Anyone want to cruise in May 2008?

JoKen1

I'm going to be turning 50 in May and I would love to go on a cruise to celebrate but no one I know wants to go with me. Well it's not so much they don't want to go but they can't go for some reason or another. So I'm still going to go!

I have not booked it yet but thought it would be fun to get a group of us solo cruisers and go together. I'm not talking about sharing a room but just going on the same cruise and maybe getting a table at dinner together as that seems to be the biggest thing people have a problem with when cruising solo.

I'm not picky about where we go. But I would want it to be around 7-10 days.

I just got back from my first solo cruise to Alaska so I'm hoping to go some other place.

Anyone want to plan a trip with me? I think it would be super to get a few of us so we can at least know we will have someone at dinner to talk to. Then if people get along we can hang out as much as we want.

Well, I was going to invite you to join our group on the Rhapsody of the Seas in May but its to Alaska (where you've already been). There are a couple of us that post here that will be on that sailing.

I hope you can find some people to join you.

... I have not booked it yet but thought it would be fun to get a group of us solo cruisers and go together. I'm not talking about sharing a room but just going on the same cruise and maybe getting a table at dinner together as that seems to be the biggest thing people have a problem with when cruising solo...

... Anyone want to plan a trip with me? I think it would be super to get a few of us so we can at least know we will have someone at dinner to talk to. Then if people get along we can hang out as much as we want.

Sounds like a great idea!. However, I suggest you consider making your group cruise an official Cruise Critic Member Cruise. For more information, click Member Cruises. Also, be sure to read How to be a Cruise Critic Group Leader in 10 easy steps.

Per the Community Guidelines :

Member Cruises

Cruise Critic recognizes that our Community Members like to meet each other on board their cruises by planning a Group Cruise. We encourage our members to do so. To assist you in planning your cruise, please avail yourself of Cruise Critic's Member Cruise Program.

Decision-making discussions regarding the 'who, what, where, & when' of your group cruise are welcomed on all forums. After booking through our Program, you may continue answering questions about your group cruise on any forum here at Cruise Critic. All members booked on Cruise Critic groups may include links and pictures to the group cruise information in their signatures. However, those booked should frequent the special forum set up just for your cruise to have "fun" until you sail!

We respectfully request that forums set up for our Member Cruises be frequently only by those who have booked the sailing.

Only official Cruise Critic Group Cruises may be promoted anywhere on our cruise forums. This includes graphics, links, banners and references to any non-Cruise Critic Group Cruise. Any promotional material posted on the forums about non-Cruise Critic Group Cruises will be removed without notice.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you try to promote a non-Cruise Critic group cruise on the boards, your posts will have to be removed.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns about Cruise Critic policies, the following information is posted many places on the boards:

Questions, comments & concerns regarding the management of our message boards should be directed to: community@cruisecritic.com. Posts regarding these issues will be removed.

Edited to add: Another member started an adults only Cruise Critic Member Cruise but then opened the group to others considering single parents and such. You might want to contact him for more information and tips about being a Cruise Critic Group Leader. Click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=515033 for his thread on this forum titled Join us! 8 Days of Miracle CC Group Cruise-02/27/08.

I hope this information will be helpful! 32.gif

Kat020105_emYA11_prv.gif

I'm going to be turning 50 in May and I would love to go on a cruise to celebrate but no one I know wants to go with me. Well it's not so much they don't want to go but they can't go for some reason or another. So I'm still going to go!

I have not booked it yet but thought it would be fun to get a group of us solo cruisers and go together. I'm not talking about sharing a room but just going on the same cruise and maybe getting a table at dinner together as that seems to be the biggest thing people have a problem with when cruising solo.

I'm not picky about where we go. But I would want it to be around 7-10 days.

I just got back from my first solo cruise to Alaska so I'm hoping to go some other place.

Anyone want to plan a trip with me? I think it would be super to get a few of us so we can at least know we will have someone at dinner to talk to. Then if people get along we can hang out as much as we want.

Hi, JoKen:)

I just read CC Host Kat's response to your message with great interest. If you have the time and energy, I think you should go for it and try to promote a CC group cruise! You'd learn a lot and I'm sure it would be great fun. My birthday is also in May and I had been thinking about taking a Mediterranean cruise to celebrate. However, I'm having some health issues that need to be resolved before I can commit to any more travel. But I love your idea and think you should definitely go for it. I noticed in this forum that there seems to be interest in the Med and Tahiti as destinations. Just a thought . . .

