Has anyone got a price adjustment from NCL

chewap

Didn't procrastinate, wish I had. :eek: NCL prices have been going down and I just checked my TA online website and the total of my back 2 back cruises is almost $500 lower than what I am paying. :mad: Final payment is not due until February. I plan to call them tomorrow. What is the best arguement to use if I get the "new bookings only" excuse? I always book through this agency because they have the best prices but what I am paying is comparable to NCL's pricing without the upgrades! :(

...but he agent was polite, understood my concerns and did the best she could. this certainly wasn't a serious problem but she took time to ask and give me, what I hope was the right answer.

That is an interesting way to put it. It certainly sounds as if you don't feel totally confidant trusting the answers you get from NCL.

Do you feel the same way about the answers you get from other cruise lines, or do you find that when ,for instance, Celebrity or Holland America give you an answer you have more confidence that those answers are correct?

• Administrators

:o

You must be having a hard time finding it!;)

Well, it may not have survived on the RCCL boards, but they posted it elsewhere -- here's a link valid as of the time I posted this (RCCL told the poster in question "sorry, no price reduction, the current fare is new bookings only."). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=634530

I started this thread and right off the bat, Nita called me a liar. I was just stating what NCL's new policy is-not making any rate adjustments at all. It gripes me and others who are on this board, where you have a self proclaimed "know it all' taking over the board and insisting that her false satements are correct as she is a TA. The messages are for everyone to read and to make thier own opinions.

• Administrators
I started this thread and right off the bat, Nita called me a liar. I was just stating what NCL's new policy is-not making any rate adjustments at all. It gripes me and others who are on this board, where you have a self proclaimed "know it all' taking over the board and insisting that her false satements are correct as she is a TA. The messages are for everyone to read and to make thier own opinions.

For the love of..... Posts number 26 and 35 in this very thread are from people who have received price reductions from NCL, on NCL cruises, since your alleged discovery of NCL's alleged "new policy" of no "rate adjustments at all." So are you calling THOSE posters "liars?" You asked, others answered -- yes, people HAVE received rate reductions since this alleged "new policy." So who is spreading the mis-information?

• Administrators

For the love of..... Posts number 26 and 35 in this very thread are from people who have received price reductions from NCL, on NCL cruises, since your alleged discovery of NCL's alleged "new policy" of no "rate adjustments at all." So are you calling THOSE posters "liars?" You asked, others answered -- yes, people HAVE received rate reductions since this alleged "new policy." So who is spreading the mis-information? Based on the input you asked for and received, what you stated as NCL's policy is WRONG. I don't give a darn about the posturing between you and any other poster -- but I do have to wonder why you are ignoring the other posts answering your question?

• Administrators

Quite true. I'd refer you to posts 26 and 35 on this thread, from different people who have received rate reductions in the last few days.

What a thread:(

Nita has been posting her advice, experience and "tips" here on CC for a long time. And it is greatly appreciated.

Never have I seen her call anyone a "liar"...including this thread.

Nor have I ever seen her called a "know it all" most often people thank her for her knowledge.

"It gripes me and others who are on this board",...who are the "others" you are referring to? Did they ask you to speak for them:eek:

As with any contract you sign, read the "fine print"

There is nothing shocking or under-handed with the new policy.

Just READ before you book/sign!

Please check MY post - post number 26. I received a price drop THIS WEEK. Does that sound like NCL has a new policy of NO price adjustments? In my opinion, you are only choosing to read those posts which agree with your statements.

Michelp-The Rccl post you are referring to was for "new bookings". I think we all understand here what that means. Speaking for myself there were 3 price drops on my cruise for this December and not one of them was for "new bookings". I talked with the online agency and Norwegian for over a week and was unable to get any help. I think it's great that there were some people here who were able to get a reduction....I am not saying it didn't happen. For what ever reason they were lucky...Norwegian will tell you themselves that they are not doing it anymore.

That is an interesting way to put it. It certainly sounds as if you don't feel totally confidant trusting the answers you get from NCL.

Do you feel the same way about the answers you get from other cruise lines, or do you find that when ,for instance, Celebrity or Holland America give you an answer you have more confidence that those answers are correct?

I don't always feel confidant that I am getting the correct answer. This doesn't only refer to NCL but many lines. The agents are not paid a fortune, many are young and inexperienced (not that being young is bad) many have never even seen a ship much less cruised.

