

I have to comment about one of the ship's tours and it is not the ship's fault. But, on our tour of Liverpool we were taken to Sunlight Village. A beautiful little community that was built by Lever Bros. Soap Company. There was a free museum there founded by Lady Lever. Inside were beautiful paintings, furniture, Wedgewood, etc. On the way there the 2 couples sitting acrosss from us on the bus all fell asleep. When guide mentioned the meeting time back at the bus, several of the passengers moaned said it was too long. Big deal an hour and a half. We flew through this lovely museum and could of stayed several hours but due to the whining of the old people on the bus had to rush. If they didn't want to come on the tour; then stay on the ship. Traveling up and down the streets of Liverpool they moaned at almost every turn. Became excited when the ship came into view and bitched when the bus turned back to the city streets again. We are in our late 50's ourselves. But, I think some people are just too old to enjoy themselves. I know I will hear back from alot of people about this post. Sorry, but it is just the facts.

We ran into Niel Broomhall, the former captain of the Diamond, in Cork and had lunch with him aboard his ship, the Saga Rose, in Falmouth. He still looks the same and is still very happy.

Dougburns, just curious how you pulled that off -- did you really just "run into" him in Cork? Had you been in contact with him? Stalking him? :) We have great memories of cruising with him twice on the Diamond. (I spent a lot of time on the bridge entering and leaving every port, and loved the information he imparted, along with his near-constant wisecracks.) I'm glad to hear he's doing well.

-- Eric

Judy,

I don't think it was that the people were to old, but that (a) they were either not properly advised/did not read what the tour was about and what was required of them; and (b) they were discourteous.

More importantly, I do believe it is inappropriate for the tour operator to modify the tour because some decide it is not for them. When I run into this situation as a host, I keep a form which they can sign releasing them from the tour and allowing them to make their way back to the ship at their own cost. Usually that causes them to settle down, but on occasion it has been taken up...to all parties relief.

Eric; We were walking down a street in Cork and Niel was coming the other way. He recognized us first. He was just in jeans and a T-shirt. He'll be going on vacation next week and will join the Saga Ruby 15 Nov for 2 years. As you know, he's a great guy and a superb Captain. We'd really like to cruise with him again.

Judy, This is the main reason that we usually don't do group tours. We like to look at things at our own pace and not have to listen to a bunch of complaining, etc. Now, of course, there are some places where you pretty much have to do the group thing, so if someone wants to go back to the ship, they should have to at their own expense. The tour shouldn't be altered or shortened.

I agree; they should of had the option of finding there way back to ship. But, I doubt they could of as we were several miles out of Liverpool. We usually do get our own private guide but not on this trip. Live and learn! Oh, well, we had a wonderful trip despite the whiners. We really loved the British Isles. Someday, we will go back and rent a car and go at our own pace. We are going on a safari next year!

I just booked a British Isles cruise on the Voyager for next year and after reading some of the comments, I'm now wondering if this was the right choice. Are there any cities which are great to do on your own and are there any shore excursions to definitely avoid or to definitely book? Does the cold weather affect the joy of cruising? Is it too cold to sit on the balcony?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

I think you can easily do Edinburgh on your own, since the ship provides a shuttle into the center of town. The ship anchors about 5 miles upstream by the bridge across to Fife. For The Trossachs and Uruquart Castle I would take the ship's tour. It's expensive, but worth it. In Invergordon I would also take the ship tours. In Skye I would not take a tour, but just walk around Portree. In Belfast we did the Ards Peninsula tour and it was nice, but not great. In Dublin we had a special event at the Abbey Tavern in Howth, plus an evening of Irish entertainment in the city. The show was good, but the seating was terrible. They have a shuttle in Dublin that goes to the city center, so you can do some of the city on your own. In Cork we did not do a tour. In Liverpool you're docked right downtown and you can easily do the city walking. It's a very nice city. In Falmouth we did not do a tour, since the ship was not there very long and we were having lunch with Capt. Broomhall aboard the Saga Rose. Keep in mind that it's very expensive over there and I'm sure you'll have to pay dearly to do a private tour. The weather was very pleasant the entire way; not cold at all. Temps were generally in the 60s. However, you never know what you're going to get over there in the way of weather. I sat on our balcony very comfortably every day.

Dublin has the best hop on and off buses we've ever been on. The very witty and informative Irish drivers made for a special experience. The live commentary sure beats the recorded stuff over cheap earphones.

As I recall there was more than one sightseeing bus brand and unfortunately I can't remember which one we were on - but it probably was the least expensive. We picked up brochures at the Dublin city tour office and caught the bus nearby.

We had four different drivers that day - three were excellent and the fourth not quite as good in comparison.

Carol, not sure what the time of year of your cruise, but weather in the British Isles is pretty erratic. You could have a heat wave and glassy water, or you could have rain and storms. Or both in the same day I expect.

I, for one, would not do this itinerary on a cruise ship, but that's a personal preference. I love Scotland and England (not done Ireland yet), but I would always do them by land, at least until I'm too old to get around.

I'm lean, and with average temps in the 60's with the wind, it was sometimes too cold. Now with little wind and direct sunshine which was rare(like in Falmouth), it was fine.