Deb

Hi, JoKen:)

I just read Kat's response to your message with great interest. If you have the time and energy, I think you should go for it and try to promote a CC group cruise! You'd learn a lot and I'm sure it would be great fun. My birthday is also in May and I had been thinking about taking a Mediterranean cruise to celebrate. However, I'm having some health issues that need to be resolved before I can commit to any more travel. But I love your idea and think you should definitely go for it.

Deb

Hi JoKen:

What fun to plan for your 50th. I agree with Sansouci, maybe try to promote a CC group cruise.

If not, I hope other solos who have cruises planned for May 2008 will follow wrp96's lead and pop in and mention them to you.

If I were in your position ( definite month of interest, but flexible on itinerary) I'd try a couple of other things that might ensure meeting others pre-cruise:

1. Browse thru the Cruise Members Cruise List & see if there's a match with an itinerary that interests you.

2. Browse thru the Rolls Calls of cruiselines you favor & look for one with a very active Roll Call up and going and check those cruises out.

3. Go to some of the many internet women's travel sites....some offer cruises.

If your original post gets removed because of its wording, ie: a sollicitation, I would immediately start a NEW thread along the lines of: "Solos-Where Are You Cruising in May 2008?" Perhaps other solos will share their plans for May 2008, why they chose the cruise, etc. You may get ideas that way and you'd at least know another solo selected it.

Good Luck & Happy 50th! Martha

I just thought it would be fun to get solo cruisers together rather then all CC members. Not that other CC members wouldn't be a blast to be around and I will post as suggested. However, us solo people tend to feel a bit of a "tag" around with couples and others that travel with frineds/family so I thought a group of us solos would be fun rather then asking everyone.

Hey, if I can't find anyone up for going then maybe I will go to Alaska with you guys! I loved Alaska and going on a different ship would be nice. Like I said, I just want to go somewhere and meet some new friends and celebrate my birthday.

We solo travelers really should make an effort to try to travel together more so we can feel safer (even though I've always felt safe) have someone to have dinner with (even though most likely we meet people) and have a new friend with a common interest.

Looks like I may have to change the month I travel in. Which is fine. There just doesn't seem to anything going on my birthday.

JoKen, you are going to turn 50 one time and one time only. This advice is totally unsolicited, but I think you should plan a spectacular event for your 50th birthday! So what if no one here can join you? Don't compromise your dreams based on the schedules of others! I urge you to plan something really special -- a celebration you will always remember -- for this milestone birthday. I promise: you won't regret it.;)

Oh I agree. Hitting 50 is going to be the big one! So I'm going to plan something great. I don't mind if no one here goes. I just have not found anything in May that sounds like a cruise I really want to go on. At least it's not durning my birthday which is on the 22nd. SO I may just celebrate a month later or earlier. But I'm doing something fun!

At least it's not durning my birthday which is on the 22nd. SO I may just celebrate a month later or earlier. But I'm doing something fun!

Well, are you completely wedded to the idea of a cruise? Last year I celebrated by spending 5 nites in Honolulu (LOTS to do there besides the great beaches), followed by a cruise of the islands. It was about 2 weeks altogether and I loved Hawaii. Although plans for this year are still up in the air while I try to resolve some health issues, I've already put down a deposit for a 1-wk. land tour of Barcelona. Since it's a port city, I thought I'd book a Med cruise either pre- or post my Gaudi architectural pilgrimage. That was how I happened to start the Med cruise solo thread asking for advice about Mediterranean cruises. I enjoy the idea of cruising, but not to the exclusion of land-based tours where I can choose a place I want to visit and explore a bit more than a cruise allows. For me, combining some of each gives me the perfect vacation.:D

If this idea appeals to you, then I'll share this strategy that I've used for planning purposes. Look closely at the websites of the big CC advertisers which do not have the word "cruise" in the title. One of them has an extremely comprehensive online TA site which covers all sorts of land tours as well as cruises. I'm not recommending that you use it for booking purposes, only to get trip ideas. Hope this helps!

Deb

Hi, I turn 50 in March and already booked a 10 nighter:)

I booked it 6 months ago while I was on a cruise:D for my 49th

birthday! Do you see a pattern?;)

Having other solo's on board has never concerned me. I always

end up meeting other passengers and always have a wonderful

time:)

I agree, 50 is definitely a milestone and I am going on my most

favorite form of vacation for it...a cruise of course:D

Great idea Deb. Thanks. I really did want to do a cruise for my 50th though. I did the Hawaii land trip for my 30th and it was great!

