Please Don"t Use Your Hands!

dwillis43

Just off the Vision and I can not believe the number of people that refuse to use the utensil in the Windjammer to pick up food. Instead they would rather use there hands. not the children but the adults! The cruise experience was wonderful for the most part but I believe I will skip the buffet thank you. I know I am preaching to the choir, but I had to vent...Thank you!

Unfortunately, hand sanitizer is not hand sterilizer. Someone could use the anitbacterial gel, then touch the food (rather than using the proper utensil like the OP was saying). However, hand sanitizer is better than nothing. Frequent handwashing and picking up food with the provided utensil are the best ways to go.

That was one of the best things about HAL and their Lido. Other than desserts all of the food is put on your plate by the Lido crew all with gloves on. I, actually, liked the food in the Lido, and I think part of the reason I don't like the windjammer as well is the people serving themselves.

I tend to eat Breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dining room except when we are in port and then it is 50/50 room service or windjammer.

jc

:D Sadly, possibly true, but what I don't know doesn't hurt me as much as what I have seen. IE when I see a nose picking crumb cruncher fingering the chicken tenders it makes me sick, when I see a professional waiter bringing me food it doesn't. :D So, I will stick with my answer even if it might be wrong.:D

jc

Just off the Vision and I can not believe the number of people that refuse to use the utensil in the Windjammer to pick up food. Instead they would rather use there hands. not the children but the adults! The cruise experience was wonderful for the most part but I believe I will skip the buffet thank you. I know I am preaching to the choir, but I had to vent...Thank you!
Assuming I take all the food I touch, you're more likely to pick up something from the tongs I used just before you.

He or she said "they think they are safer by using their hands"

These morons are definately not THINKING.

Heck why bother to use the utensils? They did'nt bother to wash their hands before they came out of the rest room so why ruin a perfect track record with tongs or soap and water?

Updated: 5:25 p.m. CT Sept 17, 2007

function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633256647246770000');

CHICAGO - The gender gap has widened when it comes to hygiene, according to the latest stakeout by the "hand washing police."

One-third of men didn't bother to wash after using the bathroom, compared with 12 percent of women, said the researchers who spy on people in public restrooms. They reported their latest findings Monday at a meeting of infectious disease scientists.

Two years ago, the last time the survey was done, only one-quarter of men didn't wash, compared with 10 percent of women.

ad_dap('250','300','&PG=NBCMSH&AP=1089');

"Guys need to step up to the sink," said Brian Sansoni, spokesman for the Soap and Detergent Association, which co-sponsors the survey and related education campaigns.

The latest study was based on observations last month of more than 6,000 people in four big cities.

AP_WASHINGHANDS.gif

Frequent hand washing is the single best thing people can do to avoid getting sick, from colds and the flu to germs lurking in food, doctors say. And a recent Harris Interactive survey found 92 percent of Americans said they usually or always wash up after using the bathroom.

But researchers for the American Society for Microbiology found that only 77 percent actually do, when it comes to public restrooms. That's a 6 percent decline from a similar study in 2005.

The dirty details:

• <LI class=textBodyBlack>Atlanta's Turner Field baseball stadium again was the worst. Only 57 percent of guys there washed up, compared to 95 percent of women. <LI class=textBodyBlack>New York was to Chicago in cleanliness. In restrooms at the Windy City's Shedd Aquarium and Museum of Science and Industry, 81 percent of men and women combined washed their hands, compared to 79 percent at the Big Apple's Penn and Grand Central train stations.
  • At San Francisco's Ferry Terminal Farmers Market, 62.5 percent of men lathered up. Women did better, with 84 percent.

Carry sanitizer gels and wipes in case the means to wash your hands aren't handy, suggested microbiologist Judy Daly of Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, who led the project.

These are a marvelous addition to plain soap and water," she said.

Telephone surveys by the research firm Harris Interactive show little shift in attitudes over previous polls in 2003 and 2005. The latest was of 1,001 adults from Aug. 17-20.

