a note on cabin selection-- and some other details from our Voyager Dover-Nice cruise

poss

Because I haunted these boards a good deal in the months before our trip, and because so many of the posts were so very helpful to me, I thought I'd offer some feedback of my own. Starting with the fact that we loved the cruise, probably even more than our maiden voyage to the Baltics a few summers ago.

We'd been in cabin 651 last time and were perfectly delighted. By the time I booked this cruise, nothing mid-ship was available on deck 6 and only one cabin was left on deck 7: cabin 734. I mentioned to the Regent folks that there was probably some good reason why that (more or less midship) cabin was the last to go, and I was assured repeatedly that it was fine, exactly like the others. It may have been just a coincidence that it was the last to go, but now I doubt it. Turns out that we were above the space where the air-conditioners were. As a result there was a continuous steady thrum or hum in our cabin, not an especially objectionable noise (more like white noise), but one that bothered me a lot (didn't bother dh at all). I'm mentioning this because there's always lots of questions abt which cabin to choose, and I've never heard mention of being sure to get a cabin above other cabins if one is particularly noise-sensitive. In fact, our cabin 2 yrs ago was over the boutique, and it was virtually soundless, so I guess it's just a problem to be over some sort of equipment. I slept with ear-plugs every night, and that was somewhat of an annoyance, but I suspect that the vast majority of other folks in that cabin wouldn't have been bothered. Only mentioning it to forwarn the super-sensitive. In every other respect, we liked the cabin very much,and didn't mind at all seeing the lifeboat below. (It is not true, by the way-- as the Regent folks had proclaimed-- that one only sees the lifeboat if one is standing way out at the railing of the balcony. It is seen even from inside the cabin-- but no big deal. At least not for us.)

We liked the itinerary very much and especially appreciated having the several sea days. The Baltic cruise was heavily port intensive (but we loved it)and we never got much of a feel for the boat, never really had the pleasure of relaxing on it. As we'd wondered whether we'd like cruising at all, and found that we loved it, we wondered if we'd be bored or edgy with all the down time. Again, we loved it. Did most of the towns on our own, but went to Mont St Michel and Cancale from St Malo with a ship's tour. An excellent afternoon (terrific tour guide), tho we loved the hours walking around St Malo on our own as well. Really loved that port! Spent some hours walking around Bordeaux and then did the ship's tour to St Emilion. Another very pleasant combination. Bilbao, Lisbon, Cadiz, Barcelona (what am I forgetting?) on our own-- all much enjoyed.

The food: less spectacular than we'd remembered. Had dinnner at Signatures twice, once quite good, once medicore. (The duck and tournados Rossini we thought were excellent; the lamb pretty poor) Enjoyed Lattitudes the one time we were there, though found the service rushed and perfunctory. Liked Veranda, which I don't think we got to at all on our last trip. Felt the attitude and ambience there (especially Anna) were somehow more genuine, less "showy," more down to earth and truly caring. Compass Rose was a disappointment. The food certainly wasn't bad, but it rarely came up to the memorable quality that we'd enjoyed last time. (We didn't do formal night-- ate at Veranda that night.) On one of the informal nights, the dinner was as good as we've maybe had anywhere (rack of lamb-- perfect), but the rest was good without being great. The strawberry "festival" and chocoholic party at tea-time on each of the sea-days were marvelous. We found the service in the restaurants to be sometimes very pleasant, sometimes fairly poor. I'd say that maybe half the staff seemed genuinely to enjoy their work, genuinely to take pride and pleasure in what they were doing. The rest were putting in time: never surly or impolite, just not especially adding anything to the experience. Our stewardess couldn't wait to be off the boat, back home. Again, she wasn't bad, she did her work, but one never had the feeling that she was enjoying it.

I really didn't mean this to be a trip report. Mainly wanted to get the detail reported about the cabin. Seem to have gone on a bit. Will be glad to answer any specific questions.

Oh: great accommodation in Canterbury before the trip and really special accommodation in Nice after. Loved those hill towns above the Cote d'Azur!

Also: British Airways not as awful as they're cracked up to be. Quite ok, actually. Heathrow, though, I agree: not fun.

Bon Voyage, all-- and many thanks again for all the helpful in-put.

It is always helpful to learn about the pro's and con's of suites -- too bad you had to sleep with ear plugs.

There have been a few posts recently regarding the food quality on the Voyager -- wonder if there has been a change in the head chef:confused: Hopefully they will rectify the situation soon.

Glad that you had a good cruise!

We were upgraded to a D cabin on our last cruise.

Can't remember the cabin number but we were under LaVeranda

and the employees only staircase was across from our cabin door so

early in the morning we noticed the door shutting and above sometimes tables moving.

Probably why it was still open.

Not a big deal. Just noticed it. Would prefer to stick with our G or H cabins.

