Why Doesn't Carnival Sail From NY All Year Round

franncos

I was stationed in the NY shipping lane for two years and nor'easter or not, most of the time from Nov through March, a calm day had 10ft seas and averaged higher than that. Storms would push the seas to greater than 30 feet. While snow in NYC may be a problem, I think that ocean condition is the major reason for not using the port. Some of the lines that are starting to do it will probably find seasick people for the first two days at sea.

I still vote for Carnival in NY year round. I'd rather sail in snow than fly in it! Besides, if you live in this area you'll have to deal with the snow anyway.

But you are forgetting about all the passengers that will have to fly and if NYC has a horrible snow storm, they are not going to be flying there. And that means they do not get on the ship. How fair is that? There are way to many reasons not to go in the winter, and so few to go.

And that's why one day I'm going to be moving out of the city to a place that has no snow either. :p

me too :)

Anyway ncl sails year round from here. And now so does rccl. Hal sails thru this coming winter. They are leaving oct 08 tho I hear.

probably when all the new docks are finished carnival will be year round here too.

NYC area airports rank up there with Chicago and Atlanta for flight delays... in winter it gets even worse. As attractive it is for the large local population the air travel issues have to hurt.

We also cruised out of NYC in OCtober, two years in a row, and ran into heavy seas and high winds... on one trip it made us 2 hrs late cause we could not keep up the speed.

But you are forgetting about all the passengers that will have to fly and if NYC has a horrible snow storm, they are not going to be flying there. And that means they do not get on the ship. How fair is that? There are way to many reasons not to go in the winter, and so few to go.

That's certainly true, yet other lines seem to make it work. :confused:

I wish that cruise lines sailed out of more east coast ports. If they can sail from Baltimore, Norfolk and Charleston to Bermuda in the summer, why not from there to the Bahamas/Caribbean in the winter? Less chance of bad winter weather closing the airports in those cities, too.

I've driven from NC to Canaveral just to avoid the airfare. I'd happily drive the 2-3 hours to Norfolk to cruise. I'd reach Platinum in no time!!!

Well as someone who lives On marylands Eastern shore and frequents the Bay Bridge. I can tell you that for a few weeks during the winter the bay will actualy freeze into a solid sheet of ice from shore to shore. It has to be pretty darn cold for many days straight to do this. But it has happened.

But how nice would it be to leave the port in the middle of a little snow storm and just watch all the snow melt away as you get out to the gulf stream and turn south. I think that would be so enjoyable.

Please remeber most people will not be flying into NYC in the winter to catch a cruise. What I am saying within the area of NYC drving which reaches million of people they should be able to fully book a cruise during the winter. Remeber weather is a problem no where you live. Ok except for San Diego in February.

me too :)

Anyway ncl sails year round from here. And now so does rccl. Hal sails thru this coming winter. They are leaving oct 08 tho I hear.

probably when all the new docks are finished carnival will be year round here too.

I doubt I would take a cruise from here in the winter. The earliest I would go is May and the latest Oct.

We are thinking of retiring to Arizona. Although the Texas coast sounds nice too. :D

See, that makes sense. My parents, on the other hand, left Chicago and retired in Green Bay, WI:confused: Yes, we have family up there, but still...

As for cruising out of New York in the winter, I don't know whay Carnival doesn't do it. I know other lines make it work, and I'm kind of shocked they're able to keep the ships full Oct-May. I personally wouldn't want to spend money on a vacation to get out the cold when at least 2 days (one down, one up) have the potential to be freezing.

Carnival is the #1 cruise line for a reason. I'm sure they've done a ton of research regarding this. For some reason, I'd bet that Carnival's target customer is not interested in sailing out of NYC in the winter.

See, that makes sense. My parents, on the other hand, left Chicago and retired in Green Bay, WI:confused: Yes, we have family up there, but still...

As for cruising out of New York in the winter, I don't know whay Carnival doesn't do it. I know other lines make it work, and I'm kind of shocked they're able to keep the ships full Oct-May. I personally wouldn't want to spend money on a vacation to get out the cold when at least 2 days (one down, one up) have the potential to be freezing.

Carnival is the #1 cruise line for a reason. I'm sure they've done a ton of research regarding this. For some reason, I'd bet that Carnival's target customer is not interested in sailing out of NYC in the winter.

Years ago the cruise ships mostly left out of NY. My parents cruised a lot during the 50s, 60s and 70s and they only left out of NY.

Any other thought's

Is this a test or do you have a specific answer you are looking or hoping to receive? You have asked/bumped this up 4 times and it seems the responses are pretty much the same. Despite living within 6 hours of driving to NYC I'm glad my first cruise experience was NOT out of NYC. 2 friends have both sailed on their first cruises from NY and both during the winter months. Both swore they'd never cruise again because they got sick from the ship rocking so much. With that being their first impression they've both sworn off cruising. The responses have been the weather, the ocean, possibly having no heat on the ships but really Carnival is the only one that knows the reason for not sailing from NY in the winter months. Perhaps a letter to them asking for reasons although you may or may not get a reply. Since other lines do sail from NY maybe they can offer their experiences which may give insight? Other than that I'm not really sure what you can expect by bumping this up? :)

Right? Nothing like getting an email alert, and opening it up just to see, "ANY OTHER THOUGHTS?" :rolleyes:

I will now unsubscribe to this thread, now that it has run its course, and has had four phoenix like reincarnations.

These are my thoughts.

You would also have to keep breaking up the ice at the peir and have a path to a channel clear of ice.

Ships hulls are also rated by thinckness for the amount of ice they are expected to encounter (forget the terms but will look it up). This could be why some individual ships could sail through the channel ice and not others.

Archived