Other lines, well I guess tha worst I have dealt with was HAL. The gal, not only was very rude but didn't know about specials they were running. This happened to be a cruise I was taking and we were going with another couple. When a agent doesn't know what you are talking about and you have the promo code it does get a little frustrating. I was dealing with Carnival this week, 2 different agents, 2 different attempts to help, well one attempt. The first gal wasn't about to even check on the situation. Again, this wasn't a serious problem but I would have felt better if the first rep would have tried a little harder. Yes, all lines have good and bad, some more bad than others.

As I have said over and over, I just never have had problems with NLC (well of course I have on a few instances) but I also do not doubt others have. Obviously not everyone who comes on these boards with horror stories are liars.

Nita

How many people have to tell you, they have gotten adjustments this week for you to beleive this isn't a new policy. I didn't call you a liar, I did ask why on one thread you said your travel agent talked to the Legal Dept on Friday and another thread you said you, personally talk to the legal dept. Hate to burst your bubble, but you are correct about one thing: I think most will make their own decisions or opinions as you put it.

Nita

Michelp-The Rccl post you are referring to was for "new bookings". I think we all understand here what that means. Speaking for myself there were 3 price drops on my cruise for this December and not one of them was for "new bookings". I talked with the online agency and Norwegian for over a week and was unable to get any help. I think it's great that there were some people here who were able to get a reduction....I am not saying it didn't happen. For what ever reason they were lucky...Norwegian will tell you themselves that they are not doing it anymore.

Is it possible that the whole mis-understanding here is due to NCL agents giving people different answers every time they call?

Based on my past experience with NCL it seems to me to be entirely possible that someone at NCL did tell Mukluk and welovecruising2 that NCL had a new policy and that they were no longer giving price reductions under any circumstances, while, at the same time someone else at NCL did indeed give price reductions to the people who wrote posts 26 and 35.

In my experience one of the biggest problems dealing with NCL customer service is that everytime you talk to a different agent you are likely to get a different answer and that there is no way to really know what the difinitive answer is.

I remember a year or two ago someone was trying to get an answer from NCL about bringing wine on board, allowed, not allowed, corkage fees etc... according to their posts here, everytime they asked they got a different answer. Finally, after speaking to one agent, they asked her to send them the poicy in writing ( so that if they arrived at the dock with their bottles of wine they would have some proof that they had been told that it was allowed and what the corkage fee was) the agent refused and basically said it was not NCL's policy to issue policies in writing.

It is unbelievably frustrating to deal with a company that acts this way. It is as if they are saying "we have rules but we won't tell you what they are, however we will use them, when it suits us, to stop you from doing things the way you would like to do them."

ETA: I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it is quite possible that each of the posters here is telling the truth about what happened to them when dealing with NCL the problem may be that it is NCL who is lying to or misinforming the posters.

It seems to me what is so frustrating for people is the appearance of being treated differently. Some people are obviously receiving price reductions, others are not. Without the precise details, cabin category, booking promotion, group reservation or individual reservation etc. it is impossible to discern what the pricing policy is. In this confusion and lack of information people get frustrated when one cruiser gets a reduction and another does not.

Another poster had a great point in that without a side by side comparison, someone getting a reduction might also have booked at a higher price, thus allowing for a refund without a loss of income to NCL, and another might have been booked on the lowest promotional fare offered so far. So there is room to get a lower price for one and not another.

Like gamblers, talking about how much they win, I wonder how many people often "say" they got the lowest rate, when in fact they did not. I know when cabin price has come up I have heard some pretty good stories about how low a price they got for a suite.

This could all be solved with better training of agents by NCL and a clearly stated pricing policy.

Another poster had a great point in that without a side by side comparison, someone getting a reduction might also have booked at a higher price, thus allowing for a refund without a loss of income to NCL, and another might have been booked on the lowest promotional fare offered so far. So there is room to get a lower price for one and not another.

That could indeed be true but it still doesn't explain welovecruising2's statement about price reductions that

"Norwegian will tell you themselves that they are not doing it anymore."

or mukluk's statement that Norwegian told him "there is no price adjustments and you have to pay the price when selected the cruise."

If you are to believe those two posters it would seem that NCL didn't say they were denying them reductions because of any special promotional prices they may have received but because they just don't do reductions any more.

Also, if the second person in your example booked at the lowest promotional fare so far, where did the customers find the lower fare that they are hoping to be adjusted too? I assume that the customer was calling because the price had dropped below what they had paid which wouldn't be possible if they had paid the 'lowest fare offered so far", would it?