Good to hear your report, Poss. Too bad about the cabin, glad you liked the itinerary. Surprised about the food, but then our one Voyager cruise was a spotlight on food and wine and every bit of food in Compass Rose was great. I guess I'll find out in about 10 weeks in the Caribbean.

I remembered one other detail that I'd been asking abt before our cruise that I'd like to offer in-put on post-cruise. (I suppose the fact that there've been only 3 responses out of 300 "hits" shouldn't bother me; if anyone at all can be helped by my feed-back, that's great. I sure appreciated various kinds of personal response.)

I'd wondered how the massage services were on the Voyager. I knew they'd be more expensive that I'd been used to at home, but I adore that luxury and thought I might want to give it a try (esp as we had a $300 on board credit as part of our package). I did book a hot stone massage, and want to report that it was terrific. Maybe not the best I've ever had (Little Dix Bay spa was better, e.g.), but right up there with the best. BUT: though I'd even thought to book a second session (this was a 10 day cruise), I knew that I didn't want to when I learned that one had no choice of what music was played during the session. Much as I loved the massage itself, it was nowhere near as relaxing as it should have been/could have been. Part of the hour, the music was pleasant enough (obviously these things are subjective), but much of the hour was singing; I was really bothered by the sounds of voices. When I asked, I was told that music could be turned off, but that there was no choice for individual treatment rooms. Every other time I've had massage-- whether at home or at various resorts-- I've always been asked abt music preference, always been given some choice. In short, if that aspect of the "ambience" is very impt to someone, he/she might want to ask to hear the music beforehand. It didn't destroy the experience, but it for sure detracted from it.

Bottom line though: We loved our cruise!

Poss,

we will be on the Voyager in December for the Panama Canal cruise and I was wondering what the cost was for the hot stone massage. I would really like to try one. Do they offer a cupping treatment as well?

We have sailed on the Voyager a few times and have been in suites under the pool area and there is a little noise early in the AM, but nothing that has bothered us as we are early risers. This trip we are forward near the elevators where we like to be the most, but we have not always been able to get the suite of our choice. Last year we were in the same location on an other deck and loved it, and next year we are also there. We love the Voyager and have had only wonderful expierences on her in all parts of the world.

Poss,

Thanks for all your insights! We leave tomorrow for pre-cruise in Istanbul and then a 7 day cruise from Istanbul to Athens on Voyager. Can't believe it's almost here.

I agree with you that the music is very important during a massage. It's too bad that the rooms don't have separate controls for that. I guess we have to remember it's a ship after all. Glad you enjoyed your massage--I'm thinking about getting one. We are very port intensive, so we'll see if there is time.

Again, thanks for the review. It whets my crusing appetite even more!

Poss, Enjoyed your remarks about your cruise. We will be on the Voyager for an 11 night E. Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale in November and are really looking forward to it. It is our first time on RSSC. We have an H Guaranty right now. We've decided to have a great time no matter what cabin we end up with. Does anyone have an idea on how far in advance they generally assign guaranty cabins? Thanks very much.

Dorie: Can't remember exactly what the hot stone cost. Maybe around $145? Have never heard of cupping. Must try it sometime. Is that for leeches? :-)

Lynne: Bon Voyage! Zeus willing, we're hoping that our next cruise will be to Greece and Turkey-- or maybe the one that includes Dubrovnik.

Wingit and Wendy: We're incorrigible beach-bums (more snorkeling nuts actually). Try to get to one island or another once a year, usually early December before the rates (and crowds) increase. Will be returning to Virgin Gorda this time. Not sure that I'd enjoy doing a Caribbean cruise, but we sure do love the Caribbean!

Happy travels, all.

what exactly are guarnatees?

We booked a cabin category H guaranty. That means that the cruiseline will pick our cabin and we are guaranteed at least an H. On RSSC I believe that is the lowest cabin category. We could be upgraded or not. I think it all depends upon cabin inventory as it gets closer to sail date. They usually provide a discount for accepting a guaranty. I don't entirely understand why they sell cruises this way. Maybe someone else knows what the marketing/business reasons are.

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed your insights. I will be on my first Regent cruise starting on October 27 on Voyager. I paid the standard rate as part of a group for an ROS and got assigned a category G cabin. I wasn't even supposed to get my cabin assignment for another week, but since I did, I was able to book the specialty restaurants and shore excursions.

I am sure I will be comparing the experience with Silver Wind and Silver Whisper. I am expecting to like some things better and some things less.

The spa experiences on my Silversea cruises were not my favorite. I had a wonderful massage, but the girl tried to sell me a bunch of stuff, and that was a turnoff. At my pedicure, she stopped 8 times to wait on walk-ins. I much preferred my half day at Sandy Lane spa in Barbados on one of our stops. Now, that is a spa. Did anyone try to sell you products or other treatments? That might be alright AFTER a treatment, but during a treatment, that is stressful and upsetting.

