Has anyone got a price adjustment from NCL

chewap

With NCL new policy in not giving out price adjustments on their booked cruises, please answer if you have received a price adjsutment from NCL or was able to cancel and rebook at a lower price within the last 7 days. I tried to do it yesterday with a $250 drop, but NCL refused to do it. My TA tried several times, including talking to their legal dept, but NCL said there is no price adjustments and you have to pay the price when selected the cruise. This for a cruise in Jan 11 . I cancelled today and will never go another NCL cruise.

TODAY (therefore within the last 7 days) I noticed a price drop on our March 2008 cruise, e-mailed our PCC and received the NEW, LOWER price.

Looking forward to our next 5 cruises with NCL and planning on many more.

Can someone clarify this for me then. Which terms of carriage do I go by the terms of the actual boarding ticket, or the terms of the promotion, or the terms of their brochure? Because all three are differnt.

One should not have to scrutinize every dotted "i" in the promotion terms. Shame on me for not being more consciencus.

Shame on NCL for not being more honorable and loyal to it's own revenue stream of past passengers.

Just off the phone with the executive offices. Wrote to Mr. Veitch and Mr. Stuart and never got a response from anyone. This was undoubtedly the worst customer service in 30 cruises I have ever experienced. They will not on-board credit, or provide any form of on-board comps for the dramatic drop in price which occurred 74 days into the 75 day rule. I know what you are all going to say....but what is the point of having a loyalty program that doesn't respect it's repeat passengers when they have an issue.

I was told in no uncertain terms that no changes could be made to the bookings under this procastinator program. So, I asked if I wanted to pay for an upgrade would they do it, well of course they would....

This will be my last NCL cruise. Penny wise and pound foolish to lose a loyal passenger over a goodwill gesture.

Shame on NCL.

Lully- I talked to legal dept NCL, Ryan. last friday, he said it is the Marketing dept new policy that put these rules in effect. Ryan was not happy with the new policy but said upper management wanted it. It is all about greed on the part of NCL.

Just off the phone with the executive offices. Wrote to Mr. Veitch and Mr. Stuart and never got a response from anyone.

Lulley, looks like you and I took the same approach (writing to Messrs. Veitch and Stuart) for the same cruise and got the same result.

NCL is under no legal obligation to do anything here -- I think we all can come to terms with that. Seems to me that a $50 OBC, however, would cost NCL little and be a nice customer service gesture, but this is NCL's prerogative. Some will exercise their rights and not sail NCL again. The Mrs. and I will take our upcoming first cruise NCL and then decide how we feel after seeing the whole product.

Lully- I talked to legal dept NCL, Ryan. last friday, he said it is the Marketing dept new policy that put these rules in effect. Ryan was not happy with the new policy but said upper management wanted it. It is all about greed on the part of NCL.
Well maybe you talked to someone but how many people have to tell you this isn't true. Not only that, I find it almost impossible to beleive an employee would say "they were not happy with a policy" employees do not make public statements like that or let's put it this way, I have never heard anyone working for a company make such a statement to a customer. it is interesting now you talked to them when Saturday you said your agent did but never mentioned you did. I think I will do myself and you a favor and let this rediculous thread die as far as I am concerned.

Nita

Lulley, looks like you and I took the same approach (writing to Messrs. Veitch and Stuart) for the same cruise and got the same result.

NCL is under no legal obligation to do anything here -- I think we all can come to terms with that. Seems to me that a $50 OBC, however, would cost NCL little and be a nice customer service gesture, but this is NCL's prerogative. Some will exercise their rights and not sail NCL again. The Mrs. and I will take our upcoming first cruise NCL and then decide how we feel after seeing the whole product.

You have a very good attitude and I hope you decide NCL is a good line, meeting your needs. If not, at least you are going to sail with an open mind.

Nita

I cancelled my NCL cruise because of their new policy of not making price adjustments or letting people cancel and rebook at the much lower price. In my case there was a $260 pp price drop. Having been on 6 NCL cruises with good experiences, I will never again book a NCL cruise again because of the way they treat thier customers.