Nearly three-fourths of Americans said they always wash up after changing a diaper, 78 percent said they do so after handling or eating food; 42 percent after petting a dog or cat, 25 percent after handling money, and 34 percent after coughing or sneezing.

He or she said "they think they are safer by using their hands"

These morons are definately not THINKING.

Heck why bother to use the utensils? They did'nt bother to wash their hands before they came out of the rest room so why ruin a perfect track record with tongs or soap and water?

Personal attacks and name calling are against board rules.

When I was on my last cruise both ice dispensers were not working the whole cruise. So carnival put out two very large bins and filled them with ice. People were putting in there whole hands and dirty cups and getting ice. This went on for the whole cruise.

I totally agree! For some reason they never put sanitizing liquid at anywhere on the AOS, even at the buffet or when you return on board the ship from ports. I carry hand sanitizer with me all the time.

I was on AOS in February, and the hand sanitizer thingies were very visable upon entering the Windjammer, and all other eating areas...they even had staff walking around with it.

Ooops...just read on another thread that it has been taken off the ships...but it was there in February!

Assuming I take all the food I touch, you're more likely to pick up something from the tongs I used just before you.

The problem is most that I watched picked a cookie or a roll that was not up front or they one pick one up and even put it back. So your assumption is way off base. Just use the utensils or have the food delivered by room service and you can touch it all you want.

This happened quite often in the Windjammer on our cruise last month on EOS out of Bayonne to the Eastern Carribean. I got sick of seeing it - both adults and children - and felt like saying something. What was almost comical was there were a few occasions that the adult in front of me appeared to be not able to use tongs for whatever reason. One time I saw a woman try her best to pick up a hamburger roll with tongs and just couldn't do it. She then put it aside and picked the bun up with her hands...and did the same with the hamburger itself.

That was one of the best things about HAL and their Lido. Other than desserts all of the food is put on your plate by the Lido crew all with gloves on. I, actually, liked the food in the Lido, and I think part of the reason I don't like the windjammer as well is the people serving themselves. jc

That's true how HAL does it, but it drives us bananas!! :rolleyes:

"Can I have some bacon, please?" One slice is put on my plate.

"Can I have some more bacon, please?" One more slice is put on my plate.

Next day: (getting smarter)

"Can I have 3 pieces of bacon, please?" One piece of bacon is put on my plate.

ARGH!!! If I wanted someone regulating my saturated fat intake, this would work great. Otherwise, it's a pain in the neck.

I can't stand germs. I always sanitize and wash my hands, and eat with a utenstil. I can't stand when somebody uses there hands (although finger foods are acceptable) to eat. And what really burns me up is when people walk into the bathroom and walk back out with out washing their hands. Can you say, "GROSS".

I just wish they'd get rid of the buffet altogether! Or, at least, have server's to handle the food. I know that's not a perfect solution, but the fewer folks around it, the fewer "creepie-crawlies" there may be!

We, too, use the dining room more than the buffet.

That's true how HAL does it, but it drives us bananas!! :rolleyes:

"Can I have some bacon, please?" One slice is put on my plate.

"Can I have some more bacon, please?" One more slice is put on my plate.

Next day: (getting smarter)

"Can I have 3 pieces of bacon, please?" One piece of bacon is put on my plate.

ARGH!!! If I wanted someone regulating my saturated fat intake, this would work great. Otherwise, it's a pain in the neck.

I won't disagree, but at least the crumb cruncher didn't touch it first. I just say, another please. Repeat often.

jc

Warning! Do not read the small print unless you are willing to be disgusted by my observation on serving utensils.

Watch people who use the serving utensils, they get some food on their fingers, and lick it off before grabbing the next serving utensil. I have seen it at every buffet I have ever observed. I, too, vote for Hal's Lido.

I have been to a lot of buffets and never seem to come down with a stomach bug.

I have seen this numerous times also.

I think these people are thinking they are avoiding other germs by not using the utensils.

It is just plain rude.....I agree use the utensils! :eek: :eek:

Arizona - a bit off topic, but I noticed you are cruising in 9 days and I wanted to congratulate you on your 40th anniversary!! Have a wonderful holiday :)

Archived