Can i register my honeymoon cruise as wedding gifts?

cruise info

I want to register our honeymoon cruise for our wedding gifts. we don't need things for the house, we want to go on an amazing cruise for our honeymoon and not go into debt doing it while being able to enjoy getting a massage, having a drink, offshore excursions. does anyone know how to do this somehow so people can see what they are purchasing for you? any tips or ideas would be appreciated! thank you!

I want to register our honeymoon cruise for our wedding gifts. we don't need things for the house, we want to go on an amazing cruise for our honeymoon and not go into debt doing it while being able to enjoy getting a massage, having a drink, offshore excursions. does anyone know how to do this somehow so people can see what they are purchasing for you? any tips or ideas would be appreciated! thank you!

I have done this several times for my brides. They list me as the contact for any travel plans and then if they want to contribute to the cruise, they call in to me, I call into Princess (or any cruiseline) and either apply it to the cruise itself or purchase on board credit for the couple. I then sent a receipt to the guest who was purchasing the credit. I send the list to the brides so they can see who bought what for the thank you cards.

Ask your TA to set up a web site for you so that people can keep up to date on your wedding and how to post payments to your cruise for your honeymoon.

What if enough folks don't "contribute" --will you still go?

I think it's kind of like asking for money instead of gifts--not really proper etiquette. No one should "expect" gifts, and they certainly should not ASK for them!!!!!

(Now, if a friend or relative is asked what a couple may want, then it's fine for them to mention it, but you NEVER should!!!!!)

What if enough folks don't "contribute" --will you still go?

I think it's kind of like asking for money instead of gifts--not really proper etiquette. No one should "expect" gifts, and they certainly should not ASK for them!!!!!

(Now, if a friend or relative is asked what a couple may want, then it's fine for them to mention it, but you NEVER should!!!!!)

Agreed!!!!!

We were invited to a wedding and inside the invitation was a request that only cash would be acceptable, no checks or gifts.:eek:

We declined to attend but did send a check with a note that basically said we didn't wish to send cash through the mail and that the check could be returned to us if the bride and groom didn't want to take the time to cash it.;)

FWIW, not everyone now a days is starting off a "new home" when they marry. Many people already own homes as working adults, and don't need to set up a new household. How many sets of dishes do you need? We don't even want to talk about divorced people who are remarrying. With that thought, it's not the least bit tacky to ask for unusual but useful gifts instead of same old stuff. She never said she was putting anything in her wedding invitation (which would be tacky), she said she wanted to register just like every new bride in the country, just with the cruise line instead of Boscov's or Macy's. Then family or friends could tell people to contribute toward the cruise vice buy another toaster the newlyweds have to return for store credit. So, please, take off the blinders and reread what she asked, don't insert words or inference into it.

FWIW, not everyone now a days is starting off a "new home" when they marry. Many people already own homes as working adults, and don't need to set up a new household. How many sets of dishes do you need? We don't even want to talk about divorced people who are remarrying. With that thought, it's not the least bit tacky to ask for unusual but useful gifts instead of same old stuff. She never said she was putting anything in her wedding invitation (which would be tacky), she said she wanted to register just like every new bride in the country, just with the cruise line instead of Boscov's or Macy's. Then family or friends could tell people to contribute toward the cruise vice buy another toaster the newlyweds have to return for store credit. So, please, take off the blinders and reread what she asked, don't insert words or inference into it.

I totally agree with this poster. As a second time bride with a first time groom we already have everything we need for our household. Honestly the first time I got married most of the trays and crystal bowls etc still are not used by us.

Today everything is registered. I actually prefer it since it makes it easier to shop when I am so busy with kids etc. My mom posts a Christmas list on her fridge every year. So convenient for the person who has everything. I would never have guessed that she wanted two blue towels for her bathroom lol.

I would definitely give your TA info if someone asks what you are wanting. I think it is better than asking for money.

We registered with a TA for our Honeymoon(all-inclusive). It worked out fine for us. I first discussed it with my family and bridal party. They didn't seem to mind. And yes I did put it in my bridal shower invitations. It was just a little card from my TA about being registered there. No one is required to bring any kind of gift to a wedding or shower, but we all choose to, so whats wrong with getting something that you want? I don't know any couple that didn't register for wedding gifts at a dept. store.