I was wondering when lines would start doing this as airlines have been doing this for years. I guess if the implemented a $100 change fee like airlines that would be OK. That and maybe again like airlines, you pay for the full price when you buy it.

When I book a cruise, I do so at a price I deem acceptable at the time and have never checked to see if I can get it cheaper - maybe I'm the odd one here but I guess I never would do it.

I suppose you have a right to be grumpy but I guess in the long run if you or I would never sail on a particular line, they won't notice.

I was wondering when lines would start doing this as airlines have been doing this for years. I guess if the implemented a $100 change fee like airlines that would be OK. That and maybe again like airlines, you pay for the full price when you buy it.

When I book a cruise, I do so at a price I deem acceptable at the time and have never checked to see if I can get it cheaper - maybe I'm the odd one here but I guess I never would do it.

I suppose you have a right to be grumpy but I guess in the long run if you or I would never sail on a particular line, they won't notice.

I am not grumpy, just pointing out NCL's new policy. Other cruise lines make an adjustment when asked. NCL always did on 2 of my other cruises with them, but know there policy is no price adjustment or cancelling and rebooking at the lower price. NCL has been going downhill with customer relations, ever since the group from Hong Kong bought the cruise line. It is all about profit for them, and not giving a damn about their customers.

So,I have a question for the smart folks here.

Let's say you are sitting at NCL Corporate Hdqtrs. You are reviewing sales numbers and realize some of the ships are going to sail less than full. For example, ship "A" is going to sail with 100 of her 1000 cabins empty, with an average cabin price of $2,100. (approx numbers, please).

So, you decide to run a sale and reduce the prices 25%. But then somebody else says, we should reduce the prices for those people that already booked, it is only fair.

The math whiz in the back of the room does some quick math and figures out that they would forfeit. If we run the sale and fill the rooms, it will cost us $52,500 in reduced fare, but we do gain $157,500 in revenue we would not get if they sail empty.

If we run the sale AND honor the same price reduction for the other 900 rooms it will cost us another $472,500 for a total of $525,000. And Mr Smarty from the other side of the room mentions that we take that kind of hit, we should start planning to close this down!

So, if you were the mgmt of this company, what would you do?

I booked NCL outside cabin 2 weeks ago, but really wanted a balcony. I noticed today the prices had dropped by almost $200 per person for the balcony I initially wanted. NCL refused to allow my TA to upgrade me at the new less expensive price and insisted I pay the previous amount for my upgrade although any new bookings would get the cabin cheaper.

I called NCL and pleaded my case and they allowed my travel agent to upgrade me at the new lower price.

Althought this is my first cruise with NCL (previously sailed

Holland, Celebrity, Princess and to cruise Discovery in Jan. 2008), I was pleased with NCL customer service in my case.

• Administrators
I am not grumpy, just pointing out NCL's new policy. Other cruise lines make an adjustment when asked. NCL always did on 2 of my other cruises with them, but know there policy is no price adjustment or cancelling and rebooking at the lower price. NCL has been going downhill with customer relations, ever since the group from Hong Kong bought the cruise line. It is all about profit for them, and not giving a damn about their customers.

Um, there are posts both before and after this one from people who received price adjustments or upgrades due to a price drop in the last few days. What "new policy" are you talking about, again?

I agree with you. When booking a cruise you take a gamble that prices will not drop. I booked a cruise last week and the price has dropped already but i am happy with the "pity the procrastonator" cabin i was assigned. I feel like i got a great cabin, on a great deck, ideally located midship. I'm sure prices will drop again but i agreed to a set price. I am greatful that when prices go up NCL does not call me asking me to pay the addtional price. No matter what i pay for my cruise it is always an amazing value. How can they give so much for so little?

Last year, 4 weeks before my cruise on the Jewel, prices on a mini suite dropped to the price i had paid for a balcony just weeks earlier. I called my TA who in turn called NCL. They called me back and stated that i could upgrade to a GTY mini suite for a small additonal charge. I was asked to pay more than than a new customer. I gladly paid it, without question, and was rewarded the next day with a penthouse.