Well I Have Cruised 4 Other Times, And I Decided To Give Ncl A Chance, I Booked For The Mexican Riveria For 4/8/08 - 4/16/08, On 09/17/07. I Booked An Inside Cabin For My Husband And I, After Reading All Of The Threads On Price Adjustment With Ncl, I Decided To Check Ncl Prices More Often. Yesterday I Checked And The Price Dropped By $100 Per Person, And The Price For The Inside And Oceanview Were The Same, So Not Only Did I Get A Price Reduction, I Also Got Upgraded To A Oceanview.. Callled Ncl, And The Whole Process Was About Done In 10 Minutes. As I Write This Email I Checked The Prices Again, And It Went Up To $300, More Than I Payed Per Person. So It Pays To Check Frequently To See If The Prices Drop, Because They Will Give You A Price Adjustment As Long As It Is Before Your Final Payment.

Well I Have Cruised 4 Other Times, And I Decided To Give Ncl A Chance, I Booked For The Mexican Riveria For 4/8/08 - 4/16/08, On 09/17/07. I Booked An Inside Cabin For My Husband And I, After Reading All Of The Threads On Price Adjustment With Ncl, I Decided To Check Ncl Prices More Often. Yesterday I Checked And The Price Dropped By $100 Per Person, And The Price For The Inside And Oceanview Were The Same, So Not Only Did I Get A Price Reduction, I Also Got Upgraded To A Oceanview.. Callled Ncl, And The Whole Process Was About Done In 10 Minutes. As I Write This Email I Checked The Prices Again, And It Went Up To $300, More Than I Payed Per Person. So It Pays To Check Frequently To See If The Prices Drop, Because They Will Give You A Price Adjustment As Long As It Is Before Your Final Payment.

YUP....Good for you:) NOT a NEW policy;)

Well I'm in this boat too. Booked the Dawn sailing this Thanksgiving and I called NCL regarding this issue once I placed a desposit on the cabin. I was told that NCL does not refund or refare cruise prices with one exception: It has to be a reduced fare within the same promotion (code). So if you paid for example 2000 under promotion code PGSQ2, and it later drops to 1600 under the same promotion code (PGSQ2), you will receive a refund. And I was told it didn't matter if you were 6 months out, 2 months out or 60 days.

Well, I just received and email and mailer that stated my promotion code dropped at total of 250 on my cabin on the same exact promotion. I had my agent call in to NCL and guess what they said.

1st call: told agent that it was only for new bookings. NOT TRUE. Mailer and email did not have any fine print stating this and contradicts what I was told back in August when I booked the deposit

2nd call: they do refunds within the same promotion code but not on PGSQ3 (pity the procrastinator promotion). What a crock! Seems they'll actually try any excuse just to get out of refunding the money. Poor NCL. They keep this up and they'll lose me and a lot of other faithful cruisers.

Anyway, I'm going to take this issue up with the executives. Does anyone know who the C.E.O. is and where their offices are...wait...GOOGLE!

I think it means that they gave you a price reduction..I don't think it means that they will give evryone a price reduction unless you are implying that mukluk and welovecruising2 are not telling the truth about their experience.

I think it means that they gave you a price reduction..I don't think it means that they will give evryone a price reduction unless you are implying that mukluk and welovecruising2 are not telling the truth about their experience.

I was just posting what my expierence was, I am not here to call anyone a liar, I was just trying to be helpful, don't be mad at me if you could not get a price adjustment/reduction.

I just received my fourth price drop about an hour ago. I booked the Med. Gem on July 20th last spring (the day the 2008 itineraries were announced). No promotion - and honestly not a very good price. But, I snagged a BA aft that I wanted, the date I wanted, and I figured I'd hope for the best (a price drop) and be prepared to pay the rate I booked it for. Overall, the price has dropped $800 per person! The first drop was last June - it was a big one. This past drop was small - just $50 per person - but that's another $100 for drinks. NCL hasn't questioned me at all any of the times I called - it was quick and painless to get the new price. Obviously, I am getting these because I booked without any promotion! I lucked out that the price went down - but I wouldn't have complained if it didn't - I just would have had less money to spend on board for drinks and fun.

It appear "Pity the Procrastinator" is over and that is the promo that is the "New Bookings Only" so now the price adjustments should be back.

Thats good news,Iam sure they have had tons of complaints.Our sailing has reduced 3 times since we booked.The 1st 2 times we called for the lower price and were told its for new bookings only.Yesterday it dropped again 100pp.Icalled and was told I cant have it that it under a promo.OK I checked web site again and NOwhere did it show a promo.I called back got a different rep and was given the lower price with no problem.With the other reductions it saved us 300pp. TOM

Archived