I say go for it, don't worry about what everyone else thinks!!!

Congrats!!!

Not in the least bit tacky. Everybody gives wedding gifts (tacky is when you don't). Nothing says you can't give that tacky candlestick holder or picture frame if you think the person needs more such clutter. But it actually shows thoughtfulness to give the couple something they will appreciate, instead of something they have to remember to bring out the basement closet to display when you are visiting. I mean, giving gifts that are wanted and appreciated is the point of gift-giving isn't it? And let's be frank, not very many people take great enjoyment out of wedding gift shopping either.

I know that our friends appreciated the obc we gave them for their honeymoon cruise more than they would have liked anything we could have picked out for their already well decorated home.

I totally agree with this poster. As a second time bride with a first time groom we already have everything we need for our household. Honestly the first time I got married most of the trays and crystal bowls etc still are not used by us.

Today everything is registered. I actually prefer it since it makes it easier to shop when I am so busy with kids etc. My mom posts a Christmas list on her fridge every year. So convenient for the person who has everything. I would never have guessed that she wanted two blue towels for her bathroom lol.

I would definitely give your TA info if someone asks what you are wanting. I think it is better than asking for money.

It's tacky to ask for cash, no matter whether it's your first wedding or your 100th. There is no way to dress that pig up to make it not tacky.

The usual and socially appropriate thing for more established couples to do is to specify "no gifts" and to explain to those who ask that they have all the household items they need and the best gift would be the person's presence and/or good wishes. Those who are very close will still find an appropriate gift (not another toaster).

Certainly the cruise lines and travel agents would love to encourage the practice, since they will make more money if others help pay for the cruise. But that doesn't change the fact that you are asking for money!

PS, I think in some cultures giving money as a wedding gift is the social norm, but if the bride to be were from one of those cultures, she wouldn't be asking the question.

I also agree "not tacky". I was married 30 years ago and never thought of sleeveless wedding gowns, orange/red roses on a cake, bubbles instead of rice throwing.....but now, weddings & gift giving are different. I totally agree, it is hard to buy a gift when you have 2 well established adults who "have everything". I'd rather put $25-$50 towards something they'd use/fun on a honeymoon cruise than on a wasted gift or gift certificate which is often "regifted".

You can spin it all you want. This is just tacky.

How is registering with a Travel Agent, any different than registering with Crate and Barrel, Nordstom, or Target?

Personally I'd be fine with giving a gift that went towards a honeymoon. :p I'm going to be giving them a gift either way, and I'd much rather it be something I know they really want, instead of something they don't want or need, and now have to take the time to return.

How is registering with a Travel Agent, any different than registering with Crate and Barrel, Nordstom, or Target?

Personally I'd be fine with giving a gift that went towards a honeymoon. :p I'm going to be giving them a gift either way, and I'd much rather it be something I know they really want, instead of something they don't want or need, and now have to take the time to return.

right on!

Tacky or not, this is how it is done now. There are too many people who are getting married for the second, third, whatever time, already have homes, children, and whatever they need. When I buy gifts for my nieces and nephews and friends children, I always ask what to get them, what do they need, favorite store, etc. This way they get what they want and my money wasn't wasted on a gift that sits in a closet. As another poster said, what is the difference in registering with Macys or registering with a TA? The commission stays the same, no matter who pays for it, and it is extra work for the TA/Agency, but if they work with brides and honeymooners, this is not a problem for them.

Does anyone still give hope chests as gifts to girls when they graduate from HS? Times change, as does social etiquette and what is acceptable. This is now acceptable. :)

That dressing up a pig comment was a little harsh, don't you think?

That dressing up a pig comment was a little harsh, don't you think?

Sorry, just a Southern expression. No offense intended.

But none of these arguments that "it just makes sense in today's world" will change my view that it is tacky to ask for cash.

How is the couple going to fondly associate the gift with the giver? "Gee, thanks Aunt Sally for the two hours I spent on the Lido deck Tuesday..."

Registering for someone to donate a massage, or an excursion, or a wine basket - that would be fine in my view, and very much like registering with Target, etc. Asking for a contribution to the cruise fare is the same as asking for cash.

Archived