Remember that there will always be someone on a cruise who paid less than you did for the same catagory. I think last year I happen to be that lucky person. So forget all this sillyness and enjoy the cabin your booked in at whatever price you paid!

Let's say you are sitting at NCL Corporate Hdqtrs. You are reviewing sales numbers and realize some of the ships are going to sail less than full. For example, ship "A" is going to sail with 100 of her 1000 cabins empty, with an average cabin price of $2,100. (approx numbers, please).

So, you decide to run a sale and reduce the prices 25%. But then somebody else says, we should reduce the prices for those people that already booked, it is only fair.

The math whiz in the back of the room does some quick math and figures out that they would forfeit. If we run the sale and fill the rooms, it will cost us $52,500 in reduced fare, but we do gain $157,500 in revenue we would not get if they sail empty.

If we run the sale AND honor the same price reduction for the other 900 rooms it will cost us another $472,500 for a total of $525,000. And Mr Smarty from the other side of the room mentions that we take that kind of hit, we should start planning to close this down!

Only if all 900 cabins called and requested the price reduction would this scenario be true. In actuality, most people do not.

Princess is the same way as NCL. No price reductions. Last year Princess had a transatlantic repositioning cruise that dropped over 100% ($1799 to $700) and they would not reduce the previous price paid, not give onboard credit and not allow a cancellation and rebooking. There were some pretty mad folks on that cruise ---- and really who could blame them?

Kathy

Only if all 900 cabins called and requested the price reduction would this scenario be true. In actuality, most people do not.

Princess is the same way as NCL. No price reductions. Last year Princess had a transatlantic repositioning cruise that dropped over 100% ($1799 to $700) and they would not reduce the previous price paid, not give onboard credit and not allow a cancellation and rebooking. There were some pretty mad folks on that cruise ---- and really who could blame them?

Kathy

I posted my experience on another board. Last week, I called Princess after a client advised me the price of his cruise had dropped about $200 per person. I was first told by Princess; no go, the new price is a promo for first time bookings. after I pleaded my case, talked to 3 different people and reminded all of them this was a 11 time princess cruiser, I was able to get an OBC, not worth the $200 per person, but something. I also got a lecture about how Princess does not adjust prices when promos are involved and not to try this again. I felt like I was back in high school or college being lectured by me intructor about what I should or shouldn't do. All is well that end well. I was happy after I got over the rant I listened to, the client was happy and PRincess will survive. I also called about 2 minutes ago to NCL to get a price adjustment on a sailing next month on the Gem. No promos were involved except an OBC for the clients and it is even after final payment. NCL said I could adjust but would lose the OBC. I left it the way it was as it would pretty much be a wash. I am trying to work with Carnival on a similar booking. I am getting nowhere so far.

NCL does not have a new policy that states no price adjustments.

Nita

That may not be as simple a question to answer as it at first appears. Far thinking management might realize that if customers find out that booking early often ends up meaning paying quite a lot more than waiting and booking later does, management may begin to find that they get fewer and fewer cabins filled by early bookings and end up being left with more and more cabins to sell later, at reduced fares.

Forward thinking management might decide that it is worth it to throw those disappointed early bookers some kind of a sop to keep them happy and stop them from feeling like complete patsies for signing on with NCL so early.

Bravao Sunshine 229 - I couldn't have said it better. These cruise lines create all these "loyalty" programs for repeat passengers with little or no benefits derived. Maybe it's me, but if I buy something and see it on sale the next week, yes I will drive to the store, and either negotiate a refund difference or repurchase the item at the lower price. I would be foolish not to do this. Yes, you should feel that you got a good deal, (and I did), but I also feel that you can' talk out of both sides of your mouth about loyalty to passengers and then do nothing when a problem arises. So for a $50 or a $100 on board credit where all the money flows back to the cruise line anyway, is it worth jepordizing a future passenger relationship? Being a silver member I've shown my commitment to them, perhaps it was time they showed their loyalty to past passengers. This comes down to loyalty and fairness more than it does dollars and cents!