I like the idea of going someplace and then adding a cruise on at the end. Great way to get a double trip in there. I'll have to look into those.

Lois, I agree that you don't really need anyone else to go as you will meet people but I just thought it may be fun to meet some of the CC solo travlers too. But you're right. Even if no one wants to go with me I'll still book alone. :D

JoKen, you are going to turn 50 one time and one time only. This advice is totally unsolicited, but I think you should plan a spectacular event for your 50th birthday! So what if no one here can join you? Don't compromise your dreams based on the schedules of others! I urge you to plan something really special -- a celebration you will always remember -- for this milestone birthday. I promise: you won't regret it.;)

I totally agree! I turn 55 in January and am booked on a cruise to the place I have wanted to go since childhood: Antarctica! [Of course, it does not bother me to travel solo on this cruise so that is not an issue.] I hope you plan a super 50th event, go for what YOU want to do!!!

Oh that sounds like a wonderful trip too. How nice you are finally getting to live out a childhood dream. How long are you going for?

You guys isn't in great to be free enough to be ok with traveling solo? Just think of all the trips we would miss out on if we had to wait for others to go with us. I know for me I've missed out on years and years of great trips because I didn't want to go alone.

Now I feel so free to go where I want and when I want. If someone wants to go with me that is super but if not.............I'm not missing out, they are!

Oh any time you can go to Hawaii it's well worth it! I've been a few times now. Not to all islands though. I would love to do a cruise there someday. That way I can do the cruise and see bits of each island to see if I want to go back for a week or two to any certain island.

That's one thing I think is great about going on a cruise. You get a taste of places and then you can always go back and spend more time there if you enjoy it and want more.

Oh that sounds like a wonderful trip too. How nice you are finally getting to live out a childhood dream. How long are you going for?

You guys isn't in great to be free enough to be ok with traveling solo? Just think of all the trips we would miss out on if we had to wait for others to go with us. I know for me I've missed out on years and years of great trips because I didn't want to go alone.

Now I feel so free to go where I want and when I want. If someone wants to go with me that is super but if not.............I'm not missing out, they are!

The trip is about 3 weeks total, 14 nights on the ship, 6 land nights. And of course the 2 overnight flight days.

What did you decide to do for your 50th? Did I miss that in the thread?

No you didn't miss it. I have not decided yet. So nothing is booked yet.

When you have land nights on a cruise do you still stay on the ship or do you stay in a hotel?

What cruise line are you going on? It sounds like a great trip. I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

I've did a solo for my 50. I was going to do a b2b solo but, my dd surprised me and joined me on the second:D

If you want to so a solo, just go for it. Yes, it would be nice if we could just join up here but CC says no.

But you can look at ROLL calls for the dates/sailings you want and see if there are other solos going.

When you have "land" days on a cruise, the ship is your hotel.

No you didn't miss it. I have not decided yet. So nothing is booked yet.

When you have land nights on a cruise do you still stay on the ship or do you stay in a hotel?

What cruise line are you going on? It sounds like a great trip. I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Actually, the land nights are in hotel. I am doing an extension before the cruise. 2 nights Buenos Aires, 2 nights El Carafate, 1 night Ushuaia before the cruise, and 1 night Buenos Aires after the cruise. Cruiseline is Voyages of Discovery.

I'm a solo cruiser and looking for a special cruise for my 50th too. It's not until 2009 but I can just celebrate being 49 in 2008 LOL. I know several other solo cruisers too who would be interested in joining a group cruise for singles/solo cruisers. Give the CC group cruise some thought. One advantage is the ability to market this cruise right here at the boards. Solo cruisers love meeting others like themselves (at least I do) . If you pick a 7-10 day cruise which is a length most would be able to go on, I bet you might get quite a few takers. :)

My 50th birthday gift to myself -- My 1st CRUISE -- is what started my addiction. and what a wonderful addiction to have!! :p

May (20) will be my 55th bday and am looking forward to taking advantage of those "senior rates" LOL! I too might be interested in a cruise around that time. I prefer RCCL, if it matters to anyone :rolleyes: .

Keep me in mind if you choose to do a CC cruise. I'll subscribe to this thread so I can keep up with what's going on.

Nancy

Oh this is WONDERFUL! I don't really mind which cruise line we go on. I'm ready to pack and go! :D

Would you guys be up for a Mexican Rivera 7-10 cruise? If so I'll look into it and see what dates are out there.

Archived