Canada/New England Mini-Review 9/15-9/22

pa_heather

We're just off the Crown today after a Canada/New England itinerary. I'll keep this brief in an effort to avoid the Princess cheerleaders, but if you have any specific questions (I know there were some people who were interested to hear about this itinerary), please feel free to ask.

The Good:

1. The intinerary- lots to see and do. I was afraid the ports might be a little boring, but I was very pleasantly surprised. All were very walkable, which was great considering the cool and sunny weather. I got lots of information from people on here for places to see, restaurants, etc., so thank you.

2. Our cabin (although a little smaller than similar class cabins we've had on other ships) was always clean- thank you Arthur.

3. Embarkation and disembarkation in Brooklyn were quick and easy. We drove up from the Philadelphia area and used express disembarkation (highly recommend if you can manage your own luggage).

4. The fettucini alfredo was good the first time I ordered it, but not as good the other three times I ordered it (see below for other observations on the food).

The Bad and the Ugly:

1. The food- bland and uninspired. This includes the buffet, dining rooms, and Crown Grill. I'm normally an adventurous eater and have never in all past cruises ordered anything from the "available anytime" menu, but this time, I ended up with fettucini for 4 nights out of 7. Sabatini's was good and I would have been quite happy stopping after the first 12 course or so. ;)

2. I'm not sure if this is a good way to describe things, but it often felt like things were done as an afterthought or not well thought out to begin with. For example, the choice of photo locations for when coming off the ship, I would rather have giant lobster or even a palm tree in the background than a forklift. In the gym, my husband (who is 5'-11"- fairly tall, but not freakishly so) had trouble using the ellipticals because the ceiling is so low. The tendering situation in Newport was bad. My husband and I timed it well so we didn't have any problems geting on or off the ship, but we left Newport several hours late because the terndering was not executed well.

3. Service was lackluster, especially considering all the glowing reviews I had read/heard. It was especially bad in the Michaelangelo dining room. One night we were seated at a table for two and then ignored for 15 minutes- no one ackowledged us. We got up and left and ate in DaVinci without incident. We had also eaten in Michaelangelo the first night and had lousy serice that night too. I was kind of wondering if the fact that with Anytime Dining, the waitstaff isn't working for specific tips, they are less inclined to offer good service.

4. The icing on the cake though was when were accused of lying about having a bottle of wine left over from a previous dinner. They eventually found it (the server in Sabatini's hadn't followed the correct procedure for storing the wine). I understand that people are often trying to get something for nothing, but the crew's first reaction that the passenger is wrong/lying and that their staff can do no wrong goes against most customer service principles.

I meant to keep this brief, but the more I wrote, the more annoyed I got. My parents were on this ship in June and had a completely different experience, but they were also first-time cruisers and had nothing to compare it to. I wouldn't say the cruise was ruined by any means, but it was dissappointing and I doubt that we'll be back on Princess. Before anyone thinks/writes something to the effect of "good, go back to XYZ cruise line- more room for us on Princess"- save it. That's what is great about having different cruising options- something for everyone. Perhaps these were all isolated incidents, but cumulatively, they have left a bad taste in my mouth for Princess and even cruising in general for the time being.

But if you have any questions on the ports or specifics of the ship, ask away.

Heather

We were off the Crown last week 9/6 to 9/15 and I also had a couple isolated incidents mainly with Sabatini's (wine issue) and passenger services (resolutuon of wine issue and disembarkation)but overall we had a wonderful wonderful cruise!

Melissa

Hi All:

The passenger services department really does need alot of work on the Crown. They tend not to be too customer oriented which could leave a very bad "taste" with some cruisers. Above all, most of the crew from passenger services seem to be on "different pages" regarding shipbpard policies and procedures. I also think they need to get a different group of servers and a new Matre Di in Sabatini's

Melissa

Hi Heather,

Question about Newport - did you guys have any weather problems (wind, etc..) when you were there?

We did this trip a few years ago and it was a windy day. Didn't seem too excessive to me (walking around in port - just seemed windy to me) but it turned out it was gale force winds. They stopped tendering at noon so anyone who had gotten off the ship could stay in port but everyone else had to stay on the ship. We had problems tendering back - it probably took an hour to get back on the ship because of the wind. I heard this was a common issue in Newport and was wondering if you had any weather issues that would contribute to the poor tendering situation.

Theresa

Hi Heather,

Question about Newport - did you guys have any weather problems (wind, etc..) when you were there?

We did this trip a few years ago and it was a windy day. Didn't seem too excessive to me (walking around in port - just seemed windy to me) but it turned out it was gale force winds. They stopped tendering at noon so anyone who had gotten off the ship could stay in port but everyone else had to stay on the ship. We had problems tendering back - it probably took an hour to get back on the ship because of the wind. I heard this was a common issue in Newport and was wondering if you had any weather issues that would contribute to the poor tendering situation.