Amen!!!! and thank-you!!!!!

I don't get it--what new policy--I noticed a price reduction for my cruise comming up in Jan and called NCL--thet lady was great--gave me and the other 2 cabins booked with me a $300 per room credit all took less than 5 minutes and the NCL lady was great--happy to be able to give a customer a break.

I also agree with post that points out if NCL raises the price they don't expect all booked passengers to pay more. When I buy a ticket for anything I am ready to pay the contracted price--any reduction is a bonus.

Bravao Sunshine 229 - I couldn't have said it better. These cruise lines create all these "loyalty" programs for repeat passengers with little or no benefits derived. Maybe it's me, but if I buy something and see it on sale the next week, yes I will drive to the store, and either negotiate a refund difference or repurchase the item at the lower price. I would be foolish not to do this. Yes, you should feel that you got a good deal, (and I did), but I also feel that you can' talk out of both sides of your mouth about loyalty to passengers and then do nothing when a problem arises. So for a $50 or a $100 on board credit where all the money flows back to the cruise line anyway, is it worth jepordizing a future passenger relationship? Being a silver member I've shown my commitment to them, perhaps it was time they showed their loyalty to past passengers. This comes down to loyalty and fairness more than it does dollars and cents!

you buy something, it goes on sale the following week and you get the store to stores to give you a refund? I am truely surprised. I guess we all need to remember this a Christmas: be sure and ask the gift giver to provide the receipt with the gift so we can take it back to the store and get the credit, then buy it at a reduced price. Truely amazing.

Nita

Depends on the store. A lot of the big-box stores (Best Buy comes to mind, and it's a fair analogy since their reputation among customers is mixed) have some sort of price protection policy, where they will refund the difference if the price drops within a certain time period and/or if the competition offers a lower price within that same period.

This is travel, however, and as NCL explained to me yesterday, cruising is a "commodity product". So is air travel. And yet the airlines have a fairly clear policy about price: you lock in when you buy it; if the price goes up, you don't pay more; if the price goes down, you don't get money back. Just like the price of gas or the stock market. The cruise industry today, OTOH, seems to be plagued with inconsistency.

Nita,

Is it possible for you to say anything without a biting edge commentary? These are discussion boards, people are discussing their options and what they think. If I were to buy a large screen tv and it went on sale for $150 less next week, I don't know many people that wouldn't return it and repurchase it. If you feel that you have the excess disposable cash to not to do that, good for you. Clearly, I am in the wrong profession.

Nita,

Is it possible for you to say anything without a biting edge commentary? These are discussion boards, people are discussing their options and what they think. If I were to buy a large screen tv and it went on sale for $150 less next week, I don't know many people that wouldn't return it and repurchase it. If you feel that you have the excess disposable cash to not to do that, good for you. Clearly, I am in the wrong profession, I should have been a travel agent.

I think Nita gives some very good adviase on these boards..The point here that she, and I am trying to make is that if a promo is for new bookings only, it means exactly that! Every cruiseline has the same promos....as you have read on this thread....some people have gotten price drops on their cruise when the price has gone down....but it was not on a new booking only promo! And I have to agree with her, that I highly doubt everyone is running back to the store if they see something on sale.

Whether to return to the store and excercise the sale price option is everyone's personal choice. I'm only saying what I would do. I'm not suggesting that people return Christmas presents, so this needn't be made personal or sarcastic.

Nita does indeed bring a professional opinion to the boards, and I can respect that. It's the way that she conveys her opinions that I have a problem with. All I can say is what I would do, and how I feel. No need to make this personal. That's all.

some people have gotten price drops on their cruise when the price has gone down....but it was not on a new booking only promo!

Is the "Pity the Procrastinator" promo for new bookings only? There are people on these boards who had existing bookings and still received a reduction for this promo... not all, but some, and that inconsistency is not going to help NCL's customer service issues.

Archived