We liked the excursions: Edinburgh: The Trossachs and Stirling Castle

Ivergordon: Dunrobin, Dornach & Distillery

Portree, Isle of Skye: Dunvegan Castle & The Cullins

We did Belfast on our own and found it not very interesting. You may want to do an excursion.

We liked doing the Blarney castle even though it was touristic, but didn't like Cork city.

Overall, we enjoyed the cruise. We wished we could of just stayed on.

Cork was our least favorite. We did it on our own but wouldn't bother with it again. Dublin is very doable on your own. We also went to an Evening of Irish Entertainment. Table seating, like Vegas used to have. I am glad we went. Did the daytime tour of Ghost walks. Very much a waste of time and energy. Should of done Dublin on our own. The weather was nice as Doug said. Scotland was a little chilly for me. I hate cold weather! I wore a jacket, scarf and gloves in parts of Scotland. Edingurgh is really nice and they do have a shuttle bus. I really liked the cruise overall. But, like Doug said it is very expensive. Over $2,000 for our ship tours. Some worth it and some definitely not. Everything in the British Isles is expensive. This trip cost us more than any other we have done. That includes Moscow, Istanbul the Med, Rome, France etc. We did an additional 5 nights post cruise on our own in London. Prices are out of sight! But, we loved London and were never board. i want to go back when the $ gets better. Do the cruise, you will like it. We sat on our balcony with a glass of wine at sail aways. A couple of times there were bands playing for our send off. Pipes and drums in Scotland. Beautiful!

Booked on this cruise 2008. Our plan is to hire a car in Belfast & Cork and maybe Bristol, these ports are really gateways as far as we are concerned and there is plenty to see within easy reach. Edinburgh is wonderfully walkable as is Dublin. Good local ferries in Falmouth will get us into Roseland or the bus to Truro. (lived here for a couple of months eons ago). We don't see much value in the organised tours on this cruise with no language barriers and they even drive on the same side of the road for us. It is a no brainer.

As to expense, Wendy is correct, prices haven't increased much, just your US buying power has. It is better for us, last Regent cruise (always priced in USD for us) we booked we only got 70 cents US for our dollar, now I have about 89 US cents. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

As always enjoyed reading viewpoints and reviews. Thankyou

Cheers :o

Nevian

Nevian, when you rent a car in Belfast, are you planning on driving up the Antrim Coast and heading to Giants Causeway? Is there time to do that? I love that drive, and the Causeway is spectacular. I love that area of Ulster, and the Bushmills tour of course! LOL. Or, are you heading down to the Newcastle area? We've done both drives, both are so lovely.

As for "buying power", you're quite right. I've just returned from Britain on a land based trip (which I take every couple of years). I was in Scotland and Ulster this time. It's always been expensive there - but the prices haven't really risen much, just our fluctuating Canadian and American dollars and the buying power of them changes. However, our first Regent Cruise cost us $1.43 Canadian for every USD. The one I just paid for was at par, so that made me very happy.

Happy travels! Charlene.

Hi Nevian-

We also booked the 2008 cruise. Are you on the Copenhagen to Southampton portion? We're not much into group tours, so if you have any "not to miss" suggestions, I'd really appreciate them. We've been to London a few times, but that's it. We thought a cruise would be a good way to see a large area rather than a road trip and having to worry about driving on the wrong side of the road!

Carol/ Charlene,

Yes on Copenhagen off Southampton. At this stage, haven't really formulated anything as I am still trying to work out what we will do post cruise in Italy. After our long flight may as well stay a month at least and wear ourselves and budget out!

I am not familiar with Belfast but do know Londonderry and Donegal and Antrim. Have noted the generous time frames of port stays and as I suspect Belfast to be of limited interest to us, will work on a driving plan. Nothing too onerous but am positive Giant's Causeway is 'doable' and the whole coast in that region is wonderful. I think there is a tour there but it is really easy driving and you will get to see much more I am sure. There is no shortage of villages, pub lunches etc etc..

Cork, I am familiar with to some extent and the coastal areas around there are terrrific in all directions, specially south and west I feel , just depends on what is apealling to you. I am just keen on the small villages, great pubs, wandering sheep, nothing too taxing! I would pass up the Blarney stone!

Bristol is a great chance to explore Bath and even lower Cotswold villages but would have to say for a big thrill, Bath gets my vote. The Roman baths, the Regency architecture...Shops are not too bad either. Bit touristy at times but with good reason. Wells, Cheddar Gorge, lie to the south in Somerset. I think Longleat and Stourhead are possible if you are keen on stately homes. Lower Cotswolds are just north and great to wander. You are only a bridge away from South Wales too, Chepstow and Forest of Dean are interesting. If you are into stately homes, check the National Trust website for anything in range of Bristol

Dublin is so much fun on foot. Specially round the south bank of the Liffey. Edinburgh if you shuttle in, is also walkable. I really enjoyed a visit to Holyrood House (Queens residence in Edinburgh) and it's associations with Mary, Queen of Scots. A walk DOWN the Golden Mile from Edinburgh Castle is fun too.

Sorry to be so vague, but I never get too organised re driving. In UK nothing is too far away from anything else and I tend to get into explore mode.

Nevian

Archived