Theresa

There was a light breeze that day, but nothing that would have slowed down the tenders. From what people were saying, the tender operation was just slow. When we were waiting in line to come back (which wasn't very long at that point), the tenders were frequently sitting there empty for 10+ minutes before they would allow people to board. This was the first Crown run for the Canada/New England season, so there may have been some bugs that needed to be worked out. It just seemed like there weren't enough tenders and at one point, they were using a ferry/tour boat to get people back to the ship.

There was a light breeze that day, but nothing that would have slowed down the tenders. From what people were saying, the tender operation was just slow. When we were waiting in line to come back (which wasn't very long at that point), the tenders were frequently sitting there empty for 10+ minutes before they would allow people to board. This was the first Crown run for the Canada/New England season, so there may have been some bugs that needed to be worked out. It just seemed like there weren't enough tenders and at one point, they were using a ferry/tour boat to get people back to the ship.

Thanks for the answer. You may have hit the nail on it when you said it was the first run of the season. Whenever I have done repo cruises or the first Alaskan run of the season, it does seem unorganized in the ports. Maybe it takes several stops there each season to get the hang of it in ports. Also, often there is a switch over in personnel at the end of cruising seasons (such as the end of Europe, end of Alaska, etc...) Not sure if that was your case but maybe that could explain the dining problems.

I am sorry your first experience with Princess was not impressive. Maybe down the road there will be a Princess itinerary that interests you and you will give Princess another chance --and hopefully they will do better next time as it sounds like this was not a very good cruise. I understand the "bad taste" statement - we had a bad experience with Celebrity and while they are ranked very high, I have been hesitant to sail with them again.

Again, thanks for your comments.

You're definitely not the first to notice a distinct difference in service between Michaelangelo and DaVinci -- I've read others saying the same thing on here, and I certainly noticed it myself when onboard. Although I'm sure more people report negative than positive experiences, there does seem to be something systemically wrong down there in Mike's (if I may be permitted that informality).

I'm sorry about those things that made your cruise less than good. Individually, each is perhaps no big deal (except for the accusations of lying, which is inexcusable), but the cumulative effect of such irritants can really detract from a positive impression. I, too, hope you give Princess another try sometime, perhaps on one of the smaller ships; I keep thinking that a lot of the Crown's issues have to do with a size that just is too unwieldy -- just too damn many people! Thanks for posting -- not all Princess lovers will jump on you if you don't praise everything to the skies (in fact, bonus points to you if you also detestedTim Donovan, the CD!!).

Thanks for the review ! You do have to wonder how things run when they change to a different itinerary ? I'm sure it's an adjustment for all !

I'm on the repo cruise so I'm just curious to know if you heard that many of the employees were almost at the end of their contract ? I'm just hoping they will all be happy to be going to warmer waters and be in great moods :D !!!

Most people didn't realize that the port stop at Newport last week was the very first time this ship had tendered anyone, anywhere.

The Crown used all the tenders they had on the ship. Due to the short time in port, Princess tried to hire 3 extra shore tenders to speed things up. Two of the shore tenders broke down immediately and couldn't assist. The remaining shore tender wasn't much help. There were no other shore tenders available in Newport, so they had to make the best with what they had.

I rarely book a cruise that is the first of the season. It always takes the ship a few trips to work out the bugs and test what works best.

On the other hand, if you are the adventurous sort, first-time cruises are never dull.

Could you tell me how difficult it would be for an elderly person of limited mobility to get on/off the tender boats at Newport? Was there many steps to climb up/down? How long was the tender ride approx?

Aslo, did you have anytime dining or traditional? Thanks for any info. Sorry you had some bad experiences, and hopefully you still enjoyed most of your cruise. Thanks for the review, even though I was hoping to read that it is a wonderful cruise. We don't leave until mid October, hoping they are more organized by then.

So sorry, Heather, that this trip wasn't all you wanted it to be. If, you don't mind me asking a dumb question, do you happen to remember which night, if any, was Italian night in the dining room? We are taking this cruise next Saturday and I'd like to make specialty dining reservations for Italian night.

Thanks!

Most people didn't realize that the port stop at Newport last week was the very first time this ship had tendered anyone, anywhere.

Not true, or at least a mis-statement. All last summer, on its trips to Grand Cayman, tenders were used. Now, in Grand Cayman, I believe we used tenders from Grand Cayman. So, this may be the first time its own tenders were used.

Could you tell me how difficult it would be for an elderly person of limited mobility to get on/off the tender boats at Newport? Was there many steps to climb up/down? How long was the tender ride approx?

I am not the OP but I can tell you that Princess is very good helping those with limited mobility. My mom is visually impaired and the staff is very helpful making sure she gets on the tender easily. Most of the time they have people on either side of the tender when you get on to help those of us who are not elderly or have limited mobility.