I love snorkeling too, Poss. You should try French Polynesia. We're addicts, booked on the Paul Gauguin for our 4th visit next year. I hope to get in one or two snorkeling adventures on Voyager.

But for us, a week on Voyager is heaven, and if it's in the winter, and it's easy to get to, all the better. Cheaper than Europe (and Virgin Gorda I bet). At the moment, while we're still fairly mobile, we'll do land trips in Europe, and take our warm winter break on a ship, although an island is always a possibility. And feed our FP addiction whenever we can...

We did a "Guarantee" on the PG and it worked out well. My only concern on the Voyager would be the possibility of receiving a beautiful cabin in the aft part of the ship and having the infamous vibration. I would personally rather be on any deck mid-ship(s) or forward rather than the best suite aft. While we love the Voyager (doing a cruise on her next year), the vibration is a real issue. JMO;)

Wendy: I would dearly love to imagine a trip for us on the PG. I've been salivating over the idea ever since we did our first Regent trip two years ago and found that we loved cruising so much. In fact, I've been watching to see what's going to happen with the Gaughin-- seems very up-in-the-air, no?

There are at least three problems with thinking more committedly about the French Polynesia idea. One is that because there are so many other kinds of vacations we enjoy (e.g. National Parks, lots of hiking, etc), and because cruising on Regent really is quite expensive (truly much more so than comparable time on Virgin Gorda, by the way), we need to limit our cruise vacations to every other year-- and I'm wondering if the PG will even be in the fleet by '09.

The second serious stumbling block for us is the distance. Back in the day, we didn't think twice about flying off to Japan or New Zealand or whatever, but we've increasingly grown to loathe air travel, no doubt both because we're getting up in years and of course because the whole flying scene becomes ever more unpleasant. Much as I dream of a vacation out in the Pacific, I think the dread of getting there has trumped the desire. But, believe me, I never stop drooling over the possibility.

Another factor is that when I've looked at the offerings in the Regent catalogue (ah, yes, a favoirte pasttime), I get so confused. I assume that if I buckled down and did the kind of homework that I always do when I plan other sorts of vacations (I'm a former teacher after all!), I'd soon understand the difference-- pros/cons, whatever-- of the array of delicious choices that are offered. Everything is pretty much a blur at this point. In fact, since you've had the pleasure of doing several of those dream cruises, do you have a favorite? How does one ever choose??

Another factor is that we really are passionate about snorkeling. When we take those Caribbean vacations, we're head down in the water I'd say maybe 5-6 hours a day. Just can't get enough of that magical world. I think that we'd maybe feel frustrated by being able to snorkel only a couple of hours a day.

Well. One of our kids lives in California, so that's surely incentive to keep alive the possibility of hauling way west. If one could stop for a while on that coast both coming and going, I think we might think about the still-long haul out to FP. But I believe that a stop is allowed only in one direction (using ff miles).

Anyway, thanks for your in-put. Food for the dream!

Wow, 5-6 hours a day snorkeling. Now that's dedication. I'm surprised Virgin Gorda is cheaper than a 7-day RSSC Caribbean itinerary. But then we have to include the travel cost, which would be higher for us coming from Canada. And the logistics of getting to one of the small islands has to be factored-in. We have been to Harbour Island, off Eleuthera, twice and loved it, but getting there is a pain. With Voyager, we just fly to Fort Lauderdale and get on the boat. And with the 2-for-one prices on many of these trips, it's really quite reasonable for us.

As for the PG, there used to be really no choice. There was the 7-day Societies itinerary, period. They had a yearly 14-day to the Marquesas and that was it. Now the itineraries are all over the map. That being said, I'm not sure the longer itineraries are a good choice for a first trip--there is a fair amount of sea time. The 7-day itinerary is amazing, and very port intensive. Lots of time for snorkeling and other water-based adventures. Two nights in each of Bora Bora and Moorea. I would suggest doing that, but adding a pre-cruise package to Moorea, or if the prices aren't out of sight (which they are), go for somewhere more exotic like Huahine or Manihi. Our first trip we did a 3-day pre-cruise to Manihi, and had the best snorkeling of our lives, right off the pier. Tahit's just okay, although we will probably do a 2-night precruise there again next time.

If we manage to get the money together, our next adventure will be the 14-day to the Marquesas, a long-time dream for us. I would definitely NOT recommend that itin. to you, since there's little or no snorkeling or diving in these islands, since they have no barrier reefs.

I agree about the flying. My husband David has a sister in L.A. however, and we usually have dinner with them on the way through, and overnight in L.A.

P.S., we also never go for a balcony cabin, but an "E" with a window. Saves a bucket for another trip. You are outside so much on this trip, that it really doesn't seem to matter that much.

Archived