Also, when you go to leave the ship on tender ports - there is an elevator that you can take down to the bottom deck. Just ask for assistance as they usually point people to the stairs.

The tender ride should not be that long (it is not that far). We did run into problems with winds so ours did take quite a while but the distance was not that far.

Aslo, did you have anytime dining or traditional? Thanks for any info. Sorry you had some bad experiences, and hopefully you still enjoyed most of your cruise. Thanks for the review, even though I was hoping to read that it is a wonderful cruise. We don't leave until mid October, hoping they are more organized by then.

On the particular tenders I was on, there was no one that needed any additional assistance. However, there were many elderly people on the boat and a good number of those seemed to have limited mobility, and I doubt they all stayed on board in the tender ports (Newport and Bar Harbor). So I owuld imagine that the crew is used to helping those with mobility issues in and out of the tenders. There were a few steps (maybe 3 or 4 inside the tenders and the rides were about 15 minutes, plus or minus a few minutes.

We had anytime dining. I liked being able to eat when I wanted and we didn't have much of a wait- the lonfest was one night for 15 minutes becasue we wanted a table for two. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with traditional. I like seeing the same people every night (assuming you get seated with a nice group) and I think the service may have been a little better- just my opinion.

So sorry, Heather, that this trip wasn't all you wanted it to be. If, you don't mind me asking a dumb question, do you happen to remember which night, if any, was Italian night in the dining room? We are taking this cruise next Saturday and I'd like to make specialty dining reservations for Italian night.

Thanks!

No, I'm sorry, I'm not sure. This itinerary was reveresed from the one that will be running the rest of the season, so it may not even be the same night anyway. Of the nights we ate in the dinig room, none were specified as Italian that I remember.

Although the reviews of this sailing vary, one thing is consistent.... the dining room food and service. I noticed that comment cards were usually on each table so I wonder if this is an indication that Princess is aware of the problems.

Although there are a number of postings citing Michaelangelo as poorer service than DaVinci, our experience was just the opposite. We ate in both dining rooms and while Michaelangelo was better for us, neither earned a consistent positive thought. I mean, it was good...but could have been better.

I had a problem one evening and made the appropriate comments on a comment card. After turning it in at the Pursers Desk, I have to admit that the Maitre d', Daniele Saredi went out of his way to 'make it right'. It would be unfair for me to go into great detail about the problem and resolution because I feel the response was sincere.

Anyway, maybe the comment cards are an indication they realize that improvement is needed. If this is the case, its important to use them to provide positive and negative feedback.

We are on the Crown again on October 20th, so it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement.

We're just off the Crown today after a Canada/New England itinerary.

3. Embarkation and disembarkation in Brooklyn were quick and easy. We drove up from the Philadelphia area and used express disembarkation (highly recommend if you can manage your own luggage).

Heather

Heather,

I'm from Philly and have thought about cruising from ny (i think ncl might sail from brooklyn too). Anyway did you rentacar or park your own? Who did u use? Cost? Any problems?

tia,

Heather,

I'm from Philly and have thought about cruising from ny (i think ncl might sail from brooklyn too). Anyway did you rentacar or park your own? Who did u use? Cost? Any problems?

tia,

We drove ourselves (it was just about two hours). I believe the parking was $18 per day- the total came to $128. There was plenty of parking and it was easy to get to. Between driving ourselves and the express disembarkation, we were home by 10:30AM. I'm not even sure if everyone else would have been off the ship by then. :-)

I am a loyal Princess cruiser and only one trip (3 weeks after 9/11) did I feel that service was not up to par. We cruised New England on the Star last year and it was about as perfect as a cruise could get. Service was over the top. I think it depends on the crew and their contract cycle sometimes. I had a very a similar experience to your on Celebrity. Outstanding room steward and butler, but the dinning room was awful (dropped the try, twice) and because we were younger (early 30's on a 17 day trip) were insulted by some the passengers that we didn't "pay" for the trip. Needless to say I haven't been on Celebrity since.

It seems that the recently new Princess ships always have this issue. The Crown was fantastic last year, but the Caribbean suffered. I have heard great things about the Emerald, but the Crown isn't so hot this year. I can honestly say, that my last few Princess cruises (Sapphire, Caribbean, Star & Diamond) have been great. Very good service, food and quite enjoyable. Oh and food i agree that they old menu's are rather bland. I here the new menu is quite good.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your trip as much as you would have liked, hopefully you will try Princess again in the future. New England is an amazing trip none the less.

Pa Heather,

Appreciate your post!

We sail on the 6th of October. What were the temps like in the ports? Also, were you able to see any fall foilage? I understand that the colors may not be out much yet, but hope to see lots of color in a couple of weeks. What do you